My Hopper 3 has died

dweber

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 29, 2005
Plain City, OH
Yesterday, my Hopper 3 in my Family Room stopped recognizing my DPH42 switch. Yet the Hopper 3 in the Living Room still recognized the DPH42 switch and was working normally.

After rebooting the family room Hopper3, and powering down and powering up the DPH42 switch I concluded that either 1 port of the DPH42 switch was dead or my one Hopper 3 receivers had died.

I have a Dish technician arriving this afternoon. Meanwhile, the family room Hopper3 has gone into a continuous reboot mode.

Unfortunately I had my 10 years of Rose Bowl and Macy Parades and my fireworks displays in 2 folders on the defective Hopper3. I had moved them off of the external hard drive so that my family could view them with Dish anywhere. I will have learned my lesson the hard way. This is a good example of why I have 2 Hopper 3 receivers. I was able to create timers on my Living Room Hopper3 so I did not miss anything. Unfortunately my new 4K TV is connected to the Hopper3 that died.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Move the hard drive to the other Hopper and you can move them to the EHD.

Be sure not to break any seals, you may have to place them side-by side and just use the cables to connect the good H3 to the drive in the failed H3 - we don't want to void the warranty, do we!!

Move the hard drive to the other Hopper

I've been meaning to ask a question related to this - so are you saying that, one can move an internal HDD to another Ho, as long as it's already been activated on the same account? Without the receiver you're moving it to, reformatting it & wiping the existing shows already on it...as well as being able to playback those same shows with no problems?

Yesterday, my Hopper 3 in my Family Room stopped recognizing my DPH42 switch. Yet the Hopper 3 in the Living Room still recognized the DPH42 switch and was working normally.

After rebooting the family room Hopper3, and powering down and powering up the DPH42 switch I concluded that either 1 port of the DPH42 switch was dead or my one Hopper 3 receivers had died.

I have a Dish technician arriving this afternoon. Meanwhile, the family room Hopper3 has gone into a continuous reboot mode.

Unfortunately I had my 10 years of Rose Bowl and Macy Parades and my fireworks displays in 2 folders on the defective Hopper3. I had moved them off of the external hard drive so that my family could view them with Dish anywhere. I will have learned my lesson the hard way. This is a good example of why I have 2 Hopper 3 receivers. I was able to create timers on my Living Room Hopper3 so I did not miss anything. Unfortunately my new 4K TV is connected to the Hopper3 that died.

That's is why I currently keep my 2 HWS...(For Now :oldwink) My Wife uses one, and I use the other. I recently just had my HWS hard drive go bad..error 760 message. Matt "Speedy" G helped me. I also use an external HD. I was inconvenienced for my HWS dying but my Wife's kept rolling along....whewwww :bow.

I've learned so much lurking on here.

Good Luck dweber

Steve

The Digital Dish technician and his boss both claim using 2 Hopper 3 receivers with a DPH42 switch is not supported. They claim that is why my one Hopper3 is dead. They want to install 2 Western Arc Dishes so each Hopper 3 is isolated. I did not agree so he left. They claim that the DPH42 is only for wing dishes. He supposedly talked to the Dish gentleman who holds the patents for the Hopper 3 and 2 Hopper 3 receivers with a DPH42 will cause failure of one of the Hopper 3 receivers. I need some support to counteract their claims.

Are you using the power inserter for the DPH42? I'm only asking because I heard that the DPH42 may appear to work fine without the power inserter, but it draws enough current from the H3 that it exceeds the H3's specs and could damage it.

The Digital Dish technician and his boss both claim using 2 Hopper 3 receivers with a DPH42 switch is not supported. They claim that is why my one Hopper3 is dead. They want to install 2 Western Arc Dishes so each Hopper 3 is isolated. I did not agree so he left. They claim that the DPH42 is only for wing dishes. He supposedly talked to the Dish gentleman who holds the patents for the Hopper 3 and 2 Hopper 3 receivers with a DPH42 will cause failure of one of the Hopper 3 receivers. I need some support to counteract their claims.

I've been running 2 H3's on a DPH42 for quite a while now. It all came from Dish and is totally supported. What you were told sounds like they were making it up as they go along, which is what a lot of Dish sub contractors seem to do.

That’s not true. One of the intended uses for that switch Was to be able to have 2 at the same address.It is totally supported. I think over the years, one thing that has annoyed me more than anything else or technicians that don’t know what they’re talking about and don’t know everything they need to do on a given job. Not that I know everything, but I do everything I can to learn as much as possible

I called Dish and talked to the Advanced Technical Support. She claims that having 2 Hopper 3 receivers connected to a DPH42 switch connected to a Western Arc Dish (110, 119,,129) and 61.5 as a wing Dish will always end up having problems. She claims that I will end up having problems 3 or 4 times a year. She wants to install 2 Western Arc Dishes connected to a DPH42 switch. She says that we can turn on bridging so each receiver can see the others. Can John Sheridan and others comment please. Is she correct? What would the wiring look like?

She has scheduled an Advanced Supervisor to do the install on October 12th so I have some time to get your feedback.

I am using the power inserted on the DPH42 switch.

I called Dish and talked to the Advanced Technical Support. She claims that having 2 Hopper 3 receivers connected to a DPH42 switch connected to a Western Arc Dish (110, 119,,129) and 61.5 as a wing Dish will always end up having problems. She claims that I will end up having problems 3 or 4 times a year. She wants to install 2 Western Arc Dishes connected to a DPH42 switch. She says that we can turn on bridging so each receiver can see the others. Can John Sheridan and others comment please. Is she correct? What would the wiring look like?

She has scheduled an Advanced Supervisor to do the install on October 12th so I have some time to get your feedback.

I am using the power inserted on the DPH42 switch.

I don't have any experience with a DPH42 and western arc equipment but on my eastern arc setup I have no problems with 2 H3's on a DPH42.

If your H3's are currently seeing each other then you must have them connected thru a duo hub or 2 single hubs with the client ports on the hubs connected. That would work the same way with 2 separate dishes to allow the receivers to see each other.

Before the DPH42 I had 2 H3's on different dishes with the client ports on the hubs connected and they saw each other fine.

I don't see how bridging would help you as that's what 's used to share the internet connection to the 2nd Hopper over the MoCA network, which wouldn't normally be connected when using 2 separate dishes unless using the connected hubs.

Also, what do they tell you they have planned for you to get the signal from the 61.5 wing dish?

There is no way for them to hoppers to see each other, at least not authorized by dish. I read about Tech that used a duo hub instead of two solo Hubs, connected to each Output on the 42 switch and said they could see each other but according to dish this will have problems. I don’t know why you keep hearing that it can’t be done because like I said, that switch was designed to run to hopper threes

Hear that Charlie and everybody else who has 2 or more Hopper 3's that can see each other? It can't be done or we're having problems with them. :oldlaugh

The Hopper 3’s can most certainly see each other, even through a supported means.
I know they CAN see each other, I'm saying dish doesn't authorize using a duo hub or 2 solo hubs linked by client ports when installing 2 Hopper 3's. At least that's the info they're putting out to the techs.

I thought that I would explain my current setup so the professionals can comment.

All of the LNB’s are DP Plus.

119 is connected to Port 1 of the DPH42 switch.
110 is connected to Port 2.
129 is connected to Port 3.
61.5 is connected to Port 4.

129 has line of site issues and often drops out. We need to move the Western Arc Dish to the back yard and I will have a clear line of site.

A Hybrid Duo Hub (203961) is being used. ODU1 on the Hybrid Duo Hub is connected to DPH Receiver Port 2 on the DPH42 switch.

A power inserted is connected between the Hybrid Duo Hub and Receiver Port 1 of the DPH42 switch.

ODU2 of the Hybrid Duo Hub is connected to Receiver Satellite In on the Power Inserter.

The one Host Advanced Client is connected to the Living Room Hopper3 and the other Host Advanced Client is connected to the Family Room Hopper3.

The Client/HVIV is connected to my Joey 2.

Do you guys agree with this wiring?

I talked to Mark from Dish Depot in Florida. He claims that they have installed many dual Hopper 3 receivers using only a single dish and the DPH42 switch.

Again Dish wants to install 2 Western Ark Dishes for my setup. I am trying to gather evidence that this is not needed. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hipkat, are you saying that my Duo Hub should be replaced by 2 singles. I am referring to your reply in post 11 of the other thread.

Hipkat, are you saying that my Duo Hub should be replaced by 2 singles. I am referring to your reply in post 11 of the other thread.

I don’t want to give up wrong information because some people are making it work with a duo hub, but according to Dish it’s doomed to fail so I guess YMMV

I have my two H3's hooked to a duo hub so that they are to see each other. All the duo does is connect a path for the MOCA between them.
I see no difference in doing that as to when I had the four unit combo of H1's & H2's with a jumper between the two duo nodes which worked perfectly for years.

I have my two H3's hooked to a duo hub so that they are to see each other. All the duo does is connect a path for the MOCA between them.
I see no difference in doing that as to when I had the four unit combo of H1's & H2's with a jumper between the two duo nodes which worked perfectly for years.

Maybe the link inside the duo hub isn’t rated to 3ghz? Otherwise all that link inside there is doing is what a cable between 2 single hubs does. But of course this is dish we’re talking about so only one method is supported regardless of what other ways there are to do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)