My cat lays on top of my Dish receiver

i can haz mor hai difenitan?

funny-pictures-your-rabbit-ears-no-longer-work.jpg

I will post a picture of the cat laying down on top of the receiver but it is hard to see because my cat is black and so is the receiver.

Ironically, the picture quality on the TV screen is markedly improved whenever she is sitting on top of the receiver. Apparently she is serving as some type of super antenna, and the tv picture has much better definition and clarity when she is there.

When she is out and about, the picture quality is not quite as good . . picture looks a little blurry.

Does anyone know why this could be happening? I am starting to like that she is using that as her place to rest and relax.

My cat Socks keeps going behind my TV on top of my 612 when it is cold. I have to keep lifting him up and telling him no to go back there but he keeps doing it. I still love him though and always liked cats way better than dogs. Grew up with cats ever since I was young. I did have a mean dog downstairs that I was afraid of when I was young which is why I prefer cats.

There actually is a way to stop this. Results guaranteed

Go into your neighborhood hardware store and purchase some plastic carpet runner, the kind with the plastic cleats on one side. You want the "good stuff" with the heaviest cleats (the cheap stuff doesn't work)

Lay a piece cleats-up wherever you don't want the cat to be and I promise you it won't be there. An 8" wide strip of it works great behind the couch or chairs. No cat.

A full piece of it (24" wide) by the full length of your new widescreen TV is also guaranteed to keep the barefooted 2-year old's gooey hand prints off the screen.

Yes, grandpa is mean perhaps, but one time and the child learns what "no" means vs repeatedly telling the child "don't touch" - some of life's lessons are learned more quickly when disobedience comes with consequences.

There actually is a way to stop this. Results guaranteed

Go into your neighborhood hardware store and purchase some plastic carpet runner, the kind with the plastic cleats on one side. You want the "good stuff" with the heaviest cleats (the cheap stuff doesn't work)

Lay a piece cleats-up wherever you don't want the cat to be and I promise you it won't be there. An 8" wide strip of it works great behind the couch or chairs. No cat.

A full piece of it (24" wide) by the full length of your new widescreen TV is also guaranteed to keep the barefooted 2-year old's gooey hand prints off the screen.

Yes, grandpa is mean perhaps, but one time and the child learns what "no" means vs repeatedly telling the child "don't touch" - some of life's lessons are learned more quickly when disobedience comes with consequences.
Now that's a trick I wish I'd heard of 17 years ago, when my 3 year old grandson slammed my big-screen and cracked it. Not too late to learn though, I'll probably have more grandkids. :)

Give your cat a kiss. It is working for you as a heat sink absorbing all that heat coming out of the receiver. We only wish cats were made out of Aluminum, then the heat transfer is much better.

Last edited:
Be glad your cat is only laying on top of the receiver... I have a cat who sleeps on the base of our television for heat and continues to climb back up after removing her... we tried some of the methods named to keep her off some things with no luck:

- something with a tack like grip (mentioned above the carpet) she rubbed against and was purring
- tape - she got it stuck on her foot and pulled the tape (and almost the television) with her as she ran
- water - we have to lock the bathroom door when we shower or else she jumps into the tub with us... quite disturbing.

That said as long as your cat isn't a shedder it shouldn't be a problem.

WD40 keeps cats away from anything... it has fish oil in it and cats hate fish oils. Try giving your cat some tuna that came packed in a can of oil.. they will not go near it.

WD40 keeps cats away from anything... it has fish oil in it and cats hate fish oils. Try giving your cat some tuna that came packed in a can of oil.. they will not go near it.

That's not always true. My cat loves 'tuna can.' When we make tuna salad we put the can on the floor to keep the cat quiet.... :)

This is an example of permissive parenting. When we had 2 cats, they were instructed and trained to always stay on the floor (or there designated indoor "throne") and NEVER to even attempt to jump on the counters or on any device. If on the rare occasion they did hop on a sofa or go somewhere they weren't, I all had to do was just give her the look, and say "OFF! MOVE! And they did move immediately because they knew I meant business.

I have found that if they get stubborn, all it takes is good scoot with a broom and they won't repeat the offense. It was great having civilized cats. But they always loved going outside to hunt, so indoors wasn't very often. How's that for parenting advice :).

totally agree........our pets are reflections of ourselfs. U see people with dogs they can not control and then they wonder why am I always haven issues. Then there are people who control there dogs and there always happy.

Same problem with the same receiver, persian long hair cat been laying on that receiver for a couple years now, no problems thus far, but your mileage may vary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)