Status
Please reply by conversation.

jammy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Beaumont, TX
The deal they are offering at D* website is an upgrade for $299. 4 questions:

1 - Would a call to Retention do any good to try to lower this price? Apparently I'm one of their best customers.

2 - The installation includes something like 150 feet of coax cable.

Does this mean they will go ahead and install this extra cable for me, so that I can have 2 satellite inputs to my receiver and be able to watch one show while recording another?

3 - Will this new receiver give me at least as much functionality as my current HD-DVR with Tivo?

4 - Is it worthwhile paying for the installation of an off-air antenna ($49.99)?

I already have one at the moment installed in the attic, but it only gets me 1 off-air HD channel. I live in DFW area of Texas.

Thanks.

jammy said:
QUOTE]
I called D* today and ordered HR20 DVR and they gave it to me for $19.95 which includes installation, 5 LNB dish, relocate previous DVR, and a cable run for a second line to the new location.

The Order ffrom D*

Attachments

• dtv.jpg
    dtv.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 179
jammy said:

1 - Would a call to Retention do any good to try to lower this price? Apparently I'm one of their best customers.

Yes, very likely.

jammy said:

Does this mean they will go ahead and install this extra cable for me, so that I can have 2 satellite inputs to my receiver and be able to watch one show while recording another?

They should, but that may differ from installer to installer, but I think they are supposed to, as the coax is part of the basic free and/or DVR installs, not to mention if they don't, an argument could be made that you are not getting a fully functioning DVR with only one line, I do recall reading on their website that hooking up the secondary tuner is part of the install.

jammy said:
3 - Will this new receiver give me at least as much functionality as my current HD-DVR with Tivo?

Mmm, you'll probably prefer TiVo, most users prefer it to the D* software if you use certain functions, otherwise, it's functionally similar in most basic, day to day use.

jammy said:
4 - Is it worthwhile paying for the installation of an off-air antenna ($49.99)?

That would depend on your area, and, where in relation to the towers you are situated, etc, you would probably be better off getting your own rather than paying D* for theirs, but if they offer the ANT free, take it and see if it works out.

jammy said:
I already have one at the moment installed in the attic, but it only gets me 1 off-air HD channel. I live in DFW area of Texas.

Thanks.

Check out http://www.antennaweb.org/ it will help you see where your towers are, and recommend an appropriate antenna.

Last edited:
jammy said:

Thanks.

1. Yes call them.
2. They installed a DVR for me in December and ran 150 feet of cable as part of the normal install.
3. Yes
4. Can't help on this one.

jammy said:
There will be no way to test the antenna after installation, since the OTA receiver is disabled on the HR20 (until Oct I hope!). :flag:

mcbeevee said:
There will be no way to test the antenna after installation, since the OTA receiver is disabled on the HR20 (until Oct I hope!). :flag:

He could always hook up the OTA directly to his TV's tuner to test it, if it has one that is. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts