Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
All DISH Network MPEG2 receivers in the following DMAs will need to be replaced with an MPEG4 receiver by January 31st, 2019.

DMA Location
744 Honolulu, HI
756 Billings, MT
771 Yuma, AZ
743 Anchorage, AK
991 Anchorage, AK
745 Fairbanks, AK
747 Juneau, AK

Interesting that the deadline of those markets is the day the current Ciel 2 lease expires. But Nelson61 in the other thread said that the Dish filed something with the FCC to continue operations at 129.

Reactions: TheKrell
I don’t think it’s satellite related, but rather DMA Size, churn, and upgrade related.

You go back 7-10 years ago when they stopped allowing mpeg2 equipment by being activated.

Then as the years go on, customers slowly upgrade and churn off.

Eventually the number of subscribers gets so small, dish or Directv comes in and pays to upgrade the few remaining hold outs.

This is likely to free up space on the spot beams for the weather channels they want to launch

I'd prefer they free up some more SD space on all their sats and provide more 4K content.
yes totally agree with you on that point more 4k content plus alot of channels that have HD feeds could be added also in the meantime also too,

right now we have two 4k channels one that does regular 4k and the other is 4k HDR no programming on them at the moment Dish could start adding some of those 4k channels i have listed above.

Reactions: TheKrell
Smithsonian Channel 4k Insight Channel 4k,Fashion One 4k, also add the option for 4k Universe.
CuriosityStream in the ondemand section also does Ultra4kHD too.

Those are not real channels, some just produce and show 4K material to the TV stores ( like Best Buy) for demo purposes, the rest are just on demand stuff that you can get on a Roku ( I have Curiosity Stream and have just about exhausted all the 4K Material in the span of a week).

Now if say for example AMC, ESPN, FX and etc went 4K, those would be real channels and that is the problem, none of them feel any kind of urgency to do so, hence that is why there is not even a rumor of any channel going 4K.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
Reactions: harshness
Amazon Prime video offers their own produced tv shows and movies in 4k. Just hook ethernet to the back of your smart tv and sign up. Its time to get on with life and quit bitchin about Dish and what they offer. Cut the cord.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)