n00b with some issues/questions

DaveInPhilly

Original poster
May 5, 2007
Howdy folks, I was wondering if I might pick your collective brain. Today I had Dish Network installed at a new house. It was supposed to be the HD service with a dual tuner HD DVR. The regular Dish works just fine, but apparently the HD dish needs to be aimed in a different direction, which happens to be right into the path of a rather large tree. I still get some HD channels, ESPN, Disc, HBO, etc., but I don't get any of the channels that are specific to Dish. The installer said that in order for me to keep the HD DVR box and continue to get the HD channels that I do get, I have to keep the other dish up there and just leave it unplugged, and continue to pay for all the HD channels that I don't get.

My first question is does this make sense? Is there no way that I could scale back my package to only the HD channels that I can get, to save a little $$$?

My next question: I was also supposed to get my HD locals, but I do not. I understand that it may be possible to integrate an OTA HD Antenna with my current dish receiver. Has anyone done this - mated an OTA antenna to this particular receiver? (I'm sorry I don't know any of the model numbers off the top of my head) Is it possible to tie the OTA channels into the program guide, and maybe even to record them with the DVR?

Thanks in advance!

It sounds like you have no 129 satellite.

Sight from the bottom center of the dish up to the rightmost eye on the lnb pod. That is approximately where the satellite is in the sky.

If the tree is there, the installer should have found a better location and you need to have a different installer come and do it right.

Philly area cannot see 129 and he should have been hooked up to 61.5. You need a line of sight for 61.5, if you do not you will not get the missing HD (and your HD locals as they are also on 61.5). If you are in a fairly wooded area, not sure what you can do. If it a specific tree in your way you have to have it cut down. I am however surprised the installer still hooked you up as Dish usually will not allow the HD package activated if you do not see the proper orbital locations. I would contact the people who installed your system as well as Dish themselves and get your situation worked out as you are now paying for a lot of programing you cannot currently get.

Ok, I picked up an OTA antenna from Walmart and now I get all my local HDs just fine. So I guess my only real concern is the cost. Though, it still might be worth it - Is it possible that there is a "basic HD" subscription that would allow me to keep what I get, and most important keep the HD DVR box, but not have to pay for all the extra channels I can't get?

Howdy folks, I was wondering if I might pick your collective brain. Today I had Dish Network installed at a new house. It was supposed to be the HD service with a dual tuner HD DVR. The regular Dish works just fine, but apparently the HD dish needs to be aimed in a different direction, which happens to be right into the path of a rather large tree. I still get some HD channels, ESPN, Disc, HBO, etc., but I don't get any of the channels that are specific to Dish. The installer said that in order for me to keep the HD DVR box and continue to get the HD channels that I do get, I have to keep the other dish up there and just leave it unplugged, and continue to pay for all the HD channels that I don't get.

My first question is does this make sense? Is there no way that I could scale back my package to only the HD channels that I can get, to save a little $$$?

My next question: I was also supposed to get my HD locals, but I do not. I understand that it may be possible to integrate an OTA HD Antenna with my current dish receiver. Has anyone done this - mated an OTA antenna to this particular receiver? (I'm sorry I don't know any of the model numbers off the top of my head) Is it possible to tie the OTA channels into the program guide, and maybe even to record them with the DVR?

Thanks in advance!

If you are in Philly, that second dish must be aimed at the 61.5 spot. That would be to your south east and must be where that tree is.

Many HD's are there for you including the Philadelphia locals if you get around that tree.

That installer should have known that when he first got there and took a look around.

I'm glad you picked up that OTA antenna and are getting your locals in HD for free. You'll be glad you have it, even if you could find a solution to picking up the other channels and your locals in HD off of the other satellite. But, I would call Dish and have someone else out to look at your situation. Tell them if you can't see all of the programming you are paying for, you will have to cancel the service. Maybe another installer could come up with a solution to your problem. Dishes don't have to be installed on your roof. You might be able to use a tall tripod on your roof, or install the Dish on the ground in another area on your property. These are not your typical installs, but they work. You may have to pay a little extra for the installation or just find another installer who is more knowledgable or just willing to do the extra work. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggesting a second opinion. I honestly would not have thought to even ask. The possibility that the problem would just be an inexperienced installer did not occur to me.

Here's what happened. I was never able to get the TV2 working in my bedroom (we were moving during the install and it wasn't at the new house yet), and after I called tech support, the woman said it was a problem that a service tech would have to come out to fix. So when he came out, I asked him if I could also take a look at my 61.5 dish. In two seconds he said that it should work just fine. Broke out the ladder, went up on the roof, came right down with an LNB in hand and said that the first guy was using the wrong equipment, and that was the problem. Now everything works just as it should!!! Not only did he get everything working!!! He was up there for a few minutes and I heard what sounded like wires slapping around and screw gun. When he came down he said that the other guy had just left everything loose up there so he secured everything to the house, and made everything neat.

Now I am happy!

The elevation on 61.5 is pretty high for the east coast. It should be fairly rare that a competent installer can't get LOS to it somewhere on the property. One of the main locations (119) is usually more of a problem to hit than 61.5

Of course there's exceptions, but generally that's the case.

this only goes to show how woefully deficient echostar is in effecting customer satisfaction...they have forced local dealerships out of business by steering customers to their in-house installation system, staffed by underexperienced people with no stake in customer satisfaction...i'm gald you're happy, but with a real dish dealer, you could well be much more than happy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)