Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
NAB, NCTA Take On EchoStar
By Bill McConnell -- Broadcasting & Cable, 9/24/2004 5:28:00 PM

Broadcasters and cable operators are perpetual rivals, but the industries' biggest trade groups are teaming up to take on EchoStar Communications Corp.'s Charlie Ergen.

Friday, the National Association of Broadcasters and the National Cable & Telecommunications Association asked leaders of the Senate Judiciary Committee to reject the DBS provider's bid for legislation giving satellite TV more power to import network digital TV programming from far-way markets into local communities. They are already allowed to import distant analog signals to unserved areas, though the definition of unserved customer has been a bone of contention.

Legislation pushed by Echostar would "constitute a government giveaway to a single company--Echostar--and will harm localism and competition, two paramount government policies," NAB and NCTA said in a Sept. 24 letter to Sens. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, and Patrick Leahy, V-Vt. The two men are, respectively, the chairman of the committee and its ranking Democrat.

Echostar is pushing a so-called "digital white area" bill that would let DBS providers import digital signals of the broadcast networks to any household that doesn't get a digital signal from the local affiliate. Once the home is served by the local station's digital channel, the DBS company would be required to carry the local channel rather than the imported one.

Ergen says the bill would speed the digital transition because more customers would have access to DTV programming and, therefore, more reason to buy digital sets. He also contends that stations have dragged their feet on delivering digital by broadcasting at power levels well below their maximum permitted range.

Broadcasters counter that Ergen has reneged on promises to drop imported analog channels and there is no reason to believe he'll return digital customers either.

Here's the letter I just sent to my congress critters:
The protectionists at NAB and NCTA are trying to do their best to keep me from watching High Definition TV because their memebers are unwilling and/or unable to make the necessary investments to provide HDTV to me.

I will never see any over-the-air tranmissions, and cable will never serve my home, yet they fight the "Digital White Area" concept that would allow me to receive the HD programming I deserve.

I've already done my part for the economy by spending $4000 on the necessary equipment <grin>. All that remains is to allow Echostar and DirecTV to provide me with the programming content.

My so-called "local" stations are many miles away, and their advertisers have nothing to do with my life. Some bureaucrat drew a line on a map many years ago, and now I'm stuck with it. Unfair.

Please support your constituents by allowing good old American freedom of choice. Fight for the "Digital White Area" provision.

SimpleSimon said:
Here's the letter I just sent to my congress critters:

Hey simon... where do i find out where to send my letter... or better yet where to email it...

I am in the same boat.. except cable does server my area... but they dont have any HD slated for the next 4 years ... ugh

Yeh, the NAB has a lot of room to talk about reneging on promises!!! Hey NAB how is that all digital by 2006 coming along so you can give back some spectrum?

Randy_B said:
Yeh, the NAB has a lot of room to talk about reneging on promises!!! Hey NAB how is that all digital by 2006 coming along so you can give back some spectrum?

Yea its amazing how a great deal of their member's "digital" stations are not even at Full Power or not on even 24/7 yet they want to stop satellite providers from importing HDTV or Distant Signals... maybe its time they get off their tails and force their member stations to crank up those Transmitters to full power instead of letting them skirt around STAs with the FCC to run at lower power'

Or how about some people start buying some receivers and start watching the digital version? They might be more inclined to spend the millions needed to upgrade if there was actually someone watching!

It's a Catch-22, for sure. EXCEPT that the government mandate went out that the broadcasters MUST convert - which breaks the deadlock. But they've been stalling for YEARS now. It simply demonstrates that the stations (and therefore the NAB) simply don't give a damn about their viewers.

SimpleSimon said:
It's a Catch-22, for sure. EXCEPT that the government mandate went out that the broadcasters MUST convert - which breaks the deadlock. But they've been stalling for YEARS now. It simply demonstrates that the stations (and therefore the NAB) simply don't give a damn about their viewers.
No - It demonstrates that the NAB, the FCC & the majority of politicians care more about money and power than they do about the security of this country.

The problem is that the government mandated the changeover, but made no mandate that tv's should have a tuner to receive the signal until when? Last year?

I have officials running for reelection this Nov.. i think I'll write a few letters.

I love being a registered independant.

Here's my letter:

Dear Sir or Ma’am,

I am writing today to express my concern over HDTV. I live in Georgetown, DE, and I’m barely served with an off air signal from 2 digital stations in Salisbury, MD, which are CBS and UPN. As a consumer, I’d like to spend thousands of dollars on digital equipment, but I can’t see the point in doing so with such a limited scope of programming available off of the airwaves.
I subscribe to satellite television, mainly because of their stable, low rates and high-end technology made available to they subscribers. They are trying to get the FCC to act on providing customers like me more high definition signals to watch, from other major network affiliates. Since NBC, Fox, and ABC aren’t able to provide a HDTV signal in my area (mostly due to the lack of stations), they could rebroadcast it over the satellite to my home.
I can’t convince my better half that buying digital tuners, high definition receivers and high definition televisions are worth it for 2 or 3 channels, and I’m sure I’m not the only one. Let Echostar and Direct TV rebroadcast HDTV to Digital White Areas, so I can be able to spend some cash on these nifty gadgets.

I haven't sent it yet.. what do you think?

Received a call from my senator's office yesterday afternoon in response to my fax. Wanted to let me know he supported the bill and would vote for it when it came before the entire senate. Two day response. I'm impressed. :D

I should also add he sits on the Senate Commerce Committee with John MCcain.

NightRyder

The simple fact is that it is all about the $$$$$$.They want to give you the cheapest quality on their part for the most amount of money on our part.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)