MWC comes up with a valid 8 team college football playoff system...

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
GREAT read and I would be VERY interested what conference presidents(the f***ing cowards) would say no. They state they will bring it up for discussion in the next BCS meeting in April in Pasadena....we shall see...:rolleyes:

Under the MWC's proposal, a conference would qualify for an automatic bid if its teams have a winning percentage of at least .400 in games against the current automatic qualifying leagues over a two-year period.

Using that standard, the MWC would join the other six leagues as automatic qualifiers starting next season.

Part two of the proposal suggests doing away with the BCS standings and creating a 12-member committee to pick which teams receive at-large bids, and to select and seed the eight teams chosen for the playoff.

The BCS has previously discussed using a selection committee to determine which teams play for the national title and the idea was dismissed.

Under the MWC's proposal, the four current BCS games — the Sugar, Orange, Rose and Fiesta bowls — would host the four first-round playoff games. Another BCS bowl would be awarded to a current non-BCS game and would host the lowest ranked of the 10 teams selected in a game with no championship implications.

The semifinals would be played about a week later, with the current BCS bowls given the opportunity to host those games.

The championship game would be played a week after that, and again the current BCS bowls would be given the opportunity to host.

While bowl organizers from the Fiesta, Sugar and Orange bowl have said they would be open to a playoff format, the Rose Bowl — which has a long-standing and profitable relationship with the Big Ten and Pac-10 — has been resistant to such change.

The final part of the MWC's proposal calls for each of the 11 major conferences and Notre Dame to have equal representation on the BCS presidential oversight committee and for revenues to be distributed equally among all leagues.

Currently, the five non-BCS conferences have one vote when the BCS makes decisions and those leagues receive far less revenue from year to year, unless one of its teams earns a spot in a BCS game.

The BCS agreed to a new, four-year TV deal with ESPN last year that will go into effect in 2010. That deal was negotiated using the current BCS format. While ESPN has said it would not stand in the way if the BCS wanted to change, the new deal allows the BCS to put off making any drastic changes until at least the 2014 season.

The MWC has not signed the new deal with ESPN and has until April 20, 2010, to do so. Thompson said he's not sure how long the conference will hold out.

"Now is the time to have the conversation about change in the current system, because we have a contract in front of us that will extend the status quo for another four years and we want to have the conversation now, not four years from now," Buchanan said.

FOX Sports on MSN - COLLEGE FOOTBALL - Mountain West presents playoff plan to BCS

Plenty of plans available - everybody has one. The difference this time is you got a conference backing change. Now they need one of the 6 major conferences to join in. I haven't given up yet. Hopefully in my lifetime.....

Plenty of plans available - everybody has one. The difference this time is you got a conference backing change. Now they need one of the 6 major conferences to join in. I haven't given up yet. Hopefully in my lifetime.....
SEC has already said they want at least a 4-team playoff.

What they should do is go ahead and setup a playoff, and if the Big 10, Pac 10 and Rose Bowl dont' want to be in it, then just leave them out of it. Eventually they'll come begging to be let in, same as what happened with the BCS.

What they should do is go ahead and setup a playoff, and if the Big 10, Pac 10 and Rose Bowl dont' want to be in it, then just leave them out of it. Eventually they'll come begging to be let in, same as what happened with the BCS.

agreed.
Enough with the BS BCS

No doubt it will take something drastic like that to make it happen. To many opinions are out there. I hope it happens soon.

I'm for any form of a playoff even if it's not the design I would choose. Anything is better than what we've got.

As long as the Bowl games bring all those teams $$$$ especially those 7-4 and 6-6 teams we wont be seeing playoffs any time soon

As long as the Bowl games bring all those teams $$$$ especially those 7-4 and 6-6 teams we wont be seeing playoffs any time soon

See, thats where your forgetting, the Bowls will still be there.....
The playoff will be separate.

Paul and I had a pretty good handle on a playoff scenario a few years back, before they actually started thinking about it seriously.

Jimbo

See, thats where your forgetting, the Bowls will still be there.....
The playoff will be separate.

Paul and I had a pretty good handle on a playoff scenario a few years back, before they actually started thinking about it seriously.

Jimbo

I remember you guys talking about that, but I don't remember what it was.

No playoff system can work. The MWC is just trying to embarass the cartel, which excludes it and includes the lesser Leastleftovers.

The answer, of course, is to disolve the cartel and return to the simple system of each bowl making its own independent deal, with the polls picking the champion. Won the same number and not picked. Schedule up. Simple.

No playoff system can work. The MWC is just trying to embarass the cartel, which excludes it and includes the lesser Leastleftovers.

The answer, of course, is to disolve the cartel and return to the simple system of each bowl making its own independent deal, with the polls picking the champion. Won the same number and not picked. Schedule up. Simple.

A playoff can definatly work, provided they allow enough teams to get in, which won't happen at first.
12-16 is the optimum number , but it will start out very small, from a "And 1" which I think is wrong, to a 4 team then eventually an 8 team and so forth.
Over time ....

Jimbo

A playoff can definatly work, provided they allow enough teams to get in, which won't happen at first.
12-16 is the optimum number , but it will start out very small, from a "And 1" which I think is wrong, to a 4 team then eventually an 8 team and so forth.
Over time ....

Jimbo

I think it could not go more than 8 teams....took long, took expensive and too much time away from school for the players.

I think it could not go more than 8 teams....took long, took expensive and too much time away from school for the players.
Why not? Div I-AA has 16 teams and expanding to 20 in 2010.
Div II has 24 teams.
And Div III has about as many teams as well.

16 teams would be the fairest thing to do. You include all the conference champions with 5 at larges. That way everyone who has earned a shot will get it.

Why not? Div I-AA has 16 teams and expanding to 20 in 2010.
Div II has 24 teams.
And Div III has about as many teams as well.

16 teams would be the fairest thing to do. You include all the conference champions with 5 at larges. That way everyone who has earned a shot will get it.

Ok...you convinced me....maybe 12....;)

That's the biggest BS excuse of them all. Tell me, when are the kids that make the complete run through the BB championship going to school this month?

Yeah it would be a real shame to keep these guys away from those classes like "Weight training 101", "Sprinkler operation 101", "Contract management", "Public speaking", and "Basket weaving 101";)

Come back with a "real" argument.

That's the biggest BS excuse of them all. Tell me, when are the kids that make the complete run through the BB championship going to school this month?

Yeah it would be a real shame to keep these guys away from those classes like "Weight training 101", "Sprinkler operation 101", "Contract management", "Public speaking", and "Basket weaving 101";)

Compare graduation rates between football players and basketball players...football player miss less time than basketball players...they graduate at a higher rate. I have atleast one link that show the graudate rates and I am trying to find the story I read that states that time away has hurt basketball players because of the times way from classess during NCAA tournament.

Rivals.com College Football - Graduation Success Rates

LMAO. I've been saying that same thing for years. Funny too, how these guys miss class time to go work out for scouts at the combine. Don't they have a term paper in quantum physics to work on?

LMAO. I've been saying that same thing for years. Funny too, how these guys miss class time to go work out for scouts at the combine. Don't they have a term paper in quantum physics to work on?

Only the ones that make the team in order to improve the team's GPA, up to NCAA standards. You know which guys those are. There at the end of the bench.

Compare graduation rates between football players and basketball players...football player miss less time than basketball players...they graduate at a higher rate. I have atleast one link that show the graudate rates and I am trying to find the story I read that states that time away has hurt basketball players because of the times way from classess during NCAA tournament.

Rivals.com College Football - Graduation Success Rates

Everybody in BB thinks they're going to the NBA. Most apply for the draft before finishing school. Check attendance records for the spring semester, especially for the "one and out's". See who's still in class after the season, and you'll know who's applying for the NBA.

You're right. Let's just scratch this idea. Education comes first.:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)