Multi-room MPEG-4 reciever Upgrades--THE WORD.

shanewalker

Overall, an O.K. Guy
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 15, 2005
KC/MO!
O.K., as soon as this gets answered, mods, feel free to sticky or append it to BFGs summary or whatever you think best...

So, I'm just wanting it in black-and-white here, since it's after 4/19 and there are a lot of threads w/ confusion and scattered opinions/experiences.

Multiple-room/receiver upgrades for existing HD customers...what are the OFFICIAL details/parameters in total and summarized for our bite-sized reference when we call? I was all set to call Dish and realized I had nothing concrete to stare at/reference while on the phone playing CSR roulette...

And yes, this is currently specific to upgrade-to-LEASE the 622/211s, not OWN.

Thanks so much. I apologize if this is laid down plain somewhere else, and indeed, I've been following this in a few threads for a while now (particularly the announcement by Scott of the multi-room deal in the 4/12 Retailer Chat recap), but I found conflicting info in BFGs otherwise wonderful summary sticky and want things clarified. Figure it'll be helpful to others, too.

Anyone have the "final word"?

Last edited:
O.K., so over a hundred hits today since I posted this inquiry, and no one's ante'd up w/ the lowdown...at least it shows folks out there are interested in the answer like I am.

Maybe everyone's busy prepping for NAB or some other trade show...

Anyone out there? Please?

'odbrv'--Glad to hear the deal is for real.

Hopefully now BFGs mongo deal summary sticky can get updated and everyone can rest on this clarification. Still love to see some official statement sort of thing...but we take what we can get, right ;) ?

Thanks for sharing your story. Looking forward to hearing about your install...

I just got off of the phone w/ HD Tech/CSR (Susan, very nice), May 5th, 4:40p CST. I was told, after several holds to talk to 'executive management' that the deal is 1 622 (2 tuners) or 2 211s (2 tuners), and that that was all you got for 12 mo. She said if I had concrete info that others had done multiple room upgrades that would open the conversation up to further review, but without that tangible info for them to compare "apples to apples" (to quote her quoting the 'executive'), things stood at the one room upgrade policy.

She heard me loud and clear and understood my grievance w/ being saddled w/ receivers that couldn't view all the channels that I'd be paying for...that's my big issue. If I'm paying for UHD, I should be able to watch it on any Dish box in my home. If they want to simulcast it in MPEG-2 (wink, wink) so I can watch it on the 811s I'm told I can't upgrade, fine, I guess...but so far I haven't heard anyone suggest that they'll be doing that. The only other option, she said, was to buy the other recievers. For a second, I thought I'd called DirecTV by mistake ;) (that was why I left them for V* and then E*)...

Anyone able to help here?

Well we have only been able to upgrade multipule HD units IF they already had 2 HD units. Now I didn't read the contacts to see what the cost was but I did swap a 942, 811 for a 622 and 211 and both were under contracts. If I had to guess it was 299 (622 and getting a 200 credit for 942) and 49 for the 211. That wasn't a bad deal. As far as a customer with only one HD unit we haven't been able to do 2 new HD units. Only one with promo and 2nd to be purchased.

That has been our experience at the office.

Thanks for the response--I have a 942 and 2 811s, all leased. Susan's initial response was 1 unit only, then 2 units and any others to be purchased, then back to 1 unit only w/ 12 mo. cycle (all this after conferring w/ the 'executives'). This is all conflicting w/ original official statements on Chats and subsequent updated policy as passed down through this forum. I think it very unwise and unfair...they're not saving money by installing these arbitrary caps/limitations (though as I stated numerous times in my conversation w/ her, I completely understand their situation w/ an expensive MPEG-4 rollout and tight equipment supplies), they're potentially losing revenue IMHO. I guess 2 boxes upgraded is better than 1, however (though still not ideal of course)...hopefully, this can be done.