NBC Launch in Washington DC (Hagerstown) DMA

Slamminc11

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
For those who care about such things:
July 12, Dish will launch WHAG, a secondary ABC station, in the Washington DC (Hagerstown) DMA package at no additional cost.

From its website WHAG (NBC25) started in 1970 as an NBC affiliate. Back in those days cable was not as widespread (esp. away from big cities), and I would think that getting Washington or Baltimore OTA stations in the hills of western Maryland could be a bit of an issue. (Antennaweb says a large directional antenna with pre-amp is needed to get D.C. or Baltimore stations from Hagerstown.)

I would expect that a new local station in the same spot today would find it difficult or impossible to get network affiliation, but WHAG is apparently "grandfathered" with its NBC affiliation.

Note - Hagerstown is in the Washington D.C. DMA.

Last edited:
Hagerstown is considered by the FCC as part of the same DMA as DC & Baltimore. Why? Well, it's the government we're talking about here.....

navychop said:
Hagerstown is considered by the FCC as part of the same DMA as DC & Baltimore. Why? Well, it's the government we're talking about here.....
Not government, Neilson created the DMA's for ratings purposes.
btw, DC & Baltimore are seperate DMA's, Hagestown is in the DC one.

Attached is a picture of the DC TV market. Hagerstown is just at the corner of the DMA

Picture taken from the EKB

The county in white was part of the Washington DMA when the map was made, but moved to Harrisburg, PA last year.

See ya
Tony

Attachments

• Washington.gif
    Washington.gif
    43.9 KB · Views: 3,008
TNGTony said:
The county in white was part of the Washington DMA when the map was made, but moved to Harrisburg, PA last year.
Which is funny, as it's one of the few counties that's actually local to Hagerstown. But Dish Network is kind and gives them both Harrisburg and Washington via SV.

animalhouse - Ditto for me, no WHAG in the "All Channels" guide at all last night???

Any chance that we need to do a check switch for force a guide reload?

Last edited:
As of 8AM, WHAG not in the channel guide.

SlamminC, do you have a source / link for this info?

My 64,000 dollar is question is will I be able to watch out of Market college football games this fall with the addition of ABC Hagerstown or do they strictly follow the DC DMA? For example, I pick up DC, Baltimore, Richmond, and even Charlottesville via OTA and would love to have another option for watching Big Ten football, but I've noticed that ABC Collge Football coverage maps typically come down to PA (York?) and Baltimore/DC pick up the ACC.

Oops, you're right (NBC)...have no need for yet another Notre Dame football network. FYI, I pick up Baltimore...and even see York PA, Philly and the Annapolis PBS channels from time-to-time, but I've never picked up WHAG-DT...unless they broadcast at full-power (1000kW).

Could someone change the title of the thread to indicate that it is an NBC affiliate.

Not here yet at !PM Maybe tonight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)