Need help re-aiming satellite

blur2u

Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Alright, I have recently lost my voom channels and most of the HD adds on my dish. I read the thread below about the guy who lost his HD and it didn't help me much. Dish said they would charge me to come out and fix it, but I can't imagine it being that hard to fix it myself if someone can step me through it. Does anyone know what I need to do? What measuring tools do I need for alignment?

Thanks,

Sam

Check with Dish to make sure your HD plan didn't change.

It almost sounds as if you had the HD Ultimate Plan and now you are at HD Essentials.

What HD receiver(s) do you have, what Dish(es) and what channels exactly do you see or not see? If more than 1 HD receiver, is the same thing happening on all your receivers?

OK, lets start some trouble shooting. Go to the Point dish screen and run a checkswitch. Report back what satellites and switches show up on the results. You may just be out of alignment.

Alright...ran the checkswitch

I already called dish and they said that nothing changed on my subscription. They acted like it was just out of alignment...but they will charge me to come and fix it.

Here are the results for my checkswitch:

summary.jpg

summarydetails.jpg

Last edited:
It seems like all of the channels are on satellite 129 even though it says it's OK. I think it is only my VOOM channels. (that are not working)

Oh..hold on..

And TBS, A&E.

What is up with this????

Strange. It looks like you have things set up OK. Go to the point dish screen and change the satellite to 129 and the transponder to 23 and report back the signal strength. Then check 22 and then 6 and then 27. These are the Voom transponders and the TBS and A&E. If they come back green and you still cannot tune to them then maybe Dish has changed your package accidently and the first CSR didn't know what they were doing. When you say you "lost' these channels are they not even in the guide or does an error message come up when you select them?

OK, will try that when I get home from work. Thanks so much for your help. Here is a little more background on the story. I started to get a lot of digital fuzz in the missing HD channels and it got increasingly worse until now it just says it lost the signal. The signal was never strong since the install. I don't think the tech took the proper time to get the best signal, but that is just my opinion. All of the channels are still listed in my guide.

I will post the results of my point dish later this evening.

Thanks!

Satellite 129

Transponder 12 = 18 ( I know you didn't mention it, but it seems low?)

Transponder 6 = signal strength 7

Transponder 22 = signal strength 7

Transponder 23 = signal strength 9

Transponder 27= signal strength 9

Those are all in the red on the meter. They were never really strong to begin with when I originally had it installed.

OK so that is your problem for sure! The dish is out of alignment. That being said, since you have a signal it isn't far out of alignment. You can do this yourself. The easiest way is to get someone else to stand in front of the TV and as you slightly move the dish left right up and down to see which way makes the numbers increase.
IMPORTANT: When I say slightly move i mean it. Small movements are your friend.
I would try this without loosening any bolts at first just to see which way it needs to go. Then you can loosen the bolt and move it a bit and retighten.

Your other option is to call Dish and have them come and realign it for you, but as you mentioned they will probably charge you. Let us know if you have more quesitons.

Haven't made it on the roof yet...

Well, I had to mow my grass yesterday after work and that used up all of my daylight so I haven't had a chance to get up there and mess with the satellite alignment. But to retort to the statement about the leaves....there are no trees close to the line of sight of the dish. I wish there were, because I could use the shade. However, I do think the dish may be mounted down on the roof a little too far. It is pointed towards my gable and it looks like there is just barely enough room to clear the gable. That is the only thing that could be in the way though.

I realized last night I have also lost Discovery HD, so I can't watch the new season of "Deadliest Catch" in HD until I get this fixed!! :mad:

One thing to remember about the line of sight is that since it is an offset dish is the line of sight actually is way above where it appears to be aiming (approx 20 degrees "higher").

One other minor quibble - you aren't moving the satellite. You are moving your satellite dish.

I hate it when people tell me that they have a satellite on their roofs!

OK, will try that when I get home from work. Thanks so much for your help. Here is a little more background on the story. I started to get a lot of digital fuzz in the missing HD channels and it got increasingly worse until now it just says it lost the signal. The signal was never strong since the install. I don't think the tech took the proper time to get the best signal, but that is just my opinion. All of the channels are still listed in my guide.

I will post the results of my point dish later this evening.

Thanks!

By this added information and the signal strength readings, I would say it is not alignment, but a failing LNB. (Unless there are loose bolts and the dish is not locked down tight.) Check all connections to rule out corrosion or loose fittings but if the problem is not found there, it is likely the LNB.

Where you live? I live in Kentucky and for the last week Ive noticed that many of my HD channels(especially TBS) are going out. Sometimes thoght they come on. Im hoping its just a alingment issue and nothing to major.The signal is like single digits sometimes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)