Mpeg h.265 to deliver twice the video quality

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
h265.jpg

H.265 is said to deliver twice the picture quality of H.264 at the same data rate or equal picture quality at half the data rate. If that is true, H.265 can vastly improve HD picture quality and adoption on TV networks and streaming services.

H.265 specifically addresses mobile devices and internet video networks, it is said. H.265 is also called HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding). H.261 was released in early 90, H.262 followed in 1994, H.263 in 1996 and H.264 in 2003. In the last few versions video performance has roughly doubled. The MPEG group also mentions a separate MPEG project that will deliver a glasses-free, compressed 3D video standard by 2014.

Flatpanels HD

wallyhts said:
Makes you wonder if Netflix, amazon or ??? Will try it. Seems that it could help with data caps big time.

I don't think we'll see a lot of adaptation of the standard by streaming providers until there's hardware that can decode it.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

dangue said:
I don't think we'll see a lot of adaptation of the standard by streaming providers until there's hardware that can decode it.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Good point. Wonder if any cheap chipsets are for sale from Broadcom etc...

Very cool.. Can't wait to see the comparison on real equipment. It did take them a while to really make 264 shine.

And just think, the satellite companies and cable cos still have a ton of mpeg2 receivers out in the field.

Imagine the spectrum savings if they switched to this.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Is this similar to mkv?

mkv is a container, it carries audio and video streams.

h.265 is a codec, a way to compress and store (COde) and playback (DECode) a data stream. In this case video.

It can be done in software or hardware. Hardware is preferable as it doesnt pull down any CPU performance. Hardware is usually an Application Specific Integrated Circuit. Very efficient as it does only a limited set of tasks.

Cheers,

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

As I have seen H265 there is little to no visual difference to the end user. Clearly it will benefit streaming companies mostly except those still using RF. Now the question is will your carrier increase your data cap for the same price, I doubt it.
America seems the only country to have data cap limits on its customers, probably due to geographic area or greatly outdated hardware or supplier greed. Hmm I reckon the last two.

pedrogarcia said:
As I have seen H265 there is little to no visual difference to the end user. Clearly it will benefit streaming companies mostly except those still using RF. Now the question is will your carrier increase your data cap for the same price, I doubt it.
America seems the only country to have data cap limits on its customers, probably due to geographic area or greatly outdated hardware or supplier greed. Hmm I reckon the last two.

This new codec means that consumers will be able to view double the streaming video content that they can view under caps today. The big concern would be whether, as streaming becomes more efficient, broadband providers tighten/lower caps to maintain their revenue stream (this is more for wireless than wired- I don't know of many people that have overages on their wired broadband connections).

That is the concern that I have as well, is that broadband connections will have tighter caps as a result. This allows those companies providing broadband to make out four fold. Two by cutting it in half and another two by having half as much bandwidth being used requiring less bandwidth and perhaps lower bandwidth bills on their end and a lower demand for bandwidth lowering their costs even more potentially at least until demand catches back up. They don't want to compete with IPTV. With wireless if they get double the bandwidth on video plus have further improvements in the wireless spectrums and more spectrum available then that should help out a lot. Unfortunately it seems like demand is increasing so much that any improvements made is more than making up for it.

@ Dangue , Absolutely right. I am sure the carriers will first just increase costs to the consumer for the same cap and then halve the cap when they complain. Carrier win win, customer as usual lose or pay more

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)