mp3 players

mitsufan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
I'm looking into getting a mp3 player for my system. I'm just tired of loading cd's and such and w/ a 30gig player I can load everythng and have hours of music. I'm looking and something that will be versitile such as Toshiba's Gigabite or Creative Labs Zen. They do mp3's well and sound great, from reviews, hold and dl pictures from cameras, and also playback video imported. The Ipod is so restrictive to only one computer. I've got most of my songs already that I want but If I was on vacation and purchased a CD and loaded it into my laptop and copied it then it won't work as I've got to be on my home machine to do it. I'm not too interested in the extra serivces as music is my main priority. Any thought ideas things to consider?

FYI, The ipod is not restricted to one computer. Music you buy from the ITUNES store is limited, in that it can be played on up to 5 of your computers.

Do you have a newer generation DVD player?? Both my old one (RCA) and new one (Oppo upconverting unit) play MP3s, I believe the Oppo even does WMA. Maybe your's does and you just don't know it?? I got my wife an iRiver MP3 player for xmas, it's pretty nice, holds 512MB of music which is enough for her. I'ld need one of thse mini plug to RCA splitters and I could hook it up to my main stereo, I have a HTPC though. You could do that too . . . HTPCs are pretty easy to setup now a days . . .

FYI, The ipod is not restricted to one computer. Music you buy from the ITUNES store is limited, in that it can be played on up to 5 of your computers.

So I could hookup a Ipod to any machine and copy my mpegs to it, it’s only songs from I tunes that are restricted then? Are there other benefits of the Ipods that are better than the others I listed?

Do you have a newer generation DVD player?? Both my old one (RCA) and new one (Oppo upconverting unit) play MP3s, I believe the Oppo even does WMA. Maybe your's does and you just don't know it?? I got my wife an iRiver MP3 player for xmas, it's pretty nice, holds 512MB of music which is enough for her. I'ld need one of thse mini plug to RCA splitters and I could hook it up to my main stereo, I have a HTPC though. You could do that too . . . HTPCs are pretty easy to setup now a days . . .

I’m looking to keep it portable so I can use it in a variety of applications in my boat, car, trailer etc. No my DVD is old school it’s a Pioneer 414 from say ’98 era and doesn’t play mp3’s as I’ve tried. I’m waiting for the HD-DVD war to cease before I jump into it. If my player went I’d go HD-DVD at this point, but I digress. I have a portable DVD player that I wanted to watch shows that I downloaded from my Tivo Series II from the mpeg player, but first and foremost I need great music organization and quality sound playback. The video and pictures are just an added bonus but not the most important issue.

For what you want, any player would work fine. Your best bet is to go to Best Buy or something and try out the ipod, creative zen, or the one from microsoft, and others and find out which one you like best for the price. But, for someone who is going to be playing music on a home theater system, MP3's are garbage. Sure they are convenient, like in the car or while jogging or not wanting to change cd's, but when you are seriously listening to music, like in a home theater environment, MP3's destroy the high fidelity audio that CD's and Vinyl Records provide. MP3 is called "lossy" audio compression, which means when you encode a CD into the MP3 format, the encoder throws out data that it thinks is inaudible to humans. This "inaudible" data is usually the attenuation of bass or the distortion of higher frequencies such as cymbol crashes or the high frequencies of a violin. The sound quallity gets even worse as you go down the bit rate ladder. I can deal with 320 Kbps MP3's at low volumes, but anything lower, like 128 Kbps, sound terrible. Try listening to XM radio at a store demo hooked up to a good pair of speakers, you will hear what I am talking about. I believe they encode their music at around 96 Kbps or lower using their own proprietary codec, but it still sounds terrible. Basically encoding CD's to MP3 destroys the subtle harmonics of music into a pile of digital mush that sounds harsh and tinny and personally, makes me want to grind my teeth. For the best audio quality and convenience, I would recommend a 300 CD changer that goes for around $200, about the same price you would pay for a MP3 player.

Last edited:
I know that mp3's do lose the audio quality and for the music in which I'm most concerned w. I will listen to the CD. The home audio system is the only one that will I'll really notice a decline in the quality. The rest of the time I'll be using it in applications that in them self degrade the ability to really worry too much about quality. I just don't want to purchase something that has little support and accessories and amenities, so I that's what I'm looking into when deciding upon which player to get.

DUDE, you shoulda been looking back around Thanksgiving. I got my wife a 5 gig mp3 player for like 99 bucks at Ace Hardware on Black Friday... I think the normal price for them is around 200.00 for something that size.

They are if you want to load/unload music with iTunes. I have my own library, it is DRM-free as I ripped all my CDs under linux. That library is setup to work on two PCs in my home, shuffles on one, nano on the other. Because iTunes complains that it is not associated. I called apple and they laughed, ***k Apple, I use Amarok now, but I understand most folks are not willing to use linux for their digital media. I am and I love it.

As far as players go, assess how much music you really have and/or expect to buy over three years. I have just over 2800 songs, all from my own CDs, about 52GB @ 192 (variable). The shuffle is fine for me, I only use the iPod in the gym and 1% of my library is more than enough. for a week. I have 3 playlists that I rotate on it.

The car has an MP3 deck so I can also fit about 8 albums on one CD-R.

I ended up getting a Toshiba Gigabeat 60g player for $199. The MPU is taking sometime to get worked out w/ WM11 but other than that works great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)