MSNBC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HanoverPretzel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2006
One oddity that exists in the Dish Network lineup is that MSNBC is available in the Welcome Pack, but not available on America's Top 120 and America's Top 120 Plus. In order to get it, one has to either subscribe to at least America's Top 200, or slide down the ladder all the way to a package that is basically "local channels, MSNBC, and some other random stuff".

In addition to that, it is also a strange situation in so far as MSNBC is a staple of "expanded basic cable" -- not in every market, but in the vast majority of them. America's Top 120 Plus seems to be the most equivalent package, but doesn't have it.

Finally, without MSNBC in most popular dish packages, it leaves people with a conservative news channel (FOXNews) and a moderate news channel (CNN), but no channel representing liberals or the Democratic Party or however you want to put it. So, there is a lack of ideological balance in terms of the news offerings without MSNBC in America's Top 120(+). CurrentTV appears to be set to morph into a liberal news offering -- but it's not available in that 120 package either.

Anyone know what the deal is? Any chance of MSNBC being added to America's Top 120(+) sometime this year?

It's an issue for me personally because it's my favorite news channel and I'm probably going to have to slide to America's Top 120 Plus at the end of the year when my new customer promotional rate expires. But I doubt it's just me. Democrats are half the country, give or take, and since the party is known to represent the little guy, I'm guessing a lot of people who can't afford the higher packages want to see it.

MSNBC is my choice too. When we downgraded from the 250 pack I could go no lower than the 200 for just this reason. MSNBC was not in the lower pack but CNN and Fox News are. Doesn't seem right for it to be this way. We watch CNN now and then but we never watch Fox.

What is this MSNBC you speak of? Is that one of those infomercial channels??

If you are watching that for your news you have far more problems that worrying about what pack it is in.....:D:D (....just a little humor...)

BTW I would say AT120 is close to Cable basic....

Last edited:
All channels are put in particular packages based on the agreement between the channel and the provider. Usually the provider must pay more in order for the channel to be placed in lower tiers. Often providers will not pay a lot of money to place a channel that is not very popular into a tier that reaches more subs. MSNBC is no different. Whether or not you like FOX or MSNBC, or agree with one over the other, the fact remains that FOX is many more viewers, thus making it more popular and more of a demand. Because of this providers will end up paying more to carry FOX in lower package tiers.

It has nothing to do with politics or the leanings of the station, it is simply about ratings...period

HanoverPretzel said:
In addition to that, it is also a strange situation in so far as MSNBC is a staple of "expanded basic cable" -- not in every market, but in the vast majority of them. America's Top 120 Plus seems to be the most equivalent package, but doesn't have it.

I disagree, I believe AT120 is actually the closest thing to a basic cable package. I don't think there are many providers that offer MSNBC in their least expensive tier. But hey, if you enjoy liberal news, there's always the news broadcasts on ABC, NBC, CBS, and PBS. Might not be 24 hours, but trust me, there's a lot of it.

Last edited:
MSNBC?? Never heard of it.. Nor has hardly anyone else according to the ratings.. :)

It was beating CNN in the 8:00pm hour recently. Don't know if that is still true or not after losing Olbermann (The former host of MSNBC's 8:00 show).

MSNBC is my choice too. When we downgraded from the 250 pack I could go no lower than the 200 for just this reason. MSNBC was not in the lower pack but CNN and Fox News are. Doesn't seem right for it to be this way. We watch CNN now and then but we never watch Fox.

MSNBC is basically the reason I have AT200 right now also. I looked at the packages and said "What's the cheapest package I can get that has both Orioles games (and other basic sports content) and MSNBC?", and selected that package. There are some other channels (mainly sports related) that AT200 has and AT120+ doesn't, that I enjoy getting, but none are really "must haves" for me the way MSNBC is.

Economic necessity may force a move further down in year two of my contract after the promotional rate expires, though. I'm under contract for year two, but in year three if someone can offer me a cheaper package (or one at the same price as AT120+) that includes all the basic stuff I watch including MSNBC...

I always thought of basic as being a lifeline type service with over-the-air stuff, and expanded basic being a "no cable box" wire-into-the-television service with the core stuff that one thinks of as cable (ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, TBS, USA, local sports RSNs, etc..). I vaguely remember that being the way it used to be on old cable bills of yesteryear (I could be wrong). Even the cable companies have moved off that specific terminology, though -- my last bills with Comcast called it something else.

I don't think there are many providers that offer MSNBC in their least expensive tier.

Comcast offers MSNBC on their most common tier in my area, which is essentially the lowest tier people are willing to pay for. That excludes their lifeline type service and a new offering that doesn't have sports they are trying to sell people on -- those are lower, but most people just say "Forget it" and pocket the money instead of paying for tv if they get to that point.

But hey, if you enjoy liberal news, there's always the news broadcasts on ABC, NBC, CBS, and PBS. Might not be 24 hours, but trust me, there's a lot of it.

I consider those news broadcasts to be center-right. There may have been a "liberal news media" a few decades ago, but if there ever was, there isn't today. The most watched cable news outlet is very conservative (FOXNews), conservative talk show hosts dominate am radio, and a lot of the "objective" network news casts frame things in a conservative way (i.e. "Should we cut social programs drastically or just a little?" rather than "Should we cut them at all?" or "Should we increase them?").

What is this MSNBC you speak of? Is that one of those infomercial channels??

If you are watching that for your news you have far more problems that worrying about what pack it is in.....:D:D (....just a little humor...)

yes its the infomercial channel:D:)

This discussion to be continued at sonicbabble.com in 5.....4.....3....2....

BOOM!

yep sadly folks feel the need to discuss politics when we have a simple policy...don't discuss it here

closed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)