National Geo ?

dude2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2006
How many of you find the NGHD channel is going to be worth getting the 180 package to get it in HD. 90% of the time when I look at it, it is in sd with poor picture quality. Not for me yet. I has to get better.

dude2 said:
How many of you find the NGHD channel is going to be worth getting the 180 package to get it in HD. 90% of the time when I look at it, it is in sd with poor picture quality. Not for me yet. I has to get better.

Not even close to being worth it IMHO :)

I've watched several programs in HD, but I'm not really impressed with the overall PQ. We watched "World's Fastest Roller Coasters" a few days ago, then watched "Disneyland Behind The Scenes" on DiscHD, and there was no comparison in PQ. DiscHD blows it away. Many of the scenes on NGHD were shot with SD cameras and upconverted, which doesn't help either.

I think what I have seen of the HD was SD that was stretched to look like HD. The HD was not very clear. But most of the time the picture was 4x3.

When NGHD has HD stuff on there, the PQ is awesome. It's just a matter of catching the channel at the right time.

I think the program content alone is worth the price, the fact that it's in HD can only make it better!!! Now that they are advertising and broadcasting in HD maybe the PQ will get better. Just got up and running on my 622, used to watch a lot(30% of my overall viewing time) of NG, but have a love affair with the (new to me) Rave channel. I'm kind of fickle though, today it's the NFL channel.:hungry:

Aready had Platinum. With 2 leased 622's it isn't that big a step from Silver plus locals plus HBO. But as far as PQ on Nat Geo it has been disappointing. And not getting program info when I'm already paying for the service is extremely uncool.

cebbigh said:
And not getting program info when I'm already paying for the service is extremely uncool.

I agree with you 100%. Its retarded that you have to go to channel 186 to see what is on NGCHD.

I intend to upgrade to platinum from silver; I like Nat Geo HD, and added Starz to get the new HD movie channel; its worth it to get the full package; although I hate having to pay for so many SD channels I will NEVER watch, just to get the HD. Oh well... its only money.

No way!

As weak as 129 is I get oscillation of pixellation and stable picture from TP22. Much of the programming is up-rezzed SD. Not worth $20 per month to upgrade from Bronze and I don't want the extra SD channels.

All the same, you never know what other channels in the upgrade may interest you. We moved up to HD, the gold pack specifically, mostly because we wanted to watch Discovery HD. We went with Gold for the SD programming we were used to with the 180 pack. Turns out, we watch Equator HD more than any other.

Look over the extra SD programming you'll get with such an upgrade. If they don't interest you, hold off on the upgrade. NGHD is not worth it now, but it will get better, and you can revisit the decision then.

I expect Food HD will be in all the metallic packs. That's the one I'm most eager for. If it, or some other upcoming HD, is only available in Gold, you might want to reconsider at that time. A few more HD channels are to be added in the fall.

All HD channel( except movie channels) should be in all the HD packages, that is why you pay extra for an HD package. To just put the Nat Geo in the Gold HD package sucks. Luckily, the channel so fat is not worth a sh*t.

More BULL

What a bunch of crap. Who gives a crap about the SD version when you have ANY HD pack you should get this channel. I dont know why I'm mad, I should have expected this from them. Same old, nickel and dime their customers to death. I wont pay.

Let's see, there are different prices for each "metallic pack." They're not an "HD" pack- that concept went away. Each of these "metallic packs" has different SD programming- why not have different levels of HD programming? HD will become a larger and larger portion of the entire programming provided, and SD less and less.

This stratification is inevitable. We have what, 26 HD channels now? 30 by year's end? How many by the time the digital transition occurs, 2/17/09?

If all HD was to be available as a package, wouldn't they have it the old way, an "HD" pack that you'd add on to your AT 120/180/etc? Breaking it up into different packages clearly shows that they see HD becoming a larger and larger portion of the total programming package. Just as with SD, some folks don't want to pay for some of the programming in the higher tier packages. Same for HD programming.

We all signed up for a certain amount of HD programming that was available at the time we signed up. Yet we get more today for no extra cost as they add HD channels without jacking up the price with each addition. Odd how we don't see "thank yous" posted over that. Just complaints that not all the new additions go to every package. Reminds me of the folks that complained when an SD channel got dropped, and demanded a price cut or additional channel- but never seemed to notice (or offer to pay more) when channels got added.

I was disappointed that NGHD was relageted to Gold and higher. People who are into HD don't watch much SD anymore, yet Dish is forcing people to subscribe to all SD channels to get all HD channels in spite of the fact that they are already paying $20 extra/mo to get HD. I was tempted by Dish's most recent offers for the 622 to switch back from cable... but not if I'm required to get anything higher than Bronze to get all HD channels (outside of premiums). I just hope my cable provider adds NGHD soon! (P.S. Sat nam, guruka.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)