Multicasting

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Alec

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 21, 2005
Ive noticed lately some commercials on G10 about multicasting. I dont know much about it, but it seems like its something the cable companies and the big sat providers dont want to happen, or they certanly want to stop it. Seems like this multicasting posses a threat to the monopolies that want to control the broadcast market. Maybe some of you here are more knowlegable about the matter, Id like to see some input on this. Thanks http://www.multicasting.com/home1.html

maddawg

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 6, 2003
Interesting article.....you have to love what large corporations are willing to do.

TuxCoder

Collector of Space Beams
Supporting Founder
Jul 8, 2004
Dayton, OH
I saw the same commercials. They are dated, though (but might have been produced recently). DTV stations have been multicasting for years now. I like the service, but I don't like the term because of its very different meaning in other technical arenas.

It's just referring to digital OTA subchannels you probably already get. Usually it's just an HD and an SD version of the same analog broadcast. For example, if you have channel 7 in your area, the digital broadcast might contain 7-1 and 7-2 (or 7.1, 7.2, depending on your receiver or TV). As the website and the commercial mention, though, in some cases you'll have others showing 24-hour weather radar or something (BFG's area shows The Tube on a subchannel! :D). PBS stations tend to do much "multicasting".

Like I said, I like it, but only when used "responsibly" by the station. Each subchannel needs a certain amount of bandwidth, and that bandwidth comes from that which could be needed by the HD channel to maintain good picture quality.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)