Mpeg4 Dvr?

Ray S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Central NJ
Anyone know is there is a DVR, MPEG4 compliant, being made and if it is the 942? Any time frame on availability?

Stargazer said:
I think the new HD MPEG-4 DVR is supposed to roll out towards the end of the year.

The key phrase in the preceding statement is "supposed to roll out". Anyone want to start taking bets? Maybe Scott will sponsor a "tournament" of sorts where we post our bets on what date the very first MPEG4 recevier becomes commercially available and Scott will have a prize for the winner.

If he does, I'm not sure my date of choice would be as early as 2006. :D

Does anyone think since they announced the 411 would replace the 311 and the 811, that current mpeg2 dvr recievers will be replaced by mpeg4 HD DVR's? What is everyone's oppinion on this??

Stacy A said:
The key phrase in the preceding statement is "supposed to roll out". Anyone want to start taking bets? Maybe Scott will sponsor a "tournament" of sorts where we post our bets on what date the very first MPEG4 recevier becomes commercially available and Scott will have a prize for the winner.

I could just about guarantee you that if I bought a 942, the MPEG 4 DVRs would come out the next week.

Thats why I said "supposed to" knowing Dish Network's record on delay after delay with the rollout of some of their products.

My bet - December 11, 2005

Stacy A said:

I know I'll be wrong based on historical evidence, but...
Just like the 921, I believe they will release *SOMETHING*, whether it is ready or not in December of this year, for the Christmas season. I believe they will start advertising in September that it will be ready by Thanksgiving, which it won't, but they'll push something out in limited numbers by mid-December. This way, they can fuel the craze to get the new box, with the advanced features. I picked December 11 because (just like th 921), it really won't be ready, but that's as late as they can deliver and still be part of the Christmas shopping season. And, they'll claim they delivered the first MPEG4 DVR to market (just as was key to 921 being first HD DVR to market...).

Dish...if you want to prove me wrong, please let me be wrong about its stability / readiness for market.

-NICK

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts