My DISH seems dead

derekcentrico

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
Florida
Okay, don't want to call Dish because they will be jerks over this...

My neighbor has a Dish. I bought an account, but my apartment can't get the angle required, so the Dish guy hooked up on the neighbors satellite. At any rate, the neighbor went on vacation this morning. This evening, upon returning home, my receiver has been in an endless loop of doing tests: on the Attention 058 (up to 50 tests performed) and on Attention 833 (38 tests performed).

The satellite has a DP-33 switch. SO there's no power supply line that they might have turned off on accident before leaving.

But, I don't see what else would knock the service out. No storms today. Everything should be fine.

Now, it sits on 835 telling me there's some error.

Although I'm trying to see if there's a connection between them leaving, the receiver has been doing this for a couple of weeks. It has gone in and out of service a lot lately. When we change channels, it will not sync to the satellite and require a lot of reboots.

Any thoughts on figuring out what the deal is?

The DPP33 switch needs a DP or DPP receiver to power it. If your receiver is a legacy model and your neighbor unplugged or disconnected their receiver, the DPP33 won't work anymore. What's your receiver model?

I believe mine is a newer model, got it a month and half ago. It's a VIP211 HD Solo.

It complains that the switch isn't working or something. And has been looping through the 015 screen for three hours now.

0 of 5 progress, satellite X.

Okay, well the neighbors had their receiver (just one) on the same system for a few weeks and it worked fine. Then, mine was added. So, the SWITCH was powered by just one receiver without issue.

As far as the connection comment, you're saying that if the system is telling me its doing tests "x of 38" or "x of 50" then it's a wiring problem? That's interesting, not necessarily wrong, but still interesting.

I have a direct line come from the satellite's switch. It enters my sliding door using one of those flat cables made for doors/windows. Then, it has a short line from there to the receiver. Everything seems tight.

Okay, well the neighbors had their receiver (just one) on the same system for a few weeks and it worked fine. Then, mine was added. So, the SWITCH was powered by just one receiver without issue.

As far as the connection comment, you're saying that if the system is telling me its doing tests "x of 38" or "x of 50" then it's a wiring problem? That's interesting, not necessarily wrong, but still interesting.

I have a direct line come from the satellite's switch. It enters my sliding door using one of those flat cables made for doors/windows. Then, it has a short line from there to the receiver. Everything seems tight.

Those flat cables suck. Try unhooking the cable at the receiver and unplug the receiver for a few minutes. Reattach the cable, power up, and see if the problem persists. If the problem persists, replace the flat cable with regular RG6 and see if that solves the problem. If so, the problem is the flat cable. You may need to replace all the connectors if one of those is shorting out. I'd call E* if you can't locate the problem. I don't think being connected to a common antenna is going to be a problem if you have your own account although I can't guarantee that. Did you go through E* for the original installation or a local dealer?

Yeah still a no-go. I ran the direct line into the apartment. So, there's just one cable straight from the switch. It's sitting on Attention 015 at Progress 0 of 5 using Satellite X on Transponder 13.

Well, the apartment manager turned their breaker box back on and so it works now. Fascinating.

Question: is there a way to add a power booster or something on my end that can power the switch? That way, we can always have it working no matter if people leave?

Thanks!

just what i was going to ask. make sure to run checkswitch.
its a mystery. you do NOT need 2 receivers to power that switch. however if one of the receivers is plugged into a bad electrical outlet, it will cause havoc.
also, if there is an integrated lnb on the dish (dpp twin) it will not work either.

I believe the receiver on Port 1 of that switch is the receiver that supplies power. If that is the case, the solution is to never throw the breaker of the apt. with receiver #1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts