Need help getting started

Status
Please reply by conversation.

enzo86

Original poster
Sep 22, 2006
Hello all,

I am trying to get started in FTA, I am on DTV now and looking to try and cut away. I am looking for a HD receiver with PVR pref one of the linux boxes. I am not really sure what to buy. I see the dreambox 8000HD but dont know anything about any of the boxes.

Any help would be great

Thanks.

sobering thoughts:

What sort of programming are you expecting to find on FTA?
If you lived in the sticks and had one OTA station, then FTA would be a big step up. - :)
But if you've been marinated in a $100+ per month account with DirecTV or DishNetwork, FTA might seem a bit of a drought. - :rolleyes:

What sort of programming are you expecting to find in HD?

Be aware, that you'll have no real guide on FTA receivers, so if you can get them to reliably record (sketchy), you'll have to enter time/date, not simply click on a guide entry like Dish/Direct.

AND, depending on your preferences, you may need a BUD (8-12 foot dish) for C-band programming, in addition to a 36" dish for Ku.

If none of the above is discouraging, then welcome to the wonderful world of FTA! - :D

PS: how can anyone be here since 2006, and this be their first post? ;)

Other than a PC-based tuner card or USB box, which I would discourage someone new to the hobby from getting into without experience, I would recommend either the AZBox or the Sathawk.

What sort of programming are you expecting to find on FTA?
If you lived in the sticks and had one OTA station, then FTA would be a big step up. - :)
But if you've been marinated in a $100+ per month account with DirecTV or DishNetwork, FTA might seem a bit of a drought. - :rolleyes:

What sort of programming are you expecting to find in HD?

Be aware, that you'll have no real guide on FTA receivers, so if you can get them to reliably record (sketchy), you'll have to enter time/date, not simply click on a guide entry like Dish/Direct.

AND, depending on your preferences, you may need a BUD (8-12 foot dish) for C-band programming, in addition to a 36" dish for Ku.

If none of the above is discouraging, then welcome to the wonderful world of FTA! - :D

PS: how can anyone be here since 2006, and this be their first post? ;)
LOL, I setup a account when I was having problems with my DTV system a while back to view some posted photos.

I think the BUD is out per the wife approval factor. The Problem with Dtv is that we are paying over 110 bucks a month for about 6 major channels that we watch. Some of those are not on FTA but I have found where we could watch the shows on online or signup for hulu plus

These are about the only channels we watch

NBC
ABC
CBS
NATGEO
DSC
HIST

I am planing to offset some of our major programming with a boxee box and hulu. Here are some additional questions.

1. Is there any on screen guide for FTA ?
2. Is there any option to buy small sections of service on the KU band.

Thanks Again

Welcome!
To answer your questions, #1 was already answered by Anole, there is no real channel guide on fta channels. A few channels have guide info, but since the channels mostly aren't controlled in large groups by one entity, most channels don't include the guide info in the signal. TitanTV is an online guide that can provide the guide info for many major US channels.
#2..Don't understand the question. Are you wanting to buy uplink time on a satellite, or do you mean buying subscription programming in small packages?

#2..Don't understand the question. Are you wanting to buy uplink time on a satellite, or do you mean buying subscription programming in small packages?

Buying subscription programming in small packages.

Thanks

Other than a PC-based tuner card or USB box, which I would discourage someone new to the hobby from getting into without experience, I would recommend either the AZBox or the Sathawk.

I am looking at the AZBOX HD ULTRA and Elite HD Thoughts on which one would be better ?

Thanks

alternatives

Where are you located?
If anywhere within 75 (maybe 100) miles of a large city, you should be able to get digital OTA networks in HD.
Here's a PVR that'll capture them (in HD) and give you a useful guide. (oops, make that Kmart: $250)
It's very end-user friendly.
And, I'm sure our Digital Over the Air (OTA) forum department can help with ideas on antenna and amps, as well as cable.

Actually, it's good to have several sources of entertainment.
That way, if one is being worked on, another will keep the spouse happy. :)
I'm chatting right now with a fellow who can't install a new switch on his satellite setup, 'cause the wife is watching some show.
Never put all your eggs into one basket. - :rolleyes:

enzo there is nobody selling subscriptions to home-fta customers, other than a few foreign channels, and some religious programming (see GloryStar). For the most part, the cable-fare is up there for delivery to cable-headends , hotels and other commercial customers. Direct to home pay-tv of the 'cable channels' variety is locked up by the few programming providers, like Dish and Direct, and they require use of their own equipment, with their associated contracts, fees, penalties and all their other stipulations. Sadly, the way its evolved in this country bears no resemblance to the fta systems in Europe.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts