My 622 keeps re-booting

cloudy

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
Zimmerman, MN
Up until yesterday, I had NEVER encountered my 622 just re-booting out of nowhere. This is my second one and fairly new.
But last night as I was watching one DVR program, and recording another program to the DVR, out of no where it just shut off and re-booted.
And when it finally finished, I went into my DVR recordings to delete the partially recorded show and it re-booted again.
This morning at 2:00am, I was awoken to it re-booting again. It's now 3:40 and it's still not finished with it's reboot (my system is for 3am to update programming). All I am getting now is a flashing green light under TV1.
Is this a sign of a failing system?
I was going to just un-plug the 622, but I fear if I do it'll really screw something up.
My 522 is running just fine.

crap. Looks like I'll be on my 3rd receiver in 4 months.
Tech support had NO solution. No matter what I've tried, it just keeps cycling between just the one green light, then all lights, then nothing. It just flat out will not send a signal to the TV.
Looks like all of my EXT HD recordings will be made useless once again.
I Think this may be a sign. Once the football season starts back up, and D* offers the "Free 3 months with subscription to the Football package", I'm done with E* for good.
I really like The DVR. Unfortunately I can't trust it.

You might wait and see. I saw the title of your thread and it's very interesting, but my 622 rebooted out of nowhere 2-3 times yesterday. It looks like it may have been a signal from DSH, because mine did it (the first time) at exactly 5pm (cst). Or maybe just a coincidence?

You might wait and see. I saw the title of your thread and it's very interesting, but my 622 rebooted out of nowhere 2-3 times yesterday. It looks like it may have been a signal from DSH, because mine did it (the first time) at exactly 5pm (cst). Or maybe just a coincidence?

Problems like yours MAY be caused by too many event timers (All events INCLUDING skipped ones are counted).

The OP case sounds like it has died. He might want them to check other things such as dish wiring or power supply to see if something is causing them to fail. But then they sometimes just do. In 8 years I had one 6000 fail and one ViP622 that needed to be replaced. The ViP622 was from a series with a build problem that caused them to just reboot an average of 2 to 3 times a week (black screen with Screech).

Last edited:
I just replaced my 622 a few weeks ago for the same reason. It just started rebooting for no apparent reason. At first, it would reboot once every couple of days. Then after a week, it just keep rebooting over and over again. After talking to tech support, they decided to replace it. Since it takes about 4 days to receive the replacement, I demanded a credit for the time I could not use the 622 receiver. I have read about this same problem with many other 622 users. I hope I won't have to replace it again. You lose all of your recorded programs, and all of your settings.

Up until yesterday, I had NEVER encountered my 622 just re-booting out of nowhere. This is my second one and fairly new.
But last night as I was watching one DVR program, and recording another program to the DVR, out of no where it just shut off and re-booted.
And when it finally finished, I went into my DVR recordings to delete the partially recorded show and it re-booted again.
This morning at 2:00am, I was awoken to it re-booting again. It's now 3:40 and it's still not finished with it's reboot (my system is for 3am to update programming). All I am getting now is a flashing green light under TV1.
Is this a sign of a failing system?
I was going to just un-plug the 622, but I fear if I do it'll really screw something up.
My 522 is running just fine.
I had the same exact problem and went thru 4 622's. Dish showed up today and replaced mine with a 722 and I have no problems occurring including the freezing when changing channels. These Refurbished 622's are Junk. I had to talh to a advanced Tech. to get my problem solved.

crap. Looks like I'll be on my 3rd receiver in 4 months.
Tech support had NO solution. No matter what I've tried, it just keeps cycling between just the one green light, then all lights, then nothing. It just flat out will not send a signal to the TV.
Looks like all of my EXT HD recordings will be made useless once again.
I Think this may be a sign. Once the football season starts back up, and D* offers the "Free 3 months with subscription to the Football package", I'm done with E* for good.
I really like The DVR. Unfortunately I can't trust it.

I went through 4 in a week. Then I canceled until they offered a free 722 upgrade and no problems since.

This is the first set that has ever just rebooted for no reason.
Now of course, it won't even boot back to a level of checking transponders, or sending a signal to my tv. I did get it to work once for about 5 minutes (after having left it unplugged for about 5 hours). So I called Dish to cancel my replacement. But as I was online with them, it rebooted again.
Odd.
Earlier in the day (about 3 hours before the first time it ever rebooted on it's own), I watched "Surfs Up" on "Starz on demand". That is the only time I have ever used starz on demand. I wonder if there is any connection there. Even if not, I'm sure I'll never use it again. Just in case.
I'm hoping I'll have more luck getting the new 622 to accept my pre-recorded shows on my EXT HD this time. Last time was a no go.

My 501 had essentially the same reboot symptoms. It was at least 5 YO and except for its many quirks had worked flawlessly. Because I live off the grid and it draws ~40 watts when "off", I would disconnect it from the wall several times a day.

In any case, one afternoon it just started rebooting, got to transponder 3 of 5 and rebooted over and over. Did this for 2 hours. Called Dish TS, they sent me a refurb for $15 S&H. The "new" one is fine, complete with wierd quirks.

I've had this issue twice with the 622. It just kept rebooting over and over both times. Dish will tell you to hit the reset button on the right front panel but it never fixed it. They replaced both of mine no issues.

Another cause of 622/722 rebooting is overheating.

You can't have them in a closed cabinet with no ventilation.

There is a thread on 622 temperature and ways to deal with it (I use a Thermaltake USB fan plugged into the second USB port and placed to exhaust from the left side of the receiver).

Two of my 622 had rebooted unscheduled couple of times few days back, then, everything is back to normal. I am suspecting it has something to do with the software and additional program information change recently. Maybe it is the combination with the timer settings on particular receivers. I have multiple 622s and only two that I have noticed (did mean the others didn't reboot unexpected). So far, everything seems quite........

I can certainly understand a system rebooting from overheating.
However, in my case, the strangest thing happened. It was 2 in the morning, and completely turned off (since about 9) and out of the blue, it tried to turn itself on. But it couldn't. It tried until 5:30 in the morning, when I finally decided to unplug it. No matter what I did, the Power button on the front of the unit had No effect what so ever.
Oh well. Fortunately, my replacement is being sent free of charge with 2 day shipping.
Still, I may decide to put the new one in a more ventilated area.

Another thing you guys need to make sure is that you don't have it plugged into a surge protector. It is a known issue that many 622 & 722 rcvrs will reboot while plugged into a surge.

Another thing you guys need to make sure is that you don't have it plugged into a surge protector. It is a known issue that many 622 & 722 rcvrs will reboot while plugged into a surge.

Really? Wow. that's a new one to me. No wonder the Tech rep asked me to plug it directly into the wall outlet. It still didn't help. But at least now I know to use a wall outlet when I get the new one. Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts