NBC PQ is BS. Who's fault?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tandias

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
OK, I see all the usual suspects on both sides in this forum about D's picture quality. But... Last night I watched my first Sunday Night NFl game with the mpeg4 feed. (NBC Pittsburgh) It was friggin terrible. Looked like Pac Man on an Atari. Looked like glass block. Pixels out the, well point made. I could not compare it to OTA because as we all know the hr20 OTA is disabled. So I ask, did anyone else notice a PQ dip in last nights game as opposed to previous weeks, is it D mpeg4? NBC? What gives?

tandias

I had problems on Dish and OTA (and DirecTV) with the same thing. First time I have seen it. Our NBC affiliate is tops in the nation. Could be the same solar issues that cuased a blackout at about 1:30 yesterday, and could not be that.

The race earlier in the day too was just awful.

Usually NBC has a pretty decent picture. I know cars going 200mph is pretty fast, come on yesterday was unacceptable.

Sports being broadcasted in 1080i is never good. It is great in 720p. This is why ABC, and Fox Broadcast. (Also it saves bandwith).

Wasn't NBC the first network broadcaster to go HD? If so, I wonder if their equipment isn't also the most in need of an upgrade? Anyway, 1080i high-motion sports looked outstanding until local broadcasters started multicasting - need ever bit of that 19.4Mb datastream.

NBC is universally horrible with their HD. Obviously the quality of NBC all hinges on your local NBC station and it's OTA signal, overall they are pretty bad.

talos4 said:
The race earlier in the day too was just awful.

Usually NBC has a pretty decent picture. I know cars going 200mph is pretty fast, come on yesterday was unacceptable.

I thought the race was terrible also. I get it from NYC. :(

I don't have a contact, but here is a place to start: sports@msnbc.com & yes, the PQ was sh___y!

Not sure how--probably a faulty clock somewhere?--but I'm replying to the message below (posted by tandias)??

Last edited:
Yeah, looks like my post is from tonight at 7:30. Im a visionary!

Well, does anyone have a contact at NBC? I say we start a little email campaign. I mean its an HD feed the NBC is touting. Dont advertise and promote these things if you cant deliver. NBC may as well go with some ridiculous claim like having 150+ HD channels in 2005. Heeey.. wait a minute..

i agree the race looked terrible and so did the football game. but i noticed a clip of the game replayed on espnhd and the difference in picture was remarkable!

tandias said:
Well, does anyone have a contact at NBC? I say we start a little email campaign. I mean its an HD feed the NBC is touting.

NBC is well known for having the consistently worst HD broadcasts. Problem is they don't care since HD is such a small part of the market. The few people who visit here would have no impact with a email or letter campaign. Compared to their total viewing audience what you generate here would be just that, "a little email campaign". Of course you could boycott and never watch them, but they would never tell the difference. That's just the way it is.;)

Last edited:
Compared to their total viewing audience what you generate here would be just that, "a little email campaign".

What if we all typed really, really big?

NBC is horrible. HD to Sd back and forth, audio drop outs, etc. I have seen this on OTA, Comcast and D*. This has happened for years in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale market. I always thought it was my market, but now I see it is more than my area. With all of their issues, I really hate that they have the Sunday night NFL game.

Last edited:
Ha, they know no one is really going to boycott NFL games, they could show it in blacka nd white and 99% of the people would still watch.

Here in Columbus Ohio, OTA on 4-1 and the New York feed on 82. Watched the game last night, Oakland/Denver OTA was excellent, 82 was, well, pretty good, not as nice as the OTA. All I am saying is that maybe, I say again maybe this has more to do with your local affiliate broadcasting the game. The only reason that I looked was because of the comments in this forum. Had my son turn to the game and we said, damn, looks real good, (OTA) stayed on, no dropouts, audio fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)