MS-E85 5-lnb dish

Derwin0

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
Peachtree City, GA
Found this Dish on line, it's a 5-lnb dish, that says it can do 82, 91, 101, 110, and 119, plus different FSS's as well.
Am tempted to order it and install at my new house to prevent a sprawling Dish Farm with both Dish Network and Expressvu.
I'm think of using it for 82, 91, 105, 110, and 119, by putting in an FSS lnb close to the middle position instead of a DBS for 101.
I like the idea of it better than a Torridial as I could use DishPro lnb's for it.
Anyone have experience using this dish?

MS-E85 5-lnb dish
http://arizatechnology.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28_82&products_id=309&osCsid=ad6f10d75b9d8cf68e890a70a44ebc0e
http://www.skyhighelectronics.com/index.php?cID=13&pID=MS-E85
Description:
Rail mount and LNB holders allow to install 4 different LNBs
Circular Polarity for 82, 91, 101, 110, 119
Linear Polarity for Galaxy 10, Telstar 5, etc.
Excellent alternative to the T90

Specs:
• Galvanized steel construction
• Eliptical 30" x 33" size
• Can receive multiple satellites
• Boxed and easy to install
• Wind Loading Operational 80km/h (50mph) winds
• Wind Loading Survival 200kmh (125mph) winds

You may want to check with the manufacture before purchasing because I am not sure 105 will work with the dish since it is vertical and horizonal polarization not circular.

The product description mentions linear. Which is mostly of function of the lnb anyway. I already have a lnb from an old superdish 105 that i have for baltimore guide data.
If it doesn't work, then no biggee, but I'd like the other 4 onto one dish though.

Since it mentions that it does linear polarity, then it should be able to pick up the 105. However, keep in mind that you will have to actually skew the lnb itself to get the proper polarity with an FSS lnb. Also keep in mind that anytime you use a dish like that for multiple locations you will probably loose signal stregnth. A lot of people think that the 110 and 119 on a SD will pick up better, but this is not really the case since the dish is actually designed and curved for the FSS sat, and the DBS sats are not getting an optimial reflection. Since DBS sats are circular and designed with a lot of slop in mind, they work ok when attached to FSS dishes, but I have found that you get a better signal and less fade with a D500 over using say a starband dish the the E* kit.

I understand most FSS lnb's are not dishpro. But the 105 from a superdish 105 can be seperated from the other 2 (unlike the 121 which is molded into the 119). I figure I'll play trial and error with it. Only need 105 for Baltimore guide data, so no huge loss if I can't get it.

But I like the idea of getting 82/91 and 110/119 on one dish, so I can go from 3 down to 2 (also have 61.5 hooked up).

Well i bit the bullet and ordered the dish. It arrived in yesterday's delivery. Climbed up to the roof and hooked it up. The section of patio roof is fairly flat and has an awesome southern view.
Set it up for 82/91/110/119. Set the center point for 105 as I plan to put a 105 lnb there (The dish allows spacing of 4 degrees). Set AZ/EL/Skew to 105 Superdish, and lo and behole, strong signals at each location, woohoo.
When centered at 105, the 82 is almost as far over as you can go. But on the other side I saw that I can put 129 on the far end, once Dish puts something there.
Makes for a nice solution.
My next plan (when the lnb's get here) is hook up the 105 lnb, and maybe try a 121/129 lnb (though I don't think it'll work as the focal is probably different (but nothing ventured, nothing gained).
The only flaw I have seen, is that there is no way to get 61.5 on with 119, as the max distance is 58 degrees. But a Directv person could get 72/101/110/119 though.

Various combinations that I see will work:
82/91/105/110/119/129 (105 should be okay, but havent tried an FSS yet)
110/119/129/148/157 (157 is below my horizon so I'll never be able to verify.
105/110/119/129/148 (105 might be a problem, as it won't be in the center)
72.5/101/110/119 (Full Directv plan, or Dish plus Directv 101 and 72.5. Using 119 for both Dish and Directv is possble is using legacy.
61.5/72.5/82/91/101 (Sky Angel/Bell/Directv)

Too bad that 61.5 still makes me have multiple dishes, oh well.

I will let everyone know how my efforts with 105 and 121 go.

Note, I had to remove the shrouds from the lnb's, as they clamp on at the necks. No biggee, as they are sealed, and duct tape makes them even more sealed.

I know this thread is kinda old, but I was curious to see how the MS-E85 5-lnb dish worked with FSS sats? Can you do multiple FTA sats with this dish?

AMC3 @ 87
IA6 @ 93
IA5 @ 97
G10 @ 123

Also, how is the quality/workmanship of this dish? After a year in the elements and probably a few storms, how is it holding up? Is it rusting or holding up nicely?

Actually holding up pretty nicely.
I had it centered on 105 for a while, but removed the 105 when E10 was getting ready to go up (only used 105 for Baltimore guide data).
Right now I only have 82/91/110/119 on it. I tried putting 129 on it, but it was at the very edge of the dish and didn't get anything, unlike 82 which was almost as close to the opposite side and got a signal.
When the new 118/119 lnb comes out, I'll probably slap one on and see how that turnes out. I can get as close to a 2 degree spacing, so am tempted to put my old 105 lnb at 118 and shove my 119 to 120, and trade off a litter bit of it's signal, when AMC reaches 118, but we shall see.

But other than than, I haven't tested how an FSS lnb works other than being the center lnb.

Thanks for the reply. So this dish seems to be good quality?
Does it have markings on it to set the elevation/skew/spacing? Is it easy to tune multiple sats with this dish?
You said you were able to get a 2 degree spacing..was that via markings or trial and error?

I wonder how it works for the FTA birds that all require 30in dishes?
The manufacturer website mentions that it will do T5 and G10, but I was hoping someone actualy tried it out with an FSS LNB off center. Anyone?

Just a thought regarding your setup as a pre-test for the 118 satellite. Could you slap your linear lnb next to your 119 and see if you could pick up 121?
That would answer the question of whether it could pick up an FSS bird when the FSS LNB is off-center on this dish.

Also, instead of waiting for the 118/119 LNB, would an invacom quad work for your setup? Use it for 119/121 as a test and then shift it to 118/119?
This is speculation on my part.

The skew is marked the same as a Directv dish, so add 90 if using a Dish Network skew.

There is a curve bar mounted on the arm. Lnb's are then mounted onto this bar with holders. The bar has marks at every degree. There are a total of 45 marks, the center mark, and 22 on either side, for a total of a 45 degree sweep.
The lnb holders then have arrows beside the mounting screw that you can line up with the marks. Depending on the direction the mounts are installed, you can have 2, 4, or 6 degree spacing between lnbs.

I cented my dish to aim at 105, and used Dish Networks EL, AZ, and skew settings for that.

I then placed an lnb 5 marks to the left for 110, 14 marks to the left for 119, 14 marks to the right for 91. 82 I have hanging off the bar, so guestimated 1 extra degree for it. Works well, but 2 extra marks won't work as I couldn't do the same with 129. When I do, I loose 82. So a 47 degree sweep seems to be the absolute max.

As for testing 121, it wouldn't be anytime soon, as I'm going camping for the long weekend. Plus the dish is up on the roof.
Probably wouldn't be able to get to it for about 2 weeks.