NBC Response about the Central HD Times Zone Feeds

hdtvtechno

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Here is NBC Response about the Central HD Times Zone Feeds
: Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
"At the present time, NBC is only able to provide 2 HD feeds. They are currently used for the east and pac feeds.
When central stations are on the same feed as the east they get the HD feed (primetime and latenight) However, when there are time zone specific feeds (like the Macy's Parade) the central stations get only the SD feed.
NBC is in the process of upgrading the HD facilities and will be able to provide HD for all time zone specific feeds for the Olympics.
After the Olympics it's back to only 2 HD feeds until the HD upgrade becomes permanent- I think some time later in 2006."

Does it really matter. NBC, with out a doubt, is the worst network out there when it comes to HD, or at least the distribution of it. I've lost track of the number of times where someone, somewhere forgot to flip a switch or something and I get to watch a program that's advertised in HD widescreen shown in SD with a letterboxed 4:3 image on my 16:9 display.

Sean Mota said:
You will be surprised that they have been good about flipping the switch.
Can't prove it by me, last weeks Surface was in SD via D* channel 82. I started to record the NYC version of NBC shows since the local Chicago station is horrible about flipping the switch.

I have a very stupid question. If they are broadcasting both an SD and an HD signal for some shows, why can't they do that all the time? Just get some equipment to upconvert the SD shows to an HD format and broadcast that over their HD channel. No switch to flip, everything's broadcast in HD, whether it's true HD or just upconverted. The SD content is on a separate channel, so that shouldn't interfere with anything...am I just missing something here?

They did broadcast all my ND college football home games in HD and it looked incredible. I don't think ABC broadcast a college football game in HD this year until the conference championships. Kind of surprising since they are the same company as ESPN who seems to be at least trying to broadcast as much as possible in HD

Sorry to hear about the Chicago Affiliate not flipping the switch. In Orlando, the NBC affiliate's HD signal is the strongest and most reliable by far. CBS is terrible-weak, fluctuating signal and Fox isn't much better. And they all come from the same antenna farm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts