Necessary to remove the dish when a hurricane is on the way?

We lived thru several hurricanes here in FL, including the big three a few years back and did not remove them. In fact we watched DISH during the storms. My neighbors who have cable, lost their pictures for many hours! If it's installed correctly you won't even have to readjust the pointing of the dish.

We lived thru several hurricanes here in FL, including the big three a few years back and did not remove them. In fact we watched DISH during the storms. My neighbors who have cable, lost their pictures for many hours! If it's installed correctly you won't even have to readjust the pointing of the dish.

Yup during the April 2011 tornadoes, had thirteen trees felled, one hit the house and tore up the second floor, everyone lost cable for two weeks, my dishes were still fine. Had TV as soon as the power was back on in three days (I need a generator.) Signal strength went up since there were no more trees!

I have Dish and DTV dishes on the OBX of NC. Four hurricanes up to 115 and numerous NorEasters with gusts over 80mph in last 10 years. Never touched the dishes except when upgrading. Hope I never find out about faster winds:)

If you want a little more piece of mind you could add struts to the mount (assuming you don't already have them)

Claude, he was talking about hurricanes, not just storms. We get few hurricanes here in CT. I take my dish down when they come, but it's on a 9 ft pole without any guy wires. It's fine by itself, but in heavy winds I don't trust it.

One of my dishes got whacked out of alignment in heavy winds once, but it was my own fault. I'd left 3 metal panels laying out in my yard, bolted together, probably about 70 lbs, from a garage that I was building. Figured they were heavy enough, but the wind picked them up and slammed them into the dish. Other than that, all of my dishes have gone through some pretty heavy winds fine. No hurricanes though!

I faced Hurricane Rita in 05 and we left the dishes up and evacuated. Hurricane Rita was a cat 2 strength and it did a real damage to my house: about $9000.00 worth. My two dishes were on the large pole that my Primestar dish was on before we had DISH in 97. When we got back both dishes were still on the pole but both were crushed into a C shape. When I tried to move the dish the pole itself had rotted clean through and came off at the base. So I had to install my own poles in quickcrete and install some new dishes . When Hurricane Ike in 08 came through town , I pulled my dishes off their poles and put them in my house. When we got back we had only about $3500.00 worth of damage and both poles were fine. I re-installed my two sat dishes and I was up in running in under 30 minutes after we got lights back on. My sister with TWC cable service was waiting over a month after both hurricanes ,before she had her tv back on.

So if I knew it was going to be a cat 2 or higher hurricane , I would pull my dishes down. Unless you want to wait for an install from DISH after the hurricane is over. Not to mention the cost of the installer at $95.00 a visit ,unless you have the insurance.

It all depends here in PR I wait if its a direct hit and comes more than 100 mph wind gust and then I will remove it only for Hurricane George I removed it

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!