Multi-Dish configuration for FL fringe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gatorfannum1

Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Settings for 5 LNB dish in Bahamas

does anyone know how to find the settings for the 5 LNB dish set up in the Bahamas specifically Abaco?

I think he should be able to get reception out there. Possible even some of the Florida spot beams. I think Abaco is about 160 miles East of West Palm Beach.

Any luck with the 5LNB dish in the Bahamas? I am in Exuma and have mounted the slimline LNB to a 36 inch dish?

tks

5LNB Slimline install

I have a slimline 5LNB head which I have mounted on a 36" dish in Exuma Bahamas. I get 95% on 110 and 95% on 119, but cannot get anything on 99, 101, or 103.

Are these spot beams for Florida? And if so, am I out of range?

Tks

You should be able to get 101, it is the primary D* sat. 99 and 103 are much more defined area and my be less likely.

Which transponders are you getting on 110/119? Dish network also has satellites at 110/119.

Supplier for 48 or 60 inch dish?

I am in the Bahamas and can get a signal strength of 36% for sat 103B using the Slimline 5LNB head and a 36 inch dish. Any suggstions where I can purchase a 48 or 60 inch dish to try to pull n more signal?

Tks

Added dish size with the 5 LNB array will not garner great results. The dish you add MUST be designed for that specific LNB array. It's pan shape determines the reflect angles that direct signal to the heads. So just getting bigger & bigger is NOT the answer.

Now that being said; YOU MIGHT; I said MIGHT as I am no super-expert, be able to use multiple larger single dishes each aimed at a specific orbital slot & tie them all together to send to the house. This is only mental theory based on FTA use; not sure if or how this may work for DirecTV USA signals and receivers down in the Bahamas.

I have 3 dishes in the Bahamas. One 36 inch dish pulling in 119 at 95%. Second dish is 36 inch pulling in 101 at 95%. Third dish is jury-rigged with a 5LNB slimline head. I can get 103B only at 36%. I do not know about 99 or 110. Trying to figure out if it is worth it to try a 48 or 60 inch dish to get HD. Do I need all five signals? 99, 101, 103, 110, and 119?

Tks

Any reason why you keep making new threads on the same topic? Or am I mistaken? It would be a whole lot easier to answer all the questions for you in one place seeing that they all appear to be about the same system. Most have also already been answer as well in the previous threads.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/133656-multi-dish-configuration-fl-fringe.html

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/133506-supplier-48-60-inch-dish.html

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/133440-5lnb-slimline-install.html

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/126661-settings-5-lnb-dish-bahamas.html

I only have a high school diploma.... and even that was dodgy. I am getting some replies, but still don't understand which sats I need for HD and if a bigger dish will do it.

Thanks.

As answered in one of your other threads; you CAN"T add a bigger dish to the 5 LNB array for DirecTV as it is the dish's shape that is the most relative point.

So NO just getting a bigger dish will NOT help.

I had mentioned to other expert users to post on IF you might be able aim separate LARGE dishes at each DirecTV location (99, 101, 103, 110, 119) and multi-switch them all together like you can on Free-to-Air dish systems; to which one of the techs said he doubts it.

SEE HERE: http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/133506-supplier-48-60-inch-dish.html

I am hoping all your threads can get merged so all the users can read all your question and maybe give you a 110% firm answer.

I found this:

So far we have five verified connection schemes to combine multiple dishes at different locations to receive signals from all DirecTV satellites through trees and other obstructions ....

1. Use two AT9 dishes, one sited to receive 99/101/103-deg W and the other sited to receive 110/119-deg W and described in more detail earlier in this thread:

2. Use one AT9 dish without the "sidecar" LNB sited to receive 99/101/103-deg W and two 18" round dishes to receive 110 and 119-deg W, with the 110-deg W dish using the special "Sat C Kit" LNB and combiner:

3. Use one AT9 dish without the "sidecar" LNB sited to receive 99/101/103-deg W and one Phase III multisatellite dish to receive 110 and 119-deg W:

4. Modify a SlimLine LNB assembly to disconnect the 110 & 119-deg LNBs, then combine with two round dishes or a Phase III dish as described in 2 and 3 above. See Carl's post with modification instructions and photos here ....

Also the 5 LNB head on a 36" dish wont work. The spacing on those LNB's are designed for the focal point of the slimline dish. Once you start working with a bigger dish, the dspacing between the satellites is different

Thats why on a 30" dish the spacing between 2 sats is right nesxt to each other but on a 6 footer its 5 inches apart :)

I found this:

So far we have five verified connection schemes to combine multiple dishes at different locations to receive signals from all DirecTV satellites through trees and other obstructions ....

1. Use two AT9 dishes, one sited to receive 99/101/103-deg W and the other sited to receive 110/119-deg W and described in more detail earlier in this thread:

2. Use one AT9 dish without the "sidecar" LNB sited to receive 99/101/103-deg W and two 18" round dishes to receive 110 and 119-deg W, with the 110-deg W dish using the special "Sat C Kit" LNB and combiner:

3. Use one AT9 dish without the "sidecar" LNB sited to receive 99/101/103-deg W and one Phase III multisatellite dish to receive 110 and 119-deg W:

4. Modify a SlimLine LNB assembly to disconnect the 110 & 119-deg LNBs, then combine with two round dishes or a Phase III dish as described in 2 and 3 above. See Carl's post with modification instructions and photos here ....

The problem with any of these methods is that one of the sats (103, I think but am probably wrong on this) uses the same 22kHZ control tone that the 110 and 119 sats use. Doing a multidish assembly for this needs to take this into consideration, since these methods do not address how to backfeed that tone to the LNB because the 22kHZ tone ports on the 6x8 multiswitch would be occupied by the 110 and 119 sat inputs.

You could use the slimline dish to pull the 99/101/103 using these methods, but you wouldn't be able to get the 110/119.

OK thanks. Is there signal on 99 or 101 now, and if so, do I need it to get HD? I can get 37% strength on 103b and that is why I am tempted to try to figure out if a 48 or 60 inch dish will help.

I found this elsewhere:

To get most of the channels, you just need 101 for SD and 103c (same as 103b) for mpeg4 HD. The next mpeg4 HD sat will be at 99c when programming is activated sometime in the next few months. The few HD channels on 110/119 will be migrating to 99c/103c in the near future.

Have you tried peaking the signal on 103? The beamwidth is narrower than for 101 and with the larger dish that will narrow it more.

I think larger multisatellite dishes are being used for Alaska and Hawaii, but haven't seen any listed at the usual suppliers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)