Need help connecting 722 to the internet

pc5000

Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
I connected my 722 to the Ethernet cable, did System Setup\Installation\Broadband Setup\Network Setup and then Reset Connection and nothing: not connected. I put the very same cable to my laptop and I had Internet access via 2wire router. I put the cable back to my 722, saw one solid light and one flashing light on the DVR Ethernet port did Reset Connection and …no connection:(. I rebooted the router and the receiver, did Reset Connection and …no connection:confused:. My 2wire router is DHCP. What else can I try? Am I missing some steps? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pc5000

I would try unplugging your receiver for about a 2 minutes or so .After the 2 minutes or so plug it back in.It will usually reset all of the settings in the receiver.My 722 did not recognize the internet at one time.It may work or it may not.Its worth a try.

Max length for ethernet cable for 722

After spending countless hours, disassembling and assembling both my networks and moving my routers around I found what the problem is. The DVR connects without problems to my home network via 6ft cable but not via 92 ft cable. Both cables work fine with my laptop. So the question is what is the maximum length of CAT 5e solid UTP cable I can use with my 2wire wireless router or my NetGear router do connect to DVR? I know the maximum theoretical of Ethernet cable is 100m but I need the “real” max length. Can I use a different cable? What are the lengths which other people are using? What are my other options? Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pc5000

Just coil up the 92 foot cable in to a 2 foot circle and leave 2 feet sticking out each end. Then you'll have a 6 foot cable and it should work just fine. :rolleyes:

Seriously though,

If I'm understanding you right - you try the same setup that works with your laptop on the DVR (including wireless, router & 92' cable) but it fails on the DVR connection. If so you need to either get a better quality cable or shorten the distance. If you are using wireless, can't you get a wireless setup by the DVR and use a 6' ethernet cable?

No, I don't use wireless for my DVR, I was trying to use 92ft cable connecting DVR to a router which seems too long. Hence my questions: Is anybody using 50ft or 80 ft cable connecting a router to a DVR and it works? Is anybody using a different cable than CAT 5e UTP? Can I somehow amplify the signal?

No, I don't use wireless for my DVR, I was trying to use 92ft cable connecting DVR to a router which seems too long. Hence my questions: Is anybody using 50ft or 80 ft cable connecting a router to a DVR and it works? Is anybody using a different cable than CAT 5e UTP? Can I somehow amplify the signal?

Can't you use a shorter CAT 5 cable? If you can't, try using a wireless adapter for the DVR. Search the forum, there's plenty of discussion about it.

I used the Belkin A3l791-100-S Patch Cable below for only $25 and it worked just fine. Yes I too did not need 100ft but for this price, why not. I am on AT&T.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-A3L791-100-S-100-Foot-Snagless-Molded/dp/B00006HUJU/ref=pd_bbs_sr_8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235491338&sr=8-8#moreAboutThisProduct]Amazon.com: Belkin A3L791-100-S 100-Foot RJ45 CAT5E Patch Cable, Snagless Molded: Electronics[/ame]

125 ft is max. Cat5 is prefect. Now unless something is wrong with the Cat5 like a bend, crimp, twist that could allow for some issue. Inspect as much of the wire as possible. Anytime a piece of low voltage wire gets these in or on them it's no good and the piece needs to be replaced. Some people will say just splice it!WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!Replace and here's why, you want that wire to be soild and 1 piece. You are only asking for headaches. Don;t put a bandaid on it cuz it might not fix the issue at hand and now the situation has gotten worse.

Also, inspect the ends as close as possible, maybe something in the connection is wrong, then just replace the ends and your good to go.

I've got a 50' CAT5e that I can try and see if it connects my 722 DVR and my router (small little D-link model). I'll let you know if it works. But even then you'll probably be wanting to know about >90ft results.

I still think the solution is a better cable, shorter distance or try wireless (others have decent success with that route).

EDIT:

I tried the 50' Cat5 cable tonight and it worked just fine on the first try. I recommend a switch at the end of your 92' Cat5.

Last edited:
Shucks...

We have seen all sorts of bad connectors in the RJ45 realm... Crimps, split pairing, etc...

However, you might just want to install a 5 port switch right there at the home theatre center ... 'cause don't you want a RJ45 internet connection for your Blu-Ray and your HD-DVD too?

Ted...

Shucks...

We have seen all sorts of bad connectors in the RJ45 realm... Crimps, split pairing, etc...

However, you might just want to install a 5 port switch right there at the home theatre center
PC5000,
I think Ted is on to something that could easily fix your problem. If, indeed, the 92' Cat5 cable is working with your laptop - then it ought to work with a network switch on the DVR end.

You can get them real cheap these days. Then just connect a short Cat5 from your DVR to the switch at your home theatre center next to your DVR.

Type in 'D-Link DES-1105' to newegg.com and find a switch that you can get for under $8.99 after rebate (with free shipping). I won't pay for it if it doesn't work - but I'd do it in your case if you think the 92' cable is good. That would be less than getting a new 100' Cat5e cable (in most cases).

It you want me to explain more, let me know. But it could be the easiest solution for you and allow you to connect more equipment down on that end of your home since you have no other cables going down there...

First of all I want to thank you for all your answers and suggestions. It looks like I still have several options to pursue (wireless, network switch, shorter cable by moving my wireless router half way between my computer and DVR, and so on). I also did some more testing on my 92ft cable. I checked resistance on each of the eight wires and it is 3 ohm which I am not sure is high or low but at least I know they are connected properly – I have attached the RJ45 connectors myself. But when I used the cable between my two routers it worked intermittently. So my next step will be to get a factory made Cat 5e cable. I will let you all the results in a few days.

The factory made CAT 5e molded 100 ft cable works just fine. Out of curiosity: each wire has 2.8 ohm resistance, slightly less than the cable I made. End of story\project.