Need for Grounding Dish/RG6 Cable Installation?

Ron AKA

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Alberta
I am trying to troubleshoot a split second dropout problem without success. Essentially every component except for the physical dish has now been replaced. But in looking at this thing, I do not see anywhere this setup is actually grounded. The only possible ground would be the shield side of the RG6 cable where it plugs into the receiver. Is this normal? Could the lack of a separate ground be responsible for the dropout problem?

The lack of groundin can cause problems. If you have checked out everything and are still having problems you should make sure your system is grounded properly.

I am trying to troubleshoot a split second dropout problem without success. Essentially every component except for the physical dish has now been replaced. But in looking at this thing, I do not see anywhere this setup is actually grounded. The only possible ground would be the shield side of the RG6 cable where it plugs into the receiver. Is this normal? Could the lack of a separate ground be responsible for the dropout problem?
Chances are greater that the problem is with the AC power rather than a grounding issue. The braid is good enough for most purposes.

For safety,the system should be grounded.You never know when there could be a short and you could be electricuted or destroy your tv and components. A grounding block should be inserted inline on the rg6 cable with a wire running to a grouned connection. Many states and I guess Canada have laws explaining what is required.

I found some information which says a ground (#6 copper wire) is required to meet our Provincial electrical code. It must go from the dish to the house ground. That is not going to be cheap or convenient. I'm guessing the purpose of the ground is for protection against a lightening strike. Is it necessary for good reception or is the cable shield good enough for that? And I guess that will depend on what the circuit actually looks like inside the receiver, and how the shield is grounded or not grounded.

There should be a ground/messenger wire attached to the cable from the dish to a ground block. at the ground block you should have the messenger wire connected there then also a ground wire going to a ground location.

I would think more for static charges or shorts than lightening. Perhaps someone who knows for sure will chime in.

If lightning hits your dish you will have more problems than your reciever or TV being blown up, with or without ground.....LOL

In my area -little to no lightning strikes- static discharge is the main key. Plus its NEC to ground......

But on the other hand grounding can cause just as many problems as not grounding.

Check your recepticles for correct wiring. Before you go all crazy with trying to ground your satellite system.

Check your recepticles for correct wiring. Before you go all crazy with trying to ground your satellite system.

Checked the wall plug and it is wired correctly. Power is fed through a power bar and surge protector. The TV and receiver are polarized three prong plugs. Also checked the resistance between the ground prong on the receiver and the RG6 shield connector. It was less than 0.1 ohms, about the accuracy limit of my meter. So, I'm now thinking that while I do not have adequate lightening protection, the RG6 shield should be grounded from a noise interference point of view.

Bell agreed that the system needed to be grounded. A service rep came today to check the installation and ground it "properly". I was impressed that they would send someone out on a Sunday. In any case when he got here and we discussed what he was prepared to do, we could not agree on the proposed method. I had done some checking on the applicable electrical codes to our area (Alberta, Canada) and came up with the following links.

Canadian Standards Association - 54-922 Grounding of Antennas

Satellite Grounding Rules - Electrical Contractors Association of Alberta

What Bell wanted to do is called "bonding" where they run a light wire from the RG6 shield to the house electrical panel #6 ground. The way I see it, they also have to connect the dish structure itself to the house ground with a #6 copper wire to meet Canadian CSA code. They refused, and said they did not even have #6 wire. So I told them not to bother as the RG6 shield was already grounded through the receiver and house ground and it would not improve the shielding or noise reduction. And, they would not provide lightening protection unless they put in a proper heavy wire, or more importantly bring the installation up to meet the electrical code.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)