My 622 died also three of them!

randym431

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 29, 2004
My original 622 lasted years but then the HD died. The msg said DVR features would not work error msg. But the 622 still functioned as a non dvr receiver. Just no recordings, pause and all recorded programs were lost-inaccessible.

So DISH swapped the unit out. I noticed the replacement said REFURB on the out side of the box.

That replacement unit worked ok for 48 hours, then started rebooting constantly.
After unplugging it three or four times, it would come on but only for minutes. Then started the rebooting thing over and over.

Dish swapped that unit out. I got the third replacement Friday. Set it all up, and recorded SNL and a movie. Then later while watching SNL, it started the rebooting thing, just like the old replaced one.

So NOW I got to go thru this again.
I think DISH is just sending out broken units that work when tested briefly, but actually are defective when used for 12 to 48 hours long term.

How pissed should I get this time when calling tech support???
WHY do they keep sending refurb defective units out to customers?????

I "may" just give up and go back to cable tv provider.

Have one that is working fine

My original 622 lasted years but then the HD died. The msg said DVR features would not work error msg. But the 622 still functioned as a non dvr receiver. Just no recordings, pause and all recorded programs were lost-inaccessible.

So DISH swapped the unit out. I noticed the replacement said REFURB on the out side of the box.

That replacement unit worked ok for 48 hours, then started rebooting constantly.
After unplugging it three or four times, it would come on but only for minutes. Then started the rebooting thing over and over.

Dish swapped that unit out. I got the third replacement Friday. Set it all up, and recorded SNL and a movie. Then later while watching SNL, it started the rebooting thing, just like the old replaced one.

So NOW I got to go thru this again.
I think DISH is just sending out broken units that work when tested briefly, but actually are defective when used for 12 to 48 hours long term.

How pissed should I get this time when calling tech support???
WHY do they keep sending refurb defective units out to customers?????

I "may" just give up and go back to cable tv provider.

I understand your frustration. I had a C model that was a royal pain and E* contacted me to replace it. The one I have now is a refurb (over 18 mnths) and it is still working fine. I suggest that you contact dishquality@echostar.com & ceo@echostar.com. They talke things a bit more seriously than the standard CSR.

My replacement lasted 2 weeks and now the endess reboot and 3 hour scan disk, another replacement vip 622 on the way. At least they waived the shipping cost.

I have some problem my 4th vip622 now working a month same problem rebooting i even put a fan so won't heat up.

This is what happens when your "Engineering Department" (the term engineer is used so loosely in this company, it's comical) has no degrees or qualifications besides being able to read a piece of paper that tells them the steps to "test" a receiver. It's why I cringe every time I have to return a bad receiver that has intermittent problems, knowing full well that they are not going to experience the problem during "testing", dust it off and ship it off as "No Problem Found".

The other issues is shipping... these receivers are shipped all over the world.... 2 pieces of foam and an anti-static bag can only protect so much... that hard drive and mainboard still gets bounced around a lot... hopefully when they finally switch to solid-state drives, we will see fewer DOA receivers.

I also have a 722 that was new and works great.
I tried to see about getting a new 722, instead of another bad refurb 622, since three strikes and I'm out of here...
They said no way to a new 722. I just got the latest refurb 622 today.
Wont be able to hook it up till the weekend, but I suspect the worse.
Sounds like the constant rebooting issue is common. But dish tech acts like
this is a new issue with them.
They actually had me plug the unit into a different power outlet, like AC electricity
is going to be different from one outlet to another.

Some homes have bad outlets that are wired wrong or grounded incorrectly which can cause problems. When you have swapped out 3 receivers usually a tech or whowever starts to suspect something wrong with the electrical or grounding as it just doesnt happen much. In your case the symptoms dont really match but thats why they start looking at ac outlets. Its hard to call 3 receivers bad out of the box, but with dish refurbs nowdays you never know. :)

If you continually have receivers going dead one after another, I would start looking at your electrical or signal wiring. It doesn't matter how many years things worked fine, wiring can go bad, shorts can happen, and faulty outlets and switches can fail and foul up whole circuits.

Yep. Bad outlets happen. And there could be other line problems, not always easily detected. Some equipment is just more sensitive to problems than others. I've put my HT on one of those APC power conditioner/UPS units. But those go for hundreds of dollars.

I seriously do not think that electrical outlets are the real problem with the 622.

Tonight my second 622 started the reboot issue and now I have to wait up to 4 days according to dish for a replacement. Thats great since its the only box I have with them.

I have been with Dish 10 + years starting with a 2700 receiver. Afterwards I had the 50x models and a 721. In 10+ years I have NEVER had a box die from Dish until the 622.

If my issue were the electrial outlet then I should have other components in my entertainment center die on me. No other device has failed in that timeframe either. The biggest thing I have had die on me in my entire house was a couple hard drives in a PC and that was because they were well out of warrenty in the first place.

This is a REAL problem for Dish. So much in fact that when I told the problem to tech support the lady on the phone didnt even second guess. She already knew of the issue and immediately started an RMA.

With the amount of 622 dying I think there should be a thread dedicated to this problem. That way when we email the CEO we can point them to the thread and maybe get some more help.

Im not asking for a 722 or anything like that....all I want is a working box. If Dish cant provide that then they should give us 622 owners whose boxes have failed multiple times an option to upgrade with no commitment. We have commited to Dish enough to sit through box after box dying and waiting on replacements.

You hear that Dish. I am willing to PAY a fee to get out of this mess.

I seriously do not think that electrical outlets are the real problem with the 622.

Tonight my second 622 started the reboot issue and now I have to wait up to 4 days according to dish for a replacement. Thats great since its the only box I have with them.

I have been with Dish 10 + years starting with a 2700 receiver. Afterwards I had the 50x models and a 721. In 10+ years I have NEVER had a box die from Dish until the 622.

If my issue were the electrial outlet then I should have other components in my entertainment center die on me. No other device has failed in that timeframe either. The biggest thing I have had die on me in my entire house was a couple hard drives in a PC and that was because they were well out of warrenty in the first place.

No other component in your entertainment center is a complex computer system.

It could also be your signal cabling as I said above - electrical or signal cable.

Nearly everyone who has anything go bad for the first time ALWAYS says, "This has never happened before."

My 622 went through one day of constant rebooting and I found that the issue for me was one of my cables had a short stinger. As soon as I found that and fixed it I have had no problems.

The most likely sources for reboot are:

1. Electrical issue, possible bad ground
2. Signal issue, cable short or disruption
3. Excessive heat, hard drive is getting too hot
4. Software corruption, could have a drive going bad - this happens a lot these days everywhere.

Good luck.

My field is electronics as im in the IT industry.

In my house I have complex computer systems all over the place. I have a ps3, an xbox360, multiple custom built computer systems, not to mention networking equipment and various other gadgets around the house.

Of all this I have one big issue... the 622.

My field is electronics as im in the IT industry.

In my house I have complex computer systems all over the place. I have a ps3, an xbox360, multiple custom built computer systems, not to mention networking equipment and various other gadgets around the house.

Of all this I have one big issue... the 622.

Are they all tied to the same electrical circuit and do they all receive a signal from the same cable?

Blame is easy, finding the truth is hard.

I think you can easily talk them into an upgrade to a ViP722 for $75. I don't think they'll waive the 2 year commitment without a major fight, if at all.

Good luck. I suggest doing the upgrade and be done with it.

Lol we could do this for days and never come to agreement. All im saying is there seems to be too high a failure rate in my opinion. I did the help desk thing years ago for a now out of business computer company. We were told to have this argument with our customers a lot when in fact the real issue was faulty hardware inside the computers.

Ill take the challenge if dish wants. I can hook it up to a filtered UPS to rule out that issue.

I think you can easily talk them into an upgrade to a ViP722 for $75. I don't think they'll waive the 2 year commitment without a major fight, if at all.

Good luck. I suggest doing the upgrade and be done with it.
With several bad 622's in a row, i would think an email to CEO asking for the 722 just to end the issue would result in a swap with no extra commitment.

I'd be interested in how the 722 performs in this environment.

Lol we could do this for days and never come to agreement. All im saying is there seems to be too high a failure rate in my opinion. I did the help desk thing years ago for a now out of business computer company. We were told to have this argument with our customers a lot when in fact the real issue was faulty hardware inside the computers.

Ill take the challenge if dish wants. I can hook it up to a filtered UPS to rule out that issue.

Yeah, that's why my list includes corrupt software. I've been building, administering, and managing computers and networks for 25 years now and I have a house filled well beyond WAF with electronics. I've also been with Dish and done all my own installations since 1997.

i installed a separate circuit just for my home theater, my 622 is on a 1000va line interactive UPS, and I have an external fan running to keep the broadcom toaster oven chip from cooking off the hard drive.

You can run a troubleshooting checklist or you can just assume it's the 622.

Best of luck. Let us know if you get the 722 and how that goes.

I just got my replacement 622 (my previous unit would freeze and then restart at will) and for the first day it worked fine...well now its restarting all the time, I think this one restarts more than the last one...not sure what I should do, any suggestions...

With several bad 622's in a row, i would think an email to CEO asking for the 722 just to end the issue would result in a swap with no extra commitment.

I'd be interested in how the 722 performs in this environment.

You may be right. It's worth a try.

I had a 622 for the longest time until the HDMI went out and after awhile I decided to get it replaced. I went thru 3 622s before they finally sent me a 722 without me asking for it. I guess they felt sorry for me.The first replement wouldn't allow me to change the remote adress, minor. The next two, however, started the old reboot thing. I finally asked foe another replacement and wanted a 722 instaead. They at first said no and sent me a 722 without a big deal. That was about 6 months ago and no problems, knock on wood, as of yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)