nbc to launch all olympic channel will dish pick this channel up?

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
NBC is bringing year-round Olympic programming to the United States.
After years of trying, the U.S and International Olympic Committees have agreed with NBC on a package that will offer year-round Olympic programming, focused on U.S. athletes, the parties announced Thursday. NBC will launch a new U.S. television network branded "Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA" in the second half of 2017.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/100048/nbc-to-launch-allolympic-channel

NBC has always been USA-centric with the Olympics. That's why I no longer enjoy them. There are, after all, other athletes in the world who are pretty good at what they do.

Reactions: Jim S.
So, its mostly OLD Olympics footage (a fair amount before HD or 16:9, no doubt--Mark Spitz, anyone) with a smattering of new content produced (what, like the awful original content on the all Lakers channel). This is a very cynical attempt to create one of those LOW COST, but FORCED UPON us to PAY FOR if an MVPD wants the channels with real value. I can't believe they are even STILL trying to create such JUNK channels given the growth of SlingTV, Sony, and now DirecTV NOW, and especially after the public "Mea culpa" of--who wast it, the boss at SyFy (SciFi Channel)--also owned by NBC/Universal--about such old/cheap programming and low value channels not being what people want and not bringing the returns they were supposed to bring(look at Viacom!), so they went the spend more money for quality programming to MAKE money.

This channel will cost money, and I HOPE Dish does not waste our money and get it, but you never know. I am not opposed to really innovative NEW channels, but not more JUNK/TRASH channels that end up increasing our pay TV bills.

I certainly hope Dish won't carry it. Thi$ could be expen$ive and jack up my bill.

The Olympics are run by a shady bunch of people.. The event has lost its purity. Now open to all athletes, the Olympics were for decades open only to amateur athletes.
The Olympics are buried in politics.
This latest debacle in Rio was the last straw. NO way in HELL should that city or the whole of Brazil ever even been considered by the IOC as a host city.

Reactions: osu1991
The Olympics are run by a shady bunch of people.. The event has lost its purity. Now open to all athletes, the Olympics were for decades open only to amateur athletes.
The Olympics are buried in politics.
This latest debacle in Rio was the last straw. NO way in HELL should that city or the whole of Brazil ever even been considered by the IOC as a host city.

NBC is bringing year-round Olympic programming to the United States.
After years of trying, the U.S and International Olympic Committees have agreed with NBC on a package that will offer year-round Olympic programming, focused on U.S. athletes, the parties announced Thursday. NBC will launch a new U.S. television network branded "Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA" in the second half of 2017.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/100048/nbc-to-launch-allolympic-channel
Why not just bring back USN? I never understood why NBC took it off in the first place. Now, with NBC Sports, if you want to watch a sporting event like FIS Skiing and watch it either live or on a taped delayed basis, you have to have a Streaming Device. That is if you have the Internet.

Whats the difference between this new Olympics channel that NBC are going to launch and Universal Sports that closed down? Why did it shut down? Will this new channel show exactly the same programming that was on Universal Sports like Olympic sports like rowing/gymnastics etc? Or will everything it shows have to be Olympics related like specifically Olympic qualifying events? (Or is that what Universal Sports did?)

Why not just bring back USN? I never understood why NBC took it off in the first place. Now, with NBC Sports, if you want to watch a sporting event like FIS Skiing and watch it either live or on a taped delayed basis, you have to have a Streaming Device. That is if you have the Internet.

Almost all of the FIS events air on either NBCSN or Universal HD (channel 247). A great improvement over the fuzz-o-vision picture that Universal Sports used to grace us with on Dish.

You should be completely covered between those two channels for all of your winter sports needs as they also show luge, skeleton, bobsled, and various figure skating competitions.

Almost all of the FIS events air on either NBCSN or Universal HD (channel 247). A great improvement over the fuzz-o-vision picture that Universal Sports used to grace us with on Dish.

You should be completely covered between those two channels for all of your winter sports needs as they also show luge, skeleton, bobsled, and various figure skating competitions.
I agree with you about USN. I know, that the FIS events on NBC Sports are live with digital streaming. Are they live on Universals HD, also?

Events on Universal HD are typically not live, but they do air a lot of them. For example, I'm currently watching a new airing of Wednesday's men's slalom from Madonna di Campiglio, Italy. Is it live? No. But are they at least airing it and does it look great in HD? Yes.

And yes, all of these events are live on NBC's Sports Extra website.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)