NBC 4K Rio Olympics

It is not an issue about new technology...it has to do with issuing a new service release with dates and times and then failing to deliver. I have been a Dish subscriber since 1999...had Primestar before that and was one of the first 50 Directv subscribers in the Miami area when they lit-up...I would have preferred that the PR release was done differently...but it lights up comments on here....LOL!

Disappointing. I was hoping to get to see the opening ceremony that PT missed the last 40 minutes .Dishes SW department is a joke.

it is so disppointing when dish told alot of us and actually put out press releases to news outlets that we could see the olympics in 4k they should have delivered it to us now you cannot really trust them anymore just saying you guys ok

Reactions: THE5RIVERS
The press release said that the opening ceremonies would not be in 4K. They have until tomorrow to turn the channel back on for the 4K events.

it is so disppointing when dish told alot of us and actually put out press releases to news outlets that we could see the olympics in 4k they should have delivered it to us now you cannot really trust them anymore just saying you guys ok

It was announced at the beginning that the opening would NOT be available in 4K. Where have they said something that was not delivered?

http://www.nbcolympics.com/4khdr

I watched the opening ceremonies in 4K. I put the Dish receiver's 1080i HDMI signal into my 4K UHDTV and the picture comes out.....4K.:oldwink

With that kind of technology, you didn't even need the 1080i signal, you could have just watched the SD channel and still enjoyed the glorious 4K, right? :D

Reactions: Tampa8
With that kind of technology, you didn't even need the 1080i signal, you could have just watched the SD channel and still enjoyed the glorious 4K, right? :D

Not quite,Dish sends the 480i/p signal down from the satellite,the user selects 1080i/p format on their Dish receiver(Dish receiver's do not have a native pass through setting),then the 1080i signal goes through the HDMI cable to the 4K UHDTV

HDMI input then comes out 4K on the TV screen.

But when you check you System Information screen it says the input is 1080i which it is,the only way to tell it's 4K is by the user's eyesight.

I have an OTA antenna connected to the 4K UHDTV's tuner and my 480i channels are not as good being upscaled compared to the 1080i signal being upscaled.So that's using my eyesight and my opinion on the upscaling to 4K subject.

Results do vary by the user,some cannot see the difference,some can,if I could not see a difference in the picture,I would have returned my 2015 4K UHDTV and got a 2015 1080p HDTV.

Yes...I know how upscaling works. I was making a joke about comparing upscaled HD to 4K as if it was the same thing as real full-resolution 4K. ;)

Well I believe it is,but if Dish/Echostar would have designed the Hopper3 to upscale the 1080i signal so operators would see 3840x2160p on their 4K UHDTV's information screen it might have eliminated some complaints? Nah! probably not

then it would be "Where's my HDR10,Where's my Dolby Vision,Where's my Wide Color Gamut"???,and then when the 8K SUHDTV's come out we get to do it all over again,it's going to be a great future.:oldwink:biggrin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)