MSNBC in HD on June 29

Well, Dish certainly has a better relationship with NBCU than Fox.

While, I guess it's time for all those that wanted Fox News HD so bad to say MSNBC HD would be a waste of bandwidth.:)

Well, Dish certainly has a better relationship with NBCU than Fox.

While, I guess it's time for all those that wanted Fox News HD so bad to say MSNBC HD would be a waste of bandwidth.:)

OK, I'll bite...

Based on ratings, this should not be high on the list of new additions. The biggest complaint from those of us who wanted Fox News HD is that it is the highest rated cable news network, therefore more demand and more draw for new Dish customers.

Politics aside, not adding Fox News HD was a more boneheaded decision than not adding MSNBC would be, simply based on the ratings and demand for the channel.

To back up my ratings statements, I here are the ratings for yesterday from mediabistro.com:

Wednesday Apr 08, 2009
The Scoreboard: Tuesday, April 7

25-54 demographic: (L +SD)
spacer.gif

Total day: FNC: 339 | CNN: 191 | MSNBC: 153 | HLN: 145
spacer.gif

Prime: FNC: 708 | CNN: 210 | MSNBC: 337 | HLN: 240

With that being said, I welcome any new HD... but if we are prioritizing based on "content" and "demand" as we've heard in the past, certainly MSNBC is pretty low on the list as would be HLN.

As odd as it may seem, HD channels aren't added based on ratings (ie, WFN, VS, CBS College, etc...)

OK, I'll bite...

Based on ratings, this should not be high on the list of new additions. The biggest complaint from those of us who wanted Fox News HD is that it is the highest rated cable news network, therefore more demand and more draw for new Dish customers.

Politics aside, not adding Fox News HD was a more boneheaded decision than not adding MSNBC would be, simply based on the ratings and demand for the channel.

To back up my ratings statements, I here are the ratings for yesterday from mediabistro.com:

Wednesday Apr 08, 2009
The Scoreboard: Tuesday, April 7

25-54 demographic: (L +SD)
spacer.gif

Total day: FNC: 339 | CNN: 191 | MSNBC: 153 | HLN: 145
spacer.gif

Prime: FNC: 708 | CNN: 210 | MSNBC: 337 | HLN: 240

With that being said, I welcome any new HD... but if we are prioritizing based on "content" and "demand" as we've heard in the past, certainly MSNBC is pretty low on the list as would be HLN.

MSNBC is ahead of CNBC. Yet we have the latter.

I guess we should also eliminate TLC, BET, MTV, Lifetime Movies, Bravo, Animal Planet, Biography, Golf, and the Weather Channel, not to mention most of the premiums, because they get too low of ratings.

Weekly Cable Network Nielsen TV Ratings; USA, Nickelodeon, ESPN, Disney Channel - Look for "MSNB"

CNBC hardly qualifies as a real HD channel. So much of its content is fuzzy SD video-based footage thrown into a window surrounded by lots of stock quotes and such. The on screen graphics outside of the SD window are the only thing HD. Most of the prime time TV shows are mere SD. It's rare anything produced in native HD is shown on that channel.

Please Dish! I watch more MSNBC then anything else.

Wow great news. I would switch to DirecTV if need be for this channel.

June 29th is a Monday so likely would miss the first two days of HD programming unless Dish activates the channel early so it gets switched on for the 29th.

CNBC hardly qualifies as a real HD channel. So much of its content is fuzzy SD video-based footage thrown into a window surrounded by lots of stock quotes and such. The on screen graphics outside of the SD window are the only thing HD. Most of the prime time TV shows are mere SD. It's rare anything produced in native HD is shown on that channel.
It is precisely because of all the text and graphics that makes HD work so well for CNBC, and FBN as well. It has made all that previously fuzzy clutter very clear and legible. The tickers, graphs, and headlines are now valuable. I don't even watch the video window, or listen to any of those morons talking.

Morning Joe is good laid back news show. I catch it sometime in morning. Mika will definitely be more easy on eyes in HD :)

Journalism in HD on channel 209! There isn't any after channel 200 unless you count C-SPAN.

CNBC hardly qualifies as a real HD channel. So much of its content is fuzzy SD video-based footage thrown into a window surrounded by lots of stock quotes and such. The on screen graphics outside of the SD window are the only thing HD.

You could replace "CNBC" with "Fox News" in that statement.

The Prime programming is exactly the same thing as the SD channel, it is framed for 4x3. There is some difference in resolution, but those seeing Bill O'Reilly in higher resolution might decide to switch to the SD channel. :D Seriously though, there is no real reason for HD for talking heads studio shows.

Of course, the exact same thing applies to most of the Viacom HD channels as well, which brings up that:

The main reason that Satellite Guys members want a channel in HD is so that they can move to a Turbo HD-only package. The actual presence of HD programming does not matter to most.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts