Multiple Receivers

quarterwave

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
Ohio
OK, since I have started reading more and more here (interesting to learn stuff). I see that alot of people are scared to death of the "audit" deal.

Here's my thing...I'm not scared of too many things....so it doesnt worry me. However, I have 4 receivers. I have a couple of HD units, and a couple SD units.

1 HD is in my living room, an SD in the bedroom, another HD in my RV and I put the remaining SD in the garage, and I just have it hooked to my stereo for Sirius. I don't even have a TV there. So 1 HD and 1 SD do not have phone line connections, and never have. The bedroom SD hasn't been on a phone line since we moved to our new house 3 years ago. The main HD in my living room has the phone line connected, and the Ethernet plugged in too, I thought it would do something for me, but turns out it doesnt, even though I do have the External Drive to make the receiver a DVR. I have had this setup, or at least this many receivers for going on 11 years I believe. Never had an issue.

Does anyone think I will? I can't hook the RV receiver to a phone line, obviously, and the one in the garage...well, I am not going to the trouble. I bought and installed all my own stuff, I like DIsh, and I hope I am not hasseled. I think it's a good way for them lose revenue all together, because if they call and try to hassle me, an honest long time susbscriber, I will shut it all off. I don't put up with that crap.

One concern is, I want to turn off the one SD in the bedroom and replace it with a 222k so I can get SD there, and then HD in my basement when it's finished. I hope that won't trigger any nonesense.

I can't give you any reason that the audit police use for selecting candidates for an audit but you should fear one. It is no fun and I doubt you would pass with the receiver locations you have listed.

boba said:
I can't give you any reason that the audit police use for selecting candidates for an audit but you should fear one. It is no fun and I doubt you would pass with the receiver locations you have listed.

The only one with an issue is the one in the RV. All other rcvrs aren't a problem. If they ever need to call they will just ask for rcvr numbers and SC numbers from the rcvrs.

Sounds to me like you are afraid of it...

Just kidding. I don't think anyone outside of the audit group really understands how they make selections for audit. Seems like your situation would fit the reaonable parameters for an audit, but that doesn't necessarily mean you will get one. Just keep hoping for the best.

I don't think I am scared of some pinhead that want to be a jerk about TV receivers. They will promptly be told what to kiss.

I was really just curious because of all the reading I was doing about the Broadband versus phone connections and the posts just kind of lead to the other.

I know with phone they receive ANI and probably check that agasint records, but to be honest, when I moved 3 years ago, it was local, but a different exchange, so my number is different, and on my online account info it still has the old address and phone number, despite numberous attempts to have them change it online and in writing and over the phone. They know where to send the bill, though. And they have my new number too, which is fine, it just doenst show up online when I look.

I guess, unlike phone ANI, broadband IP is hard to track...I don't have a static address, and I think the receiver goes through 2 routers in the house before it hits the internet. Besides that, due to my work, I have a 2 broad band providers, so concieveably, 2 of my newer receivers could be each hooked to different IP sources. So does the broadband really do anything to help or it all based on that location # thingy people were talking about.

Yall have me interested now!

The location ID is a set of numbers on the receiver that changes every x minutes (I think it is like every 15 mins). That doesn't have anything to do with where the receiver actually is, it is just so they can verify that you have access to each receiver while on the phone (to prove that they are in 1 location).

Yeah, I figured that much. It's shame these companies didn't figure out a better system when this stuff came out in the 90's. They hassle me and I will dump them. I just don't go for that, I pay them too much already.

I don't think I am scared of some pinhead that want to be a jerk about TV receivers. They will promptly be told what to kiss.

They hassle me and I will dump them. I just don't go for that, I pay them too much already.

Agreed...

I had two HD receivers added over a year ago and they were installed by Dish. About 6 months later they upgraded my 942s to 722s and those were installed, again, by Dish. Fast forward a few months and I get a call from the audit department. They worded things so as to make it seem they were just making sure I had all the correct software versions, etc. From reading here I knew it was an audit as all they wanted was the location ID. I played along, gave them all the info they asked for and all was well.

What I don't get is that they arranged the installs (twice), they activated them (twice) and they audit me knowing all this? Two units are on the phone line, but the other two aren't in rooms with lines or internet access. So it's obvious they have no means of logically picking, they must just be going down a list of customers with multiple receivers.

They can audit me all they wish, the results will always be the same, but my tolerance will diminish.

I had two HD receivers added over a year ago and they were installed by Dish. About 6 months later they upgraded my 942s to 722s and those were installed, again, by Dish. Fast forward a few months and I get a call from the audit department. They worded things so as to make it seem they were just making sure I had all the correct software versions, etc. From reading here I knew it was an audit as all they wanted was the location ID. I played along, gave them all the info they asked for and all was well.

What I don't get is that they arranged the installs (twice), they activated them (twice) and they audit me knowing all this? Two units are on the phone line, but the other two aren't in rooms with lines or internet access. So it's obvious they have no means of logically picking, they must just be going down a list of customers with multiple receivers.

They can audit me all they wish, the results will always be the same, but my tolerance will diminish.

You can use a sling plug from DISH to give all your receivers internet through the electrical wiring. Simply plug the sling plug into a outlet near your router and plug an ethernet cable from the router to the sling plug. Then make sure ALL your receivers are plugged into the electrical outlets and no surge protectors. All your vip series of receivers should now have broadband connections now. You can buy a sling plug from DISH for around $30.00 I believe. It is the easiest way to avoid audits and gives you broadband connection to each sat receiver. You don't even have to keep your phone lines plugged in if you have broadband connection. I have this setup and all my receivers use the sling plug through the electrical outlets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts