Need help to setup the 921.......

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hzhao

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2004
Just got my second 921. But had trouble to get the switch matrix. Here is what happened:

To simplify the process, I put the new 921 at the exsiting 921 location and knowing the signal (two feeds) are all well. I have the DPP44 and superdish 121, plus the 61.5. After run the check switch, it indicats no switch is found, check the signal stength, input 1 is fine, but no signal on 2, if I disconnect 2, then re-connect again, signal became fine. But after ran the check, 2 will lose signal again. I was wondering if 921 out of box does not compatible with DPP44 switcher. I did remember that only recent software update will support DPP44. My question is a) Do I have to get another swither installed just to initialize the 921 (kind of stupid if that is how it works); b) is there some other procedure to make the unit recognize the DPP44; c) maybe it is just a simple defect unit.

Any experts input are greatly apreciated.

BTW, I did call the Dish with hoping someone might know something. I was wrong again (shame on me!). Here is the answer from Dish: "...... What do you have installed? DPP44, that is not our product and we do not support it. You have to contact your installer (which is myself) to order the proper switcher from Dish......" All I can say at that point is "THANK YOU!".

I assume since you said 2 feeds that you are not using the separator. The 921 will definitely not work with the separator until the software update occurs. I do not know if there are other issues with the DPP44 until the software update happens (I had the 921 on a SW64 before I upgraded to DPP44).

If you are desperate I guess you could run 2 lines from the 119 LNB to the 921 and have it do its software update. Or if you have the DP34 still lying around from the SuperDISH install you could just hook it up, do the download, then switch back to the DPP44.

It is quite possible that prior to the last software update the 921 did not recognise the DPP44.

hzhao said:
Just got my second 921. But had trouble to get the switch matrix. Here is what happened:

To simplify the process, I put the new 921 at the exsiting 921 location and knowing the signal (two feeds) are all well. I have the DPP44 and superdish 121, plus the 61.5. After run the check switch, it indicats no switch is found, check the signal stength, input 1 is fine, but no signal on 2, if I disconnect 2, then re-connect again, signal became fine. But after ran the check, 2 will lose signal again. I was wondering if 921 out of box does not compatible with DPP44 switcher. I did remember that only recent software update will support DPP44. My question is a) Do I have to get another swither installed just to initialize the 921 (kind of stupid if that is how it works); b) is there some other procedure to make the unit recognize the DPP44; c) maybe it is just a simple defect unit.

Any experts input are greatly apreciated.

BTW, I did call the Dish with hoping someone might know something. I was wrong again (shame on me!). Here is the answer from Dish: "...... What do you have installed? DPP44, that is not our product and we do not support it. You have to contact your installer (which is myself) to order the proper switcher from Dish......" All I can say at that point is "THANK YOU!".
Just one very important point, Be very sure that you are properly aimed at the correct satellites and that you have a locked signal. Check your connectors for faults, fix any faults, and then do a check switch.

I know signal is OK since I just "replace" the exsiting 921 which is working. I am going to hook up the DP34 to try again. Thanks for all the help here. I assume I only need take 119 to DP34 to do the download, right?

Mike is correct - the 921 did not support the DPP44 until L186 (maybe it was 185).

You don't say what kind of LNBFs you have, but your best bet is to bypass ALL external switches if possible. I'm not sure if 119 is where the software lives or not.

You will probably want to clear/reset the 921's switch matrix before continuing. Disconenct all sat feeds, run Check Switch, pull power plug, run Check Switch again, plug in 2 identical feeds, run Check Switch for (hopefully) the last time.

Thanks. I will do. I think that I can take the 119 & 110 feeds (both Dish Plus LNBs) to DP34 and connect to it to do the download and upgrade. I was wondering what would happen if other customer that don't have another switcher, how Dish is going to handle that........ Well, after all, we are in dealing with Dish, those kind of "surprise" are the feature we getting being Dish customer :)

I will post the result here for future reference to everyone.

I don't have the 921 manual with me but I think it said something about hooking up the 921 directly to the 119/110 dish without switches first in order to take the download then add the switch and run checkswitch. I may be wrong but this would explain your problem.

sjm992: Thank you for confirming my last post. :)

hzhao: And that's how you avoid the switch - take the 2 outputs of the Dish 500's DP Twin or DP Quad and jump them directly to the 921. If you've got a pair of DP Duals on your 500 (rare), you have to pick whether you want to try 110 or 119. Still looking for the answer on which core bird should be used to find the 921's software. If you some reason you've got a Dish 500 with a pair of DP singles, it gets a little complex.

Final result........

Well, all you experts here are correct, no support for DPP44 right out of box. SInce it is too difficult for me to connect direct from LNBs since I have SuperDish 121 and Single on 61.5, I decided to take the DP34 route (luckly, I have not send my DP34 in as the trade-in for my DPP44). It worked right way, after software upgrade, I put back on DPP44 and ran check switch again, everything went fine. Based on that experience, I decided to keep a DP34 on hand in case of event that I need to replace receiver that need for initialization again.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)