My First Annoyances

blockisle9

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Just thought Id mention these and see if anyone else had them and or know how to aether correct them or a work around.
1- Hard drive maintenance every night. (I do not have any recordings saved so I assume my hard drive is clean)
This is annoying having to wait the 15 or 20 minuets.

2-My guides did not have all the channels on them, a lot actually. Even if you manually enter the number it would change to the closest channel in the guide.

What I did was schedule another up date 1 minute from the current time, Now this is were problem one becomes an issue, I had sit and Wait for the hard drive maintenance to finish (even though it just did this 2 hrs earlier) before I can watch TV. When disk maintenance finished all my Chanel's were back!

I wonder if the guide downloads before the hard drive maintenance? If it does then I guess I could just hit cancel when the hard drive screen comes up.
Thanks for any input
Lenny

blockisle9 said:
Just thought Id mention these and see if anyone else had them and or know how to aether correct them or a work around.
1- Hard drive maintenance every night. (I do not have any recordings saved so I assume my hard drive is clean)
This is annoying having to wait the 15 or 20 minuets.

Documented thoroughly by hall (and others), starting HERE.

blockisle9 said:
2-My guides did not have all the channels on them, a lot actually. Even if you manually enter the number it would change to the closest channel in the guide.

Common problem on the 522. A manual reboot (hold down the power button on the front of the receiver for 5-10 seconds and then release it when the unit restarts) used to "fix" it, but now it might just do the diagnostics on you again, I can't say for sure.

ChrisCoop said:
Documented thoroughly by hall (and others), starting HERE.
According to a post at dbstalk, a Dish employee said that s/w L2.02 has been "spooled". This HDD diagnostics issue is surely one of the fixes in it, given how quickly 2.02 came out after 2.01.

If I under stand correct the update I just received the other day to give me the single mode option, will be replaced already with a new update the will correct the hard drive maintenance and lack of channels in the guide problems.
If this is true I'm impressed at the speed Dish got this addressed.
I guess I see what happens.
Lenny

Lack of channels in the guide, I don't know about. Though I did notice a lot of "Info not available" if I looked far enough ahead in time....

In the case of this next update, presumably it was a simple mistake that caused the HDD maintenance thing to pop up so often and presumably a simple fix. It also might be deemed more critical, if for nothing more than the annoyance (to customers) issue. There are other issues that have been around a long time and not fixed yet.

I had a hard drive cleaning this morning. And though I was willing to let it delete the stuff I had recorded already, it was only two things, I didn't know it got rid of all the timers too. I had so many timers set up and now I have to remember it all and go back and reset them. Is it too much to ask that our systems simply work most like they are supposed to? I mean, would these forums exist if we had no or minimal problems?

typerk said:
I had a hard drive cleaning this morning. And though I was willing to let it delete the stuff I had recorded already, it was only two things, I didn't know it got rid of all the timers too. I had so many timers set up and now I have to remember it all and go back and reset them. Is it too much to ask that our systems simply work most like they are supposed to? I mean, would these forums exist if we had no or minimal problems?
Just switch to Directv and TiVo haven't had a problem since switching 364 days ago. My DISH showroom account has constantly shown buggy software. :mad:

If you're one of those people that needs things to work flawlessly, then I suggest using a Tivo. Having had a Tivo for 16 months, it worked perfectly. The worst thing that happened was that it missed a recording or two because the channel on my cable box didn't change.

Having said that, if you're willing to overlook a few flaws, the DishNetwork 522 is definitely more bang for your buck.

I guess I'm lucky that I'm late to the party. I got my 522 on the last day of 169 so I only saw a few of the bugs before they updated to 201.

Besides adding the new features, I haven't run into any problems so far. It works fine for me. I guess I was lucky to not have run into the hard drive maintenance over the weekend, but they've already released a fix so I guess I never will have to see it.

Overall, while I can see how people have become frustrated with the 522, I'm lucky enough to have arrived at a point where it looks like they've got it running pretty stable now.

The ONLY problem I've seen is when 2 records are going on, and I'm watching an already recorded show there are random blips in the playback. This is probably something that can't be avoided due two all the seperate activity going on with the hard drive. It's annoying at worst, but not a deal breaker.

Fox Sports World Free this weekend

Problem with 2.01

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)