Status
Not open for further replies.

bhelms

Retired & lovin' it!
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 26, 2006
Central PA
Howdy! My '05 Subie Outback has about 35K on it now and the factory Protenzas are about shot. :mad: Same result with my previous Subie 20 years ago - the factory Bridgestones just don't last. On top of that, the current ones are lousy in snow, as I discovered 2 weekends ago! I thought that was just due to the low tread but others declared the Protenzas lousy in snow traction as well without my asking...!

I need size P225/55R17. I'm leaning toward the Goodyear Assurance ComforTreds that have an 80K treadlife warranty. The Michelin Hydroedge is also attractive. Any other suggestions? Do you have specific experience with my car type? Where is the best place to buy?

I am a fairly conservative driver so aspects like "best grab in high-speed cornering" are not high on my priority list. I'm more concerned about good/best all weather traction and decent/best treadlife. I won't say money is no object, but price is not as high a priority on my list either. This is certainly one area where I won't scrimp...!

Tks in advance and BRgds...

The Tire Rack was rated #1 for best tire reviews, ino, etc. I used them to get these for your scenario. ... It appears you may already have done all your needed homework LOL! You did not state your body style so I used the 2005 Subaru Outback 3.0R Sedan.

All-Season
Goodyear Assurance ComforTred (All-Season)
Size: 225/55HR17
Serv. Desc: 95H
UTQG: 700 A B

Winter Specific
1. Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 (Studless Ice & Snow)
Size: 225/55QR17
Serv. Desc: 97Q

2. Dunlop Graspic DS-2 (Studless Ice & Snow)
Size: 225/55QR17
Serv. Desc: 97Q

Great, charper - Tks for the feedback! As I mentioned, the Assurance ComforTreds are currently my first choice, and I'll certainly check-out the Dunlops as well. Have you had any experience with either? Think I'll pass on any more Bridgestones based on my 2x poor treadlife luck with them.

It's the Outback 2.5XT, btw. Goodyear also lists it as the LTD. I guess that's what I have, with the upgraded package. I do not have the 3.0 (6 cylinder version), but apparently that style has the same tire size as mine, per your listing.

Tks again...

Kelley brand tires are a good brand that I have both used, sold, and installed when I used to work for a tire chain back in michigan years ago. The navigator line is a good all weather tire that handles snow/mud/rain well and gets good mileage wear though I dont remember if they come in that particular size. The Charger line is also an all weather tire but more on the sporty side and does come in your size, its not as well balanced as the navigator but it does hold up well.

My only recommendation is to avoid Firestone/Bridgestone. They are the same company now, and I believe they are manufactured in the same plant. My father had bad experience with Firestones, and they do seem to get recalled a lot.

van - Tks, I'll check for Kelly. There once was a local shop that sold those - Tire Town, IIRC - but I don't recall any recent advertising.

navychop - LOL, yes I remember all-too-well the old 721s on my Vega. Talk about a combination that really put the screws to you. Then there was the more recent debacle with the Explorers. Yes, Bridgestone owns Firestone now, but I bet they have plants all over the world, probably including China...!

Vega, huh? Did the engine decide it needed aspiration and send a rod thru the block? A buddy of mine blew his aluminum block "engine of the future."

Tire Rack is definitely a great site for info & can save you a bunch of money. Delivery is surprisingly quick as well in my experience. Here in Texas and quite a few other states, Discount Tire is excellent, but they don't appear to have any stores in PA.

As for brands, Yokohama has been very good to me, especially in terms of durability and value. Good Year... not so much.

Vega, huh? Did the engine decide it needed aspiration and send a rod thru the block? A buddy of mine blew his aluminum block "engine of the future."
Not quite. I had the '74 version that used the "glass lined" cylinder walls. At about 35K only one cylinder had more than 100 lbs compression. What a dog! Severe rust problems as well. I couldn't cheer loud enough when someone actually paid me about $700 cash for it several years later...

Tire Rack is definitely a great site for info & can save you a bunch of money. Delivery is surprisingly quick as well in my experience. Here in Texas and quite a few other states, Discount Tire is excellent, but they don't appear to have any stores in PA.

As for brands, Yokohama has been very good to me, especially in terms of durability and value. Good Year... not so much.
Tks, craka. I have heard of Yokohama but no experience. I'll check them out.

My Goodyear experience has been limited to my pick-up and SUVs that are hard on tires in several ways, but I still manage to average about 60K on the Wrangler RT/Ss. Maybe others would have done better...

Great, charper - Tks for the feedback! As I mentioned, the Assurance ComforTreds are currently my first choice, and I'll certainly check-out the Dunlops as well. Have you had any experience with either? Tks again...

No sir. I have a WS6 that uses a somewhat very specific tire and a full-size SUV that also has no comparison to your make & models. Sorry. I too buy at Discount Tire here in AZ but do research at The Tire Rack to back up my other research.

No sir. I have a WS6 that uses a somewhat very specific tire and a full-size SUV that also has no comparison to your make & models. Sorry. I too buy at Discount Tire here in AZ but do research at The Tire Rack to back up my other research.

What size tire does your WS6 use? I have a 1999 Firebird that has 235/55 - 16 and I need some new tires but I was thinking of getting the blue chrome rims that were on the Anniversary series Trans AM.

Not much of a tire expert here, but a couple tire experiences to share. First, I had a friend with the Yokamamas :) . They seemed kinda more along the lines of money saving tires, as in lower line tires. He changed them within a couple years, but i never asked why, but the Yokahamas seemed fine when i saw them last.
I have an uncle that bought a new SUV last year (maybe two? times starting to slip) and it came with Goodyears. He noticed the mirrors had a wicked shimmy due to the rough ride. I guess it was more fault of the suv's design, but he switched to Michellin's and said the ride was extremely smooth. My older suburban came with some fairy new Michellin's and my dad always commented how smooth a ride it was. I'm not familier with the subnames for these brands or anything about snow traction. Darn Houston and its lack of snow. :) Im wondering if good snow traction tires is the same as mud slinging tires? You know, the road rapers? Those are noisy! Is the same type of tire that gets good snow traction?

TireRack.com definitely has excellent reviews and service. Prices are good too.

Ordered 4 winter tires mounted and balanced on wheels on Tuesday morning and they were delivered to my house the next day.

Tks again guys - more stuff to consider. By the time I make my decision we will hopefully be void of snow for the duration, but then again we have had some wicked "nor'easters" blanket this region in March, like in '93...!

Probably the best mud and snow tires, wide and "knobby" I believe, make the worst tires for most other purposes. The "M+S" or equivalent compromise (if available) is the closest I will consider. Those Protenzas, supposedly an all-weather variation, I have now are awful in the snow. I expect better from my Subie and I truly believe the tires are the weak link, in fairness, probably due in some significant part to the amount of wear. I can't comment on mud - I try to stay out of that...!

I've had Goodyear Assurance Comforttreads on my 2000 Dodge Stratus for a couple of years and I have been very happy with them. Previously I had Bridgestone TA 70's, and they were a disappointment. (Seemed to damage easily and treadwear was not as promised.) I also checked the reviews on "Tire Rack" before choosing the Goodyears. I bought them from a local tire dealer, who also did an alignment on the car when the new tires were installed. Going to a local dealer cost a little more than Sams Club, but the service was much better.

Bingo, Lifterguy! That's the kind of reply I'm looking for - first hand experience with and comparison of two brands in discussion! Tks! I was also raised in the 'Burgh so I have some idea of the type of driving you do - certainly helps explain the tire damage (my condolences!). Have the city or county found any more money for road repair?

I think when replacing tires, especially for the money we're talking (and also if you're driving in Pgh!) the alignment is essential. In my case it will be a 4-wheel alignment, so I'm figuring on an extra $100 for this upcoming change.

Thanks again everyone for all your suggestions and comments, and keep them coming...!

...switched to Michellin's and said the ride was extremely smooth. My older suburban came with some fairy new Michellin's and my dad always commented how smooth a ride it was...

I have always had good luck with Michelins. The smooth ride? Soft sidewalls. They can be damaged easily so they really are a road only tire. The last two sets of tires I bought (thanks Tire Rack!) were BF Goodrich Traction T/As. They have a firm sidewall for better sport handling but the tread wears a lot quicker.

Not much of a tire expert here, but a couple tire experiences to share. First, I had a friend with the Yokamamas :) . They seemed kinda more along the lines of money saving tires, as in lower line tires. He changed them within a couple years, but i never asked why, but the Yokahamas seemed fine when i saw them last.
I have an uncle that bought a new SUV last year (maybe two? times starting to slip) and it came with Goodyears. He noticed the mirrors had a wicked shimmy due to the rough ride. I guess it was more fault of the suv's design, but he switched to Michellin's and said the ride was extremely smooth. My older suburban came with some fairy new Michellin's and my dad always commented how smooth a ride it was. I'm not familier with the subnames for these brands or anything about snow traction. Darn Houston and its lack of snow. :) Im wondering if good snow traction tires is the same as mud slinging tires? You know, the road rapers? Those are noisy! Is the same type of tire that gets good snow traction?
My own research and experience is that big knobby tires marked M+S are extraordinarily poor snow tires. They are particularly bad on ice, and horrible on wet pavement. Plus they stink on dry pavement. I try to stay out of the mud, and am much more concerned about rain and snow. I've had a set of Michelin Cross Terrain SUV's on both a F150 and a Chevy Silverado, and they are great, as long as you put some weight in the truck bed in snow.

Like a number of othes, I have done a lot of my research at TireRack. My suggestion if you do is to make sure you are comparing the same size on the same type or if possible the same make of car. I have a 2006 Ford Fusion SEL that comes standard with Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires in size 225/50VR17. I have about 25,000 miles on them so far, and have been very impressed with them so far, in everything from snow to rain to dry pavement. But others, with different vehicles, have hated them. They aren't cheap, TireRack has them for $143 a pop right now, which is a deal compared to what they normally run.

I have never bought a set of Firestones, except when I bought a couple of vehicles with them already on. I got them off as soon as I could. Back in the 70's I had a Firestone engineer share with me that they were having a huge problem getting the rubber to meld with the steel belts on their radial tires, a few years before the 721 fiasco hit the news. I have not seen anything to change my opinion since then. With the exception of one set of Goodyears I currently have Michelins on a total of 4 out of 5 vehicles. I get most of my tires at Sears. Sears is almost everywhere, and if I have a problem the tires are in their computer and warranty work is taken care of with no hassle. Their prices are generally good, especially if I watch for the right tire to be on sale. If you don't travel out of your home area that might not be an issue, but it is for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)