NBC in Lexington KY out

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bantonb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 28, 2009
Florida
This sucks. I live in Lexington and the local NBC and Dish have a dispute. Looks like we wouldn't see the Vikings/Seahawks game this Sunday.

Does anyone from DIRT have an update?

Yeah. I went through this just last year with the same station on Directv. It's the greedy station owner again. I really don't like government involvement with things, but this asking for way to much money every year has to stop. Do they not realize that people are starting to cut the cord on tv because of this? They are just putting their selves out of business. I was going to switch back to Dish this week until I heard about WLEX being taken off the air. I for one am on the satellite providers side on this and hope these station owners lose millions of dollars because of their greed. Be nice if everyone could just put a 100 foot tower in their backyard and get it for free and tell the station owners to screw themselves.

Reactions: papachops
people are dropping pay tv because its too spendy...not because a local is missing
The preface to that comment wasn't really about it being dropped, but about how the channels are asking for too much money making the service too expensive.

I'm meaning how the station owners are asking for more and more money every year.
I dont think locals are the reason your bill goes up. I mean think about it.
If you subscribe to a package that has say ESPN (yeah I know where some people will whine about sports...thats not the point) and ESPN gets more money, your bill goes up.

But when a company like Raycom or Scripps gets more money for re-transmission, how can Dish charge more for those when you may not have one of those companies for locals? They can't technically but they probably just roll it into the price change so some folks say thats the reason.

Last year I know Dish had disputes with Sinclair and Tegna (Gannett). Minneapolis, MN has both but Duluth, MN (where I use to live) doesn't. So using that theory you cant say my bill went up because of locals.

I dont think locals are the reason your bill goes up. I mean think about it.
If you subscribe to a package that has say ESPN (yeah I know where some people will whine about sports...thats not the point) and ESPN gets more money, your bill goes up.

But when a company like Raycom or Scripps gets more money for re-transmission, how can Dish charge more for those when you may not have one of those companies for locals? They can't technically but they probably just roll it into the price change so some folks say thats the reason.

Last year I know Dish had disputes with Sinclair and Tegna (Gannett). Minneapolis, MN has both but Duluth, MN (where I use to live) doesn't. So using that theory you cant say my bill went up because of locals.
With that many channels going up, and averaging the price across the board for all customers, local channels asking for 300% increase starts adding up. Now it is not just locals, but do play a very real role in it. ESPN is just as guilty, which is owned by Disney, which also played the same game with ABC. CBS just did the same thing, and Fox just got a $0.50 increase for their Fox News alone. My question is, channels that say they didn't even ask for a price increase got dropped(MAVTV) and I am sure there is a reason, but why?

With that many channels going up, and averaging the price across the board for all customers, local channels asking for 300% increase starts adding up. Now it is not just locals, but do play a very real role in it.
very minimal compared to subscription channels
Again ESPN is ESPN regardless of location
My ABC is not the same as your ABC (mine is locally owned, yours may be owned by the network or Tegna or whoever)

My question is, channels that say they didn't even ask for a price increase got dropped(MAVTV) and I am sure there is a reason, but why?
viewership? I honestly dont know.
MavTV maybe paid to be on Dish (like some other stations do)

Viewership was my guess too. And as far as minimal costs, again I disagree 864 times. If even half of the stations demanded a $0.10 increase, we are talking over $60M per month increase to Dish. Or $7.25B per year increase to Dish. That does not seem minimal. And that is just local channels. When you hear them say 200% and 300%, those numbers start mattering and you mentioned Sinclair and Tegna... Huge amounts of locals owned and increased... Think about it.

What kind of math is that?

2 stations go up $.10

14 million x .20 = 2.8 million a month or 33.6 million a year.

Am I missing something?

This sucks. I live in Lexington and the local NBC and Dish have a dispute. Looks like we wouldn't see the Vikings/Seahawks game this Sunday.

Does anyone from DIRT have an update?

If you live in Lexington, you should be able to pick up WLEX over the air for the game.

I've been watcing NBC on my Roku for network programming. Your Dish subscription qualifies you for unlimited access on the Roku NBC app even if you aren't currently receiving WLEX.

What kind of math is that?

2 stations go up $.10

14 million x .20 = 2.8 million a month or 33.6 million a year.

Am I missing something?
432 stations since I chose half the stations to renew, which was believable last year, but we can really choose whichever percentage of locals you desire.. Times $0.10=$43.2x14M=$604,800,000/ month x 12 months= $7,257,600,000/year

I missed a decimal earlier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)