My Receiver on the Samsung DLP looks dead!

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Tonight as I tried to turn the NFL game of the week on this receiver, it did not respond to any button on the remote so I did a reboot. I got the weather channel and it lockedup. So I did another reboot. This time it gave me the weather channel but this time it did not lock up. When I press to display all channels, the aquiring or downloading PG screen came up and it still up. It has been for the last 10 minutes. So I gave up on that one and left it downloading and went back to the sony tv with the other receiver. Let's see what happens if it ever downloads the pg. If not, I will put a service code for another receiver.

Sean, what you describe is standard operating procedure for me. Every evening my receiver is showing a red dish symbol even though power is never switched off. The only way I can get the receiver to operate again is to unplug the unit for about 15 seconds. Then it will turn on with the same channel 100 and if you try to access the guide you get the downloading message.

I know this so I don't attempt to access the guide. I press the large Voom button and then enter individual channel numbers from the remote. Of course their is no information about the channel you access. It seems to me that it takes about 20 minutes to populate the guide.

I am on my second receiver because of the red push problem. This second unit also had the red-push. However since I have had to implement this unplugging procedure the red-push problem seems to have improved. I have not requested another receiver because I have not yet decided if I will keep the service. If I decide to remain a Voom customer I will request a new receiver.

Derek

dubinvero,

I assume that you are using the component connection and not DVI. I do not know what to tell you about the Red Push since DVI connection seems to be the only solution. I am not saying that every receiver has this Red Push since there are people that have reported no Red Push. The other problem with the lock up and unplug is a problem. I would change the receiver. I am planning to do it with this one. Last night I got very frustrated because it will not download the PG and it locked up from the beginning. I will play with it tonight again.

Here is the latest. After working with it tonight, I found out the following. I was getting frozen images and lock ups. I connected a composite cable and was getting the same lock ups. So I decided to disconnect the DVI cable completly from the receiver and VOILA!!!! - the lockups dissapear.

There was something wrong with the DVI output or the DVI cable. I connected a component cable and everything is back to normal. One observation, I was able to temporarily get connected through DVI using 1080i but it locked up after less than a minute. I tried to connect it to 720p but it was not taken that resolution. I also tried 420p through DVI but was getting the same lock up problems. The DVI is clearly the problem. Whether is the cable or the DVI output of the receiver, I do not know at this point.

Just got it replaced! Everything looks good! I have it connected through component right now will be switching to DVI after PG downloads completly.
The new box had a problem getting the signal in the beginning but after 10 minutes it got all the channels.

A few notes about installer. Not educated on VOOM programming. Did not think that VOOM had 30 HD channels active. He thought those 30 channels included OTA. He gets paid $35 for a unit replacement and $100 for a VOOM installation. He gets $80 for a E* or D* installation. So only gets $20 extra for installing the Stealth antenna which he thought it was more work and he did not like to do VOOM installation.

I did not have a chance to play this new box last night but today I was playing with it. No lock ups and the guide comes up very quickly when you press the VOOM button or the favorite list. Also, navigating the PG is much much quicker and it does not skip channels. Selecting a channel and the time that it takes to display on TV takes same amount of time as my old box. This box also it does not have the redpush in the component output that I saw before and its output is very clear. I really like it and I am considering changing the other box.

P.S. no lockups on this box...

Also, I forgot to mention the installer told me that he gets paid $100 for uninstalling the VOOM equipment. This is the same amount as he will get to install it. I read claims that stated that installers were not willing to uninstall because they will get less money. Apparently, this is not so. I tell you something $399 - $100 = $299 for a selft-installed. I really think that VOOM should look into this as it looks like they are not making a real profit on these installations.

On the new box, I did not see the split second pixelation that you get when tuning to a channel. Tim, do you still see this in yours?

Sean,

What is the approximate serial number or if known the month of manufacture of your good STB

Derek

dubinvero said:
Sean,

What is the approximate serial number or if known the month of manufacture of your good STB Derek

Derek,

I will PM you the SN information. I don't like to make it public. So check your PM in about 5 minutes.

One more observation, I was switching between the 6000u and the VOOM STB watching the Grammys on CBS. Both are connected to the same antenna (CM) with a splitter. While the video is the same on both, the sound is not. The VOOM stb showed superior analog sound on the DLP speakers. I do not have digital sound on the DLP. I have been trying to break down the box by switching back and forth and have not have any lockups. It is amazing how fast the change of channel is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)