Need help with wing dish install

mikeinaustin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
My current setup is a dish 1000 feeding a dpp44. i just installed a dish 500 to get my locals at 61.5. the dish 500 has dual lnbs (dish pro plus) and a y-bracket.

i pointed the dish 500 to 118 with skew of 90 and an elevation of 37d. i attached my cable from the 110 lnb directly to satellite port 4 of my dpp44.

i have played with tweaking my azimuth left and right and it makes no difference.

when i run check switch, input 1 says satellite 4 "Conn" but Trans has an X. For input 2, satellite 4 input has an x for both it and trans.

can any of you provide some debugging steps for me? should i have attached my coax to port 119 instead of 110 of the dish 500? should i swap the dual lnbs from my dish 1000 to my dish 500 to verify if i have an lnb issue?

please help!

Have you gotten a signal on 61.5 yet? If not, the check switch will not read it. Try running a line from 61.5 direct to a receiver and get it pointed (you may have to clear the matrix first). Once you get the signal strength to a high enough level, then hook up the switch with all the inputs and rerun the check switch.

Have you gotten a signal on 61.5 yet? If not, the check switch will not read it. Try running a line from 61.5 direct to a receiver and get it pointed (you may have to clear the matrix first). Once you get the signal strength to a high enough level, then hook up the switch with all the inputs and rerun the check switch.

i just went through all the transponders, basically nothing on any of them, except for 10 and 12. there i get a decent signal coming from 119 with the "wrong sat" message.

You need to replace the twin with one DishPro dual lnb.
FYI in case you did not understand..You are trying to use a "twin" in the dish 500 not a "dual" The twin is trying to check switch thru the dp44 which is also checking switch. The advice given was to use a "dual" which is a single eye lnb. you can use a dual with 2 output connectors or a single with one connector. The main thing is that you are using a single lense lnb not a twin. Go to your install screen and select 61.5 with your zip code and get your azimuth & elevation. Put the skew of the 500 dish on 90 (straight up) mount the single lnb in either side of the yoke and point the dish exactly on the compass azimuth given with correct elevation. If your mast was plumb you should be very close. use a meter or bypass the dp44 and cable direct from the receiver to the lnb and use install screen on 61.5 and on correct tuner (if dual tuner). You may already know this or have figured it out but if not hope this helps.

Also use only a Dish Pro single (DP), not an old legacy which are kicking around by the hundreds.

Last edited:
i purchased a DP dual LNB and an i bracket. when i run check switch port four shows a dual lnb is attached. i used sitsig to get the azimuth from my house, it reports a magnetic azimuth of 121.34 (which is fairly close to the 118 i was using). skew of my dish 500 is 90. i have the dp dual lnb directly attached to my dish 721 receiver (ie i bypassed by dpp44 switch).

i still get zero signal strength with i use the point dish utility on my 721 selecting dish 300 as my dish and 61.5 as the satellite. i have attempted multiple transponders.

i state 118 is close to the 121.34 because i scan the sky with it in that area and i never get any signal.

i suppose its possible i have a dead (brand new) dual lnb and i suppose it is possible my rg6 cable is dead as well (also new). but if those two things are not true, what am i doing wrong????

Set your skew to zero. Not needed when using an I bracket. Look up the az/el for 61.5 on a dish 300 and use that as a starting point. Easiest thing is to get a TV right at the dish and watch the 61.5 point dish screen as you sweep the dish carefully. Pick a CONUS transponder like 18 or 20 (IIRC). I usually will start about a degree low on elevation, sweep one way, increase a half degree, sweep the other, etc. Remember that an 1/8" is a big move.

Good Luck, Eric

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts