My first trouble

blockisle9

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Today when my 522 did its daily disk maintenance, after it finished low and behold I had no more of my saved recordings not even the ones marked protect.
There was only about 4 hours of recordings on the unit.
Also all my history was gone . I had nothing important saved so no big deal, but will make sure if I do to move it to a tape or DVD.
:( I hope this daily disk maintenance issue is worked out real soon. I really do not see the need for it.

I had the disk maintenance start at 4 am today, I happened to want to watch TV, so I cancelled it. This afternoon it said it "found errors" and I have 7 days before it'll automatically delete all the recordings on the drive. This is -definitely- not acceptable.

I just did a search on disk maintenance and found this thread. My wife called me this morning and when she turned on the receiver she said a long message displayed that told her that there were errors and disk maintenance had to be performed. We were given 7 days to either clean up the disk on our own or the system would do it for us and the end result is that we will lose everything that we have stored. I guess not much to say about this other than the question, as to ask if this is a precursor of a downward slide of the disk or is this just one of those things where things sometimes get sick. Do I have any possiblity of avoiding this or is it a done deal?

We do have to reboot the system occasionally due to the loss of closed caption. Since my wife has hearing difficulity we need this to work. I normally shut down the receiver prior to holding the power button to cause the reboot. I'm curious if this could be a reason. Right now we have about 30 hours of programming on the disk.

Regards,

Jack

jcanavera said:
I just did a search on disk maintenance and found this thread. My wife called me this morning and when she turned on the receiver she said a long message displayed that told her that there were errors and disk maintenance had to be performed. We were given 7 days to either clean up the disk on our own or the system would do it for us and the end result is that we will lose everything that we have stored. I guess not much to say about this other than the question, as to ask if this is a precursor of a downward slide of the disk or is this just one of those things where things sometimes get sick. Do I have any possiblity of avoiding this or is it a done deal?

We do have to reboot the system occasionally due to the loss of closed caption. Since my wife has hearing difficulity we need this to work. I normally shut down the receiver prior to holding the power button to cause the reboot. I'm curious if this could be a reason. Right now we have about 30 hours of programming on the disk.

Regards,

Jack
This is just POOR POOR software from DISH!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Perhaps this explains a call I got from my brother over the weekend...his 522 got an "upgrade" he said (though it shows SW ver. L236), afterwhich all his recordings and timers had been erased.

They may not take kindly to being unplugged...or power outages for that matter. Just a theory, it having a hard drive and all.

EDIT: Not that I think it IS the problem, but some people may not think anything of having their boxes on a power-strip, shutting it off all at once.

bippi said:
They may not take kindly to being unplugged...or power outages for that matter. Just a theory, it having a hard drive and all.

EDIT: Not that I think it IS the problem, but some people may not think anything of having their boxes on a power-strip, shutting it off all at once.
Dish's technical support sure doesn't think anything of it. The last time I sat on hold waiting for a CSR they kept playing a message telling you to unplug your receiver and plug it back in to fix a common problem (can't remember exactly what it was supposed to fix).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts