?Multipath or Mapping Prob

samiwax

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Raleigh North Carolina
When I check signal strengths on two problem locals sometimes there is no signal and sometimes it is bouncing from 40 to 100. My OTA direct antenna can usually get signal lock but not thru my VOOM OTA. My voom STB also displays signals as above but never lock on.

Just as an FYI I receive 8 digital signals just great from a tower cluster located at the same distance 20.8 mi/172deg (as according to antennaweb-and I think VERY close). Thanks in advance to anyone with any insight.

I still am convinced the problem lies with the crappy Motorola receiver and V6.20. Since the "new and improved" V6.20 software, I have lost 2 OTA channels in DFW and my box locks up at least twice every 3 days. Signal strength is 98 and 99 on the channels the box won't pick up. Before V6.20 both channels came in fine. It's always 2 steps forward and 1 step back when Voom decides to do something. Good luck.

Bob

samiwax,

1 -both channels are mapped to your receiver (they appear in the PG), correct? or

2 -did you scan for them?

3 -just a stupid question but are these two channels in the same direction as the others. Sometimes realigning the antenna a little can do it.

4 -What type of antenna and model are you currently using? How many lines you have going to the house (2 or 1)?

I like you have multipathing problems and might need to reajust your OTA antanna like Sean said. I had to upgrade my antenna, which solved my problems.

Thanx for the info guys.
To answer Seans questions 1.Both channels show up in the PG. I did scan also but honestly don't
remember which came first. One channel is missing a subcarrier in the PG though.
2. Yes both channels are located at the SAME 172 deg/20.8mi distance as the others.They for the most part get excellent signals to me.
3.Anenna is currently Sensar II w/o preamp. Will be installing a Metrostar-2000 w/preamp on fri to check for performance differences.There is only one outside wire from Sensar to diplexer/dish to STB to DVI. MS-2000 temporarily connected indoors to TV Ant 1 input to integrated tuner.
If we tweak the Sensar just slightly from where it is some other channel will invariably drop out. Just an FYI the stations in question are WLFL-DT RF 57 Dig 22.1 and WRDC-DT RF 27 Dig 28.1 Sorry for all that detail I hope it answers your questions.If not I'll try'er again. Thanx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)