MS says Office 2013 licenses can't transfer

If you're IT of any significant size, you reimage both Windows and Office from volume license media, which has no such restrictions. You simply keep a count of how many licenses you have and make sure you don't have more than that in use at any time.

Thats what I'm normally doing. I just wasn't sure if this affected volume licensing.

Office 365 is the way to go plus you can install it up to 5 clients as well and cheaper as well.

Maybe if their community could actually agree on a universal interchange format, we could make some progress.
But everyone is too busy/lazy/uninformed.
We laugh at the EU for trying and then our DoD goes out and commits to Office 2013.

We could easily agree if Microsoft weren't giving Office away to the major players in the patently false name of interoperability.

Well, you tend to be as soon as you collaborate on something, be it work, professional groups, or hobbies that require common paperwork.
Just about anything (except some of the very obscure features in Microsoft Office) can support RTF (WP) and CSV (spreadsheets, databases) files. I personally prefer tab-separated format to CSV. HTML can also be effective as a document format (as long as nobody bludgeons it to death by resaving it with a Microsoft application).

If distribution is the only issue, PDF makes a whole lot more sense than an editable document format. The *nix community has been using Postscript for quite a long time. Using Word or Excel to exchange photos or simple text is unforgiveable.

The standard is whatever the group decides it can get away with and it should be chosen as part of the chartering process.

harshness:

In the business world, the Office Suite is the de facto standard. Whether we like it or not, that's the way it is in the vast majority of corporations in the US.

Cheers,

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

In the business world, the Office Suite is the de facto standard. Whether we like it or not, that's the way it is in the vast majority of corporations in the US.
There was also a time when Lotus 1-2-3 and Word Perfect were the defacto standards. Before that, there was Microsoft Multiplan and Wordstar. All of these defacto standards eventually fell by the wayside in the name of ease of use and "latest technology" but the truth is that they all became too "pretty" and crumbled under the weight of the gingerbread.

Standards come and go and we're in dire need of a new standard that doesn't require the resources (training, financial and computer) that Office gobbles.

There was also a time when Lotus 1-2-3 and Word Perfect were the defacto standards. Before that, there was Microsoft Multiplan and Wordstar. All of these defacto standards eventually fell by the wayside in the name of ease of use and "latest technology" but the truth is that they all became too "pretty" and crumbled under the weight of the gingerbread.

Standards come and go and we're in dire need of a new standard that doesn't require the resources (training, financial and computer) that Office gobbles.

Absolutely right on. They are overloaded with bloat.

Sent from my S3 using SatelliteGuys

I really liked Lotus.

Of course, I really liked dBaseII & III.

I almost sold a shop on a scale to register setup using off the shelf software (mostly) for pricing and inventory control. But she just couldn't trust the early (pre-MS) computers, although she saw a huge savings in daily close-outs. Sigh.

When Ashton Tate let go of dBASE, it was a dark day. FoxPro from Fox Software was nice but Microsoft spent a long time bedeviling it with their special hodge-podge of ever-changing development environments. Such are the trials and tribulations of trying to make heavy duty business applications work with Windows.

I miss green bar. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)