My Dish Network installation didn't happen due to guidelines

Sazkin

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2005
I'm an ex-Voomer who recently subscribed to Dish Network. I live on the upper floor in an apartment complex. The installation was scheduled for Apr 30 (8am to 12pm). Dish Network called at 1pm to say they forgot to assign a technician, and so rescheduled it to Sunday.

The installation techs came in at 3pm (they were to come between 8am and 12pm), looked at the Voom dish in my patio and said they won't be able to install the Dish satellite dish because of strict guidelines that they follow, namely:
- requirement of a grounding source for the dish and
- they were not allowed to use a flat cable; they would have to drill a hole from my patio to the inside of the apartment.

I pointed out that other people in my complex had Dish Network installed, and that there must be a grounding source somewhere in the building. They didn't bother checking for that, unfortunately.

I wish they weren't as strict about installations. Installs, Inc. that did the Voom installation didn't have any hassle. I realize this is a safety guideline, but wish they would have looked in to the matter a little more. This was more like "Oh, I can't see a grounding source near your patio. Bye!"

I'm going to check with my apartment maintenance people to see if a grounding source exists in my building. My apartment manager, who has been working here for 6 years, said she's never heard residents asking about a grounding source while installing Dish Network at their apartments.

If the maintenance folks say there is a grounding source somewhere, I'll call Dish and tell them about it, and see if it is still fine for them to install the dish. Else, my only other option would be to get Time Warner cable. In that case, I hope Dish Network does not create any hassle about refunding the 50$ they charged initially, the amount they were to reimburse in the first bill.

Has anyone else living in an apartment complex faced this issue at the time of installation?

Thanks.

Dish makes their DNSC's and RSP's go by strict guidelines, as you have said.

I always tell the customer that they may find a local retailer who would be willing to look the other way on those issues, specifically the grounding issue. If you're willing to take responsibility for callbacks due to the type of install then you might get a local retailer to help you out.

bcshields said:
Dish makes their DNSC's and RSP's go by strict guidelines, as you have said.

I always tell the customer that they may find a local retailer who would be willing to look the other way on those issues, specifically the grounding issue. If you're willing to take responsibility for callbacks due to the type of install then you might get a local retailer to help you out.

The installation techs did tell me to call Dish Network and ask them to assign the installation to a retailer. Dish Network CSR said they couldn't assign a retailer to do the installation.

What are the nuances in case I ask a retailer like Circuit City or Best Buy (or another retailer) to do the installation? Do I have to buy all the equipment from the retailer as well (satellite dish, receiver, etc)? Or will Dish Network supply those and I arrange an installation by CC or BB? I've never been through this process and am a bit confused about the retailer installation process.

Also, wouldn't any apartment building have a grounding source? For example, each building has power meters to measure electricity usage and A/C units outside. Won't these be grounded? If so, were the techs not willing to run a cable around the building from the grounding source to the patio? Were these stricter guidelines issued recently? Or have they always been imposed by Dish Network? It's just weird that others in the apartment complex have Dish Network installed, and it would be impossible to do the same in this one building.

Thanks.

You'll have to find a retailer who does their own installs. Cancel your account with Dish and have the retailer build you a new account. Or... Like korsjs said... EBay it or (Dishstore it) and do it yourself.. we can walk you through the steps.

Like if you need flat ribbon cable, use only legacy LNBF's and switches. Dish Pro LNBF's can be a hassle with the ribbon cables.

bcshields said:
You'll have to find a retailer who does their own installs. Cancel your account with Dish and have the retailer build you a new account. Or... Like korsjs said... EBay it or (Dishstore it) and do it yourself.. we can walk you through the steps.

Like if you need flat ribbon cable, use only legacy LNBF's and switches. Dish Pro LNBF's can be a hassle with the ribbon cables.

Thanks a lot. I'll cancel the Dish account and contact Circuit City or Best Buy to do the install after checking about the grounding guidelines with them.

They are right. Flat cable is NOT rated for DP freqs of 2.2Ghz. And proper grounding is a requirement, not an option. A Panamax grounded surge protector that is DP rated is considered a proper ground for an apartment. Just not an ideal ground. You will have problems with the flat cable. E* uses twice the freq range that V* used.

My bad. CC or BB don't do Dish Network. Found my local retailer through Dish Network website. I'll contact them. Hopefully all goes well.

Thanks for the help again.

grounding issuses in apartments

I have installed directv in apartments before, any installer worth a s#$t would have drove a ground rod into the ground next to the dish and it would have been grounded properly. sounds like you had a lazy installer.

dodge said:
I have installed directv in apartments before, any installer worth a s#$t would have drove a ground rod into the ground next to the dish and it would have been grounded properly. sounds like you had a lazy installer.

That could be possible. They just didn't sound like they wanted to do the installation because of the grounding issue. They could have at least gone around the building and checked to see if there was a grounding source in the building and run a grounding cable from there. I'm not an electrical engineer, but I would imagine it logical that all buildings would have electrical grounding, considering the A/C units next to the building.

BTW, the installation techs said they have to take photos of the installation to prove to their supervisors they followed the guidelines. It sounded a little overboard to me. Do they do that?

Currently on hold with Dish Network...calling to cancel my account.

Thanks.

dodge said:

Driving a ground rod into the ground is not a proper ground according to NEC code.

dodge said:

What if the apartment was 4 floors up? Also, in VA, you have to be either a licensed electrician or the homeowner to install a ground. Thta is NOT a lazy installer. I would have shot it down as well.

Sazkin said:
BTW, the installation techs said they have to take photos of the installation to prove to their supervisors they followed the guidelines. It sounded a little overboard to me. Do they do that?

Could be. It's good practice as well. That way a customer can't call in a lie about the install. Also, the ground MUST be the shortest possible path. If they grounded it around the building and the ground block is at your door, then you aren't grounding. Not only that, a lot of apartment complexes don't like working with sat installers. I have to have a signed permission form BEFORE I do anything.

Sazkin said:
they were not allowed to use a flat cable; they would have to drill a hole from my patio to the inside of the apartment.

You might be able to get a retailer to use a legacy system, and then you could use flat cable.

satqas said:
Driving a ground rod into the ground is not a proper ground according to NEC code.

What NEC code are looking at? Dosent every house have a ground rod right under the main breaker box? I work telecommunications, we have to drive an 8ft ground rod, and the cable can be no smaller than 6awg/ and no longer than 20ft between the cable head/terminal and the rod. That's per NEC 800.33 ? Where else are you going to get the ground from? I know they say some sort of water pipe will do, but that wont fly in my shop...

I just spoke to the CSR at Dish Network. He was very helpful. He initially said he would send in another team of installers that would do the install (!?!), but then checked himself after I repeated what the issue was. He then offered to send in a field engineer to my place and see if he could work out a solution, but I refused saying chances are dim that my apt. manager would let me or him install anything outside the premises that I am renting (the electrical rod that needs to be driven in to the ground outside, unless they are OK with another grounding source in the building - my apt complex is quite anal about such things). He cancelled the account and refunded the activation fee and was quite positive that the others in my apt. complex must have gotten their Dish Network installed by a retailer.

So thats my last hope. I'll see what the local retailer says tomorrow. Else, it'll be digital cable on my 55 inch Sony LCD RPTV - wonder how the PQ of digital cable would be. I already miss Voom and it looks like I'm going to miss Dish Network as well, without ever getting it. Perhaps Voom's no-hassle (but rather unsafe) installation spoilt me.

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)