Need help with poor reception with 18" dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

victorb3

Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Hudson Valley, NY
This is my second post this week. I have started to have a problem with poor signal strength with my DirecTv setup. It started about 2-3 weeks ago. I had originally thought it was a tree branch problem so I cut down all of the closest culprits and I thought it got a little better but it soon got worse again. So I next thought it was the LNB as this had failed me once before. I looked at the LNB before replacing it and it did not look too bad but i replaced it anyways (after killing the bees nest forming in the mounting tubing). Well replacing the LNB with a new one made no difference.

I next went to check the cable connections at the multi-switch and that looked OK. I did another transponder test and it was much worse so I figured it must be something with the multiswitch I was just touching. I had to wait awhile before I could do anything and in that time the results returned to the previously poor reception. I decided to try by-passing the multiswitch anyways and there was no improvement.

So now I am now stuck on what to do next. While up on the roof I did an eyeball check and the line of sight for the dish seems unobstructed but there are some more trees that are nearby that I will still try to take down (mostly because I do not like them anyways :)). These trees have not grown that much this spring and I highly doubt they have caused this problem. So my only other guess at this point is general alignment of the dish.

Here is a summary of what I have in terms of equipment and what I tried so far.

18" dish
- roof mounted
- newly installed DirecTv 18LNBR0-02 lnb

Terk 5x8 Multiswitch
- This has been by-passed. Now using barrel connectors to go directly to 2 recievers

Receiver 1 - Standard Philips DSX5353R provided by DirecTv
Receiver 2 - Sony Sat-A65

I have trimmed branches, replaced LNB, by-passed multiswitch but still get transponder results that vary at different times through out the day, Here are the current results from Xponder test from my Sony receiver:

Satellite 101 (A) :
01-08: 00 00 00 67 00 35 00 00
09-16: 00 00 00 66 00 36 34 37
17-24: 00 72 34 58 36 39 39 36
25-32: 39 37 40 00 45 39 41 37

These results are sometimes better with fewer zeros and some higher signal strengths across all. Other times these results can be much worse with mostly zeros.

Before this problem started happening I use to get consistent 90-100 for all transponders tests.

Last edited:
I would start looking to see where your coax runs, replace all connections and check to see if it has been chewed or getting wet anywhere.

Sounds like it time to upgrade out of the 1990's. Those receivers are dinosaurs, so is the dish. This may be the perfect time to talk to the retention dept and get a free HD upgrade, with a SWM slimline dish. The installer/new equipment would fix your signal problems. I'm guessing you have been with D* for a long time.

Thanks. Yes, I have been with DTV for about 9 years. I am considering to upgrade even though I currently have no HD TV's. Eventually I will get one. I assume that I could still use my existing receivers with my Standard TV's with the new slimline dish.

In the meantime I will inspect the cables as I assume it will take time for a new dish to get installed even if I ordered today.

Just 1 question: Will they need to replace the 2 home run cables that are currently coming off the dish into my existing switch in the basement? Will there be 4 cables (or more) now from the dish?

Thanks. Yes, I have been with DTV for about 9 years. I am considering to upgrade even though I currently have no HD TV's. Eventually I will get one. I assume that I could still use my existing receivers with my Standard TV's with the new slimline dish.

In the meantime I will inspect the cables as I assume it will take time for a new dish to get installed even if I ordered today.

Just 1 question: Will they need to replace the 2 home run cables that are currently coming off the dish into my existing switch in the basement? Will there be 4 cables (or more) now from the dish?

I would think that they would replace the 4 line cable from the dish to the Ground Block, if it's a regular Slimline dish, or you'll have 1 line from the new dish that goes to a central location and your recvrs will connect there. (SWM Slimline).

You won't need more than 4 lines from the dish to the block.

Hey Guys
I got a question. We have a 1.2+ satelite with motor. We use it for international channels. We are thinking of purchasing a satellite legal receiver from portugal (since we also have a house there) and bringing it here to Kingston, Ontario, Canada. With this large satellite would we be able to get the signal from Hispasat 1C to be able to catch the legal signal and portuguese tv? 30W signal

Here is what I would suggest.
Even if you are not ready to buy an HDTV (they are so inexpensive now and can be had slightly used for a couple $100....what are you waiting for this isn't 1995 anymore?) call D* and tell them you are ready to upgrade to HD. You could get a new HD DVR and HD receiver, along with a new SWM slimline for real little money. It might even be free if you know how to play. This is the time to do it. If you only get a slimline from them now and then want to upgrade to HD next year, its going be harder to make it happen in 2 parts, because the CSR will look on your account and say "he just got a free upgrade last year". Process the entire upgrade in one transaction. All future receivers will require SWM systems (the H25 doesn't even work on a non-SWM system), so its a good time to upgrade now.

Keep in mind that you can hook up HD receivers to SDTV's. They will down-rezz the picture, but it will get the HD-only channels and then you will be ready for a new TV.

Stick your current TV's up for sale on craigslist and then go shopping on craigslist and pick up two newer HDTV's. I got a 6 month old 37" Vizio LCD last year for $250 on CL. Not a single scratch or dead pixel. Guy was moving out of state and wanted it gone. It cost $795 just 6 months earlier. Don't keep your analog TV's for anything other then a guest bedroom that you never use. They will only cost you money to throw away when they break. Get rid of them now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts