mr. ashley judd wins indy 500

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 13, 2005
daytona beach
dario franchitti became the second scotsman to win the 91st indy 500. the race was delayed almost 3 hours by rain and ended on lap 162ish when a second rain storm pelted the speedway.

andretti's are snakebitten again. marco was involved in a hard crash that sent out the final caution flag before the arrival of storm number 2. michael was a non-factor but obviously a proud car owner.

danica finished 8th but was as high as second place.

I can't believe you put Mr Ashley Judd. LOL. I have a different perspective because Ashley went to school here where I live and she basically has nothing to do with us anymore. Her mom and sister come back here all the time.

Anyway congrats to Dario Franchitti!!!!!

i don't think he was lucky. i think his team stratgey was great. i'm thinking if tony kaanan and danica don't pit for a splash and go at the end, one of them would have won.

well, as someone who has followed motorsports for over 40 years, i can tell you that more times than not the winning car gets to victory lane thanks to a number of reasons. there's pit strategy, there's having enough sense to avoid wrecks, there's being at the right place at the right time. very rarely does the fastest car win.

well, as someone who has followed motorsports for over 40 years, i can tell you that more times than not the winning car gets to victory lane thanks to a number of reasons. there's pit strategy, there's having enough sense to avoid wrecks, there's being at the right place at the right time. very rarely does the fastest car win.

You are correct.

Dead wrong. Gordon and Johnson regularly have the best car on the track in NASCAR and their victory totals reflect that.

did either one of them win at charlotte? nope, i believe that was casey mears.

the only reason paint boy is doing well this year is that rick hendick has figured out the car of tommorow, which i don't believe they were racing in the coke 600.

beside, if paint boy and jimmie habitually have the fastest car, they should have more wins than they do.

and, as a longtime nascar fan, until this season, the points system didn't reward the driver with the most wins. its called consistency.

but, hey, what the heck does this retired sports writer know about anything!

did either one of them win at charlotte? nope, i believe that was casey mears.

the only reason paint boy is doing well this year is that rick hendick has figured out the car of tommorow, which i don't believe they were racing in the coke 600.

beside, if paint boy and jimmie habitually have the fastest car, they should have more wins than they do.

and, as a longtime nascar fan, until this season, the points system didn't reward the driver with the most wins. its called consistency.

but, hey, what the heck does this retired sports writer know about anything!
Apparently not much. Mears won A race because of pit stategy it can happen but it is rare. In 1993 Rusty Wallace racked up 10 wins and Dale Earnhardt 6. 16 out of 30 races were won by those two racers. Very few of them can be attributed to "PIT STRATEGY". Now a lot of those races were won in the pits but because of fast pit times keeping them in the lead but that is not "strategy".

In this weekends Indy 500 fiasco we had three things happen that could have individually determined a winner happen all in one race. Two rain storms, a wreck of the strongest car on the track who the 2nd and 3rd place cars showed they couldnt pass earlier in the race (Danica and Andretti) and a bit of pit strategy. The odds of all three of those stars aligning to bunch the cars up so someone could take out the best car, pit strategy to put you out first and a rain storm to stop the race do not occur very often. Dario's victory was a fluke that I doubt he will ever see again at Indy.

You are right that Hendrick has figured out the car of tomorrow. And guess what that means? its the fastest one on the track and its winning. Tell me how much did strategy and being in the right place at the right time help Dick Trickle in his 303 attempts in Nascar Winston cup??? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Tell me how much did strategy and being in the right place at the right time help Dick Trickle in his 303 attempts in Nascar Winston cup??? :rolleyes:

I remember Dick Trickle. He owns the overall record for most short track wins in the US.

thanks ramy.

oh and in case you haven't noticed vurbs, the days of the domineering driver are over as there is more parity in the sport. just look at a list of the past five or six cup champions.

and, hmmm, how many times did it take dale earnhardt, arguably the greatest nascar driver, to win the daytona 500? my favorite was when he blew a tire going into turn 4 on the last lap and derrike cope won the race. derrike cope. i use to love his interviews after the race.....earnhardt that is, not cope!

I remember Dick Trickle. He owns the overall record for most short track wins in the US.
ZERO winston cup wins out of 303. I was confining the discussion to the drivers in the big boy cars. Im sure he won a few races in high school too but thats far from the big leagues.

thanks ramy.

oh and in case you haven't noticed vurbs, the days of the domineering driver are over as there is more parity in the sport. just look at a list of the past five or six cup champions.

and, hmmm, how many times did it take dale earnhardt, arguably the greatest nascar driver, to win the daytona 500? my favorite was when he blew a tire going into turn 4 on the last lap and derrike cope won the race. derrike cope. i use to love his interviews after the race.....earnhardt that is, not cope!
Daytona is only one race. By your dumb luck logic ole Jimmy Spencer should have done far better than 2 for 478 over 18 years in winston cup. Last time I checked Jimmy Johnson had 8 wins in 2005, a championship in 2006 and 4 wins (the most) so far this year. Thats domination over the last 3 years.:rolleyes:

ZERO winston cup wins out of 303. I was confining the discussion to the drivers in the big boy cars. Im sure he won a few races in high school too but thats far from the big leagues.

Ok, just because you think that the only races to win is the now NEXTEL Cup races doesn't mean that anyone else's wins in other venues are that less important.

thanks again ramy.

so lets look at a few more facts. last year, kasey kahne had one more win than jimmie johnson but didn't win the cup. in 2004, johnson had 8 wins and didn't win the cup....i believe it was matt kenseth. i believe the last driver to win back to back cups was paint boy and i'm thinking that was close to 10 years ago.

as i said before, nascar has always previously rewarded drivers for consistency. this year they have tweaked the rules. but even if either gordon or johnson are leading going into the final 10 races, doesn't mean either one of them will win the cup. the drivers basically start all over again with points, so............

Ok, just because you think that the only races to win is the now NEXTEL Cup races doesn't mean that anyone else's wins in other venues are that less important.
They don't mean much except Nascar Busch series as a stepping stone to Nextel Cup. The better racers use those races as tune ups and to become familiar with the tracks. I guess unless you hold CFL teams on par with NFL teams.

thanks again ramy.

so lets look at a few more facts. last year, kasey kahne had one more win than jimmie johnson but didn't win the cup. in 2004, johnson had 8 wins and didn't win the cup....i believe it was matt kenseth. i believe the last driver to win back to back cups was paint boy and i'm thinking that was close to 10 years ago.

as i said before, nascar has always previously rewarded drivers for consistency. this year they have tweaked the rules. but even if either gordon or johnson are leading going into the final 10 races, doesn't mean either one of them will win the cup. the drivers basically start all over again with points, so............
What does Nascars' screwed up point system have to do with anything? You said there are no dominate drivers anymore. But there are. I cant think of a more dominate driver than Gordon. He has passed Dale Sr's win total in a very short time. And I am no Gordon fan.

nascar's screwed up point system rewards consistency versus fastest car. i'll agree paint boy is having a good season but its only almost june. if there was truly a dominant driver in nascar, he would be winning championships like dale sr and paint boy did.

nascar's screwed up point system rewards consistency versus fastest car. i'll agree paint boy is having a good season but its only almost june. if there was truly a dominant driver in nascar, he would be winning championships like dale sr and paint boy did.
Wins don't count as domination? Has anyone currently racing had more wins than Gordon during his time period in Nascar?