Need install advice: run/bury cable or get 2nd dish?

jwinslow

Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
I live on a horse farm. My landlord has HD service from dish installed across the driveway (30 yards or so?).

I wish to leapfrog on the existing HD dish/service and run it to the house. I'm assuming we would only have to pay for receivers/dvrs in the house. The entire farm is owned by the landlord, so this is all one owner & account.

I am interested in adding Dish service to our house. Should I:

a) Have Dish run 30-40 yards of cable and bury it? Any idea how much this costs?

b) Have them install a second dish? How much does that cost?

c) The above two are prohibitively expensive, and I'd save money for 1-2 years of service by just getting my own dish service & account?

If you call dish and tell them your situation they are going to want you to have your own account. I would probably buy and install the second dish myself and have your landlord call and order whatever HD box you want under his account. I hope this doesn't get me in trouble for saying this here but its probably your only option unless you set up your own account.

If you set up your own account, it will cost nothing. However, I believe you would have to pay a $50 activation fee to waive the 18 month commitment which I have a feeling you would want to do. Call Dishstore and they will help you figure it out.

Ok this is what you can do wich would be legal and not against the rules.

The landlord can call and have a second receiver added to the account with it going into the farm hand house that your living in because it is his building on his property and dish cant say anything against it. To make things easy it would be best for you to go to the hardware store such as lowes or home depot and buy a box of burial rg - 6 coax in the 1000ft length and bury the coax from where the dish is at to the farm hand house your in. The coax only has to go down a couple inches though with the drive way you'll want to bury it probably 10 inches down and in pvc conduit to protect it from the weight of vehicles. If there is a switch built into the dish system at your landlords place then thats where the start of the cable should be and the other end should end on the outside wall of your rental building, it would be a good idea to run two lengths of cable to the building both for a back up and just incase its needed for the box that your going to have in your place.

Have the landlord include the price of the additional receiver fee and increase in programming for that box into your monthly rent and everything will be fine. The landlord will most likely have to sign a contract for the receiver to be added on so you might want to consider buying wich ever hd box you want from dishstore.net ( Claude will take care of you ) and avoide the contract for your landlord and just have him put it on his account.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)