Need Help....Currently with D* Switching to IO Cablevision.

jahan

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 25, 2004
My one year contract with D* recently expired and I decided to switch to IO Cablevision. Cablevision offered me the following:

1. Gold Package (includes all movie packages)

2. VIOP includes all calls in the US, Canada, Puerto Rico, call waiting, voicemail, etc.

3. High Speed Internet Access

4. FREE HD DIVER and free DVR service for one year

5. Includes 18 HD channels at no extra charge (CBS HD, NBC HD, ABC HD, WB HD, FOX HD, Thirteen HD,YES HD, MSG HD, FOX Sports Net NY HDTV, ESPN HD, Stars HDTV, Universal HD, HBO HD, Showtime YD, Cinemax HDTV, The Movie Channel HD, IN HD and Hi-Def On Demand)

6. Free installation

I get all this for $135.57 (includes 4 boxes) a month. I will be saving about $750 annually by combining my services with cablevision.

Seems like a no brainer but I have not used Cablevision before and would appreciate feedback before I make the switch.

Thanks

My one year contract with D* recently expired and I decided to switch to IO Cablevision. Cablevision offered me the following:

2. VIOP includes all calls in the US, Canada, Puerto Rico, call waiting, voicemail, etc.

5. Includes 18 HD channels at no extra charge (CBS HD, NBC HD, ABC HD, WB HD, FOX HD, Thirteen HD,YES HD, MSG HD, FOX Sports Net NY HDTV, ESPN HD, Stars HDTV, Universal HD, HBO HD, Showtime YD, Cinemax HDTV, The Movie Channel HD, IN HD and Hi-Def On Demand)

6. Free installation

I get all this for $125 (includes 4 boxes) a month. I will be saving about $750 annually by combining my services with cablevision.

Seems like a no brainer but I have not used Cablevision before and would appreciate feedback before I make the switch.

Thanks

Well I have D* and tried the CV special so for a while I had both. It really depends on what you like to watch.

CV is a bit less hassle but the UI is SLOOOOW. That said, CV programming is better if you like movies rather than sports. CV has StarzHD, TMCHD, etc. and loads of movie channels. But they DON'T have TCM, BBCA, DIY, FineLiving, RFD-TV, Setanta, CSTV, ESPNU, HDNet, DiscHD nor of course NFL ST (which I don't subscribe to but is a BIG issue if you like football). HDNet and DiscHD are really good channels with, generally, excellent quality (although CV has InHD which D* doesn't).

In the end, for me, I preferred to have the extra channels (especially, BBCA, RFD-TV, FineLiving, HDNet, DiscHD and Setanta). If you don't care about those and like movies then the savings with CV are icing on the cake. I can't speak to OV but OOL is excellent, I still have it even though I dropped iO.

Good Luck with your decision.

=NLK=

BTW: What's MASK?

I just switched from CV (bergen county) to D*. If I get my IQ issue solved on my brand new digital tuner I doubt I will look back. I had an analog explorer box upstairs and an HD 4200 box on my DLP in my living room. Sound quality was 'meh' but acceptible, when they bothered to transmit surround sound. Analog 1 - 99 channels looked awful on my big DLP set no matter what I did, and on either box many of the low channels were off on color and looked bad. The HD programming is solid, more than we get with D* until september or so and it almost always looked great (the HD box is DVI out). The GUI they have was recently updated but doesn't come near the functionality and speed/ease of use of what I am seeing now with D*. They obviously don't have sunday ticket, but they have all the other sports and some decent packages. Digital (non-hd) channels aboce 99 look good to excellent, better than progressive scan DVD IQ but not as good as upscale DVD video (by way of comparison).

Besides no sunday ticket my only other real gripe was with the HD box (it needs to be reset a lot and the GUI is dead slow) and the signal quality. I got a lot of audio sync lag in all three signal types which after switching to a channel would catch up maybe 25 -45 seconds afterwards, and lots of IQ issues with computer style block pixel interference and even complete lag out of digital and HD signals. They came out several times, tweaked my wiring once and worked the menus of the HD box to try and boost signal, swapped it out once with a brand new one, but ultimately they said it was a problem in the neighborhood and until they had enough complaints they wouldn't be repairing it... not kidding, this is what they told me.

I will mist MetroTV, that channel is killer if you have to go into NYC a lot by car. I am keeping OptimumOnline cable internet service, you will only get me to quit them when they die... fast, fast, fast, fast, FAST! plus it's reliable as heck in our area (SaddleBrook).

NLK - Mask = "MSG HD" the spell check changed it to MASK.

GNR & NLK - The HD box that I'm getting is the 8300 HD DVR. This supports HDMI and read that the PQ is much better than the HD 4200....Any thoughts?

Thanks

jahan said:
NLK - Mask = "MSG HD" the spell check changed it to MASK.

GNR & NLK - The HD box that I'm getting is the 8300 HD DVR. This supports HDMI and read that the PQ is much better than the HD 4200....Any thoughts?

Thanks

Oh, OK. I thought it was some horror channel or something. :) If you're a sports lover that IS something I forgot: you can get MSG/FSNY HD on CV but not on D*. Still not enough for me but it might push others over the edge.

There have been issues reported with the 8300 DVR (but hey, it's a lot cheaper than the one that D* does or doesn't offer).

Have you perused the Yahoo! CV group (am I allowed to say that)? More information there.

=NLK=

dishrich - Mask HD should have read "MSG HD". It was accidentally changed during spell check.

PS....This deal is available to satellite customers only and will cover up to $200 in breakage fees with your current salellite provider.....I belive this deal may have expired on July 31.

8300 HD DVR is the way to go. The box is not perfect but you can add more space to the harddisk through the USB PORT. Also, later on they will add a firewire port and when that comes out, it will blow away any HD DVR on DBS.

I tried Yahoo and was not impressed. This forum rocks! I always get useful help in this forum.

Please do not create multiple threads for the same subject. I moved your other thread on this to the Cablevision iO thread.

No idea about hte PVR/HD box. The HD IQ was killer for the most part with the 4200 so I don't see it geting all that much better.

I recently made the switch from DTV to CV. So far, I've been extremely pleased.

AS has been mentioned, you'll lose NFL Sunday Ticket. That was a biggie for me but I can't justify the price they're charing for it and the other things about DTV. I won't hijack the thread to bash DTV...

Anyway, here's what I like about CV:

-More HD channels and they don't charge extra for it (I know, it's built into the price...)
-More movie channels and more movie channels in HD
-On Demmand--I've found this is an awesome way to watch stuff you don't have recorded
-Don't have to pay a fortune for an HD DVR. Ok, it's no Tivo but it works.
-Price is WAY cheaper than DTV for what I get.

Here's what I dislike about CV:

-No Discovery HD Theater--I miss that channel.
-No InHD 2. Seems like there's a lot of good stuff I'm missing out on there.
-No NFL Sunday Ticket (discussed above).

Other than that, I've found the pq (in my area) to be (overall) superior to what I was getting with DTV for both SD and HD. Sure, HDNet looked better but, honestly, I found the HDNet channels to be a total waste for me. I hardly ever watched them. I find myself watching InHD all of the time. Everyone has different tastes though.

The DVR has been good. I wish it had a more Tivo-like interface but it still works. Found a few minor bugs but I can deal with it for the price.

I say go for it.

The Rickster

Cablevision. Last I tried them was a year ago, tried the exact same promotion. They MAY have corrected these things since then, I don't know. I'm just relaying my experience.

The Good: On demand video rocks (when it works), Cablevision's internet service is nothing short of excellent. After five years, I finally gave it up though when Verizon was offering their DSL 768/3000 for $30 a month. It's been totally stable and I haven't been sorry at all to leave OptOnline, even though I thought I was taking a big chance.

The Bad: I HATED the VoIP. It seemed the farther away across the country the person I was talking to was, the worse the VoIP was (which makes sense to a point). It was like using a walkie-talkie. Only one person could speak at a time, and the connection would drop for 1/2 a second, which doesn't sound like much, but it was enough to make you want to go back to Verizon at triple the cost.

As far as the cable goes, they had some serious issues with the UI. VERY slow, and that was majorly annoying, but not a deal-breaker. What WAS the deal breaker was when you'd be watching a PPV movie, and it would freeze, and you wouldn't be able to re-order it because there was an issue on their servers or something. I'd call tech support and they'd say to try it in a few hours. When that didn't work, I was told I'd get a call back when they found out what the issue was. Never got a call. Sometimes you'd load up a menu and the content panel was missing with some kind of Java error. Whenever things like this happened, tech support was totally uncooperative and would only promise to send someone out ASAP, and the rep wouldn't find anything wrong (because it was not the box's fault, it was the server)...

And this is not the sum of all the problems I had with I/O.

Also, the PQ on the locals was HORRIBLE compared to DirecTV's picture. Lots of snow, and those channels that didn't have snow had major pixellization or crushed contrast. Maybe they've fixed that by now.

When I finally ditched Cablevision early, before the promotion period was even over, my wife made me promise never again to give up DirecTV, no matter what the offer. I've been tempted, especially now with HD and not being able to see 119 well (and they've called incessantly, despite my asking them not to), but every time I remember what I went through with customer service, I decide I'm willing to put up with missing DiscoveryHD and a couple local HD channels and stick with DirecTV.

Your mileage may vary, I'm just saying I wouldn't get locked into any long-term arrangement until you test them out.

;)

jahan said:

6. Free installation

I get all this for $125 (includes 4 boxes) a month. I will be saving about $750 annually by combining my services with cablevision.

Thanks

just to let you know that 125 does NOT include all 4 boxes, with 1 dvrbx its $119, if you show a copy of your dbs bill and 5.24 for each additional box

HKB409--Thanks I called CV and the cost will be approx $134 -Gold Package $109, HD8300 HD DVR (1st box is free) with free DVR service, Each additional box is $5.00.

I greatly appreciate eveyones feedback.....Thanks!!!!

jahan said:
HKB409--Thanks I called CV and the cost will be approx $134 -Gold Package $109, HD8300 HD DVR (1st box is free) with free DVR service, Each additional box is $5.00.

I greatly appreciate eveyones feedback.....Thanks!!!!

with a total of 4bxs one being the hd dvr it would come to 135.57. no problem thats what im here for :)

jahan said:

6. Free installation

Thanks

My contract with D* is up in a month and I'm going to do the exact same thing :)

Boondockbill said:
My contract with D* is up in a month and I'm going to do the exact same thing :)

you can do it now, they will credit you cable account with any termination fee you receive from your dbs provider or dsl provider. you just have to fax them the last statement.

My install date is next week. Is there anything I should be aware so that I can address it with the CV Tech? I want to ensure that I get the best possible HD PQ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts