need recommendations for everything

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

TrishLLC

Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
Hi all,
We are going to switch from Adelphia Cable (AAARRRGGGHHH!, there is a reason this company is going bankrupt!) to DirectTV. We would like to have it set up in 4 rooms including one or two Tivo's. We know nothing about receivers, dishes, etc. We would like to get the right equipment, minimize hassles and not get screwed :) . Any advice on the following would be greatly appreciated!
1) which receivers (brand, models) to get and why
2) what satellite (standard, triple?)
3) which tivo model and why
4) where to get it (store, online, direct from direct tv) and why
5) installation pitfalls to look out for (e.g. we currently have cable to all the rooms, but don't have a phone line near any of the TV's, should we have the installer put one in or get a wireless phone jack)
6) we have cable internet, can anyone tell me about satellite internet?
Thanks all!
Trish

I'll let others speak for 1-4, but for 5 - you don't have to have them hooked up to a phone line at all. You can order movies and packages online since you do have Internet service. For 6 - the upfront DirecWay costs are in the hundreds of dollars and you are kept under a quota of transmitted traffic. As much as I hate Comcast, I have cable Internet service through them and it's actually a much better product than their TV service, analog or digital.

I would suggest that you visit the DirecTV DVR forum here and the TiVo Community DirecTV forum http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=7 .

For 1-4, I would go with buying directly from DirecTV. This way you shouldn't have to worry about the details. All standard DirecTV DVRs are the same in function. The only difference is in hard drive size. You will most likely get the triple LNB Phase III oval dish.

Before the installation, do some homework. Find a common/central location where all cables from the dish will be run. From there you distribute to the receivers. This is where the added multiswitch would be located if needed. Which if you have more than four tuners (DVR have two) you will need one. Get an idea of where the dish should be located. Go to this site http://www.rca.com/directv/zip_code_selection to determine your dish alignment parameters.

Satellite internet is a solution, but it is slower than cable or DSL and if you plan to play games, forget it. The latencies and long ping times will kill you. It also isn't that cheap. Can you get DSL at your location?

First, you need to tell us WHERE your at, (at least your city/state) so that we can tell you which satellite your locals are on. (or if you even have them available) Some markets require the oval dish, while others (like mine) require a 2nd dish - that's why we need to know your loc)

There's only 1 kind of standard receiver currently made, the D10.

There's only 1 kind of standard D-Tivo currently made, the R10.

If you are installing more than 2 D-Tivo's, you'll need a multiswitch, even with the oval dish - but the installer/install co. should provide this as part of your installation.

I assume that you are NOT looking for anything HD, so I won't bring that up.

While you don't normally need a phone line for any of the D* receivers, you do need it on the initial setup of the D-Tivo receiver. You could just as easily temporarily run on into it for the initial setup & to get your software upgraded to the most current level. Once that is done, you can then get by without it. (you will get a nag message, but everything else will work ok othewise) You can order PPV online as EJ said above & the nice thing about that is, that it is authorized to ALL your receivers at once.

Forget about satellite internet, if you have cable modem or DSL available. (I'd keep the cable modem, though, site unseen)

okay, I think sometimes, simplicity is best, especially in sat.

#1 I would think they only have directv brands out now, but best buy and places like that still have the samsung hughes and things of that nature, I would get the directv brand.
#2 triple lnb, invests in case you want to put a hd system in your house later, or you could just wait as I beliebe Directv will be upgrading the dishes here soon, I invested in the triple lnb as directv gave it to me for free when I signed up, that way when I bought a hd reciever all I did was plug into the wall!
#3 I love my r10, and I think this is the only one you will get when you order through directv
#4, I would order through directv, or you could see what www.valueelectronics have as I have heard they give discounts to memebers of this forum, plus they are a sponsor
#5, remember directv dosent do installs, install companies do, dont get mad when they dont show,and yell at directv, just a simple phone call will do, plus you willg et some credits and such, thats only if you have a missed install date, I am not saying that you will, but it does happen!
#6, all you need to know:dont get it, I still have a rg6 run of cable to get internet, only one run, and then broadcast it wirelessy throughout the house, or you could always look into dsl!
hope this helps

and welcome to satguys, you will like it here! :D

Thanks guys,
I'm in Los Angeles, CA and we live on a ridge top, so I don't think I will have a problem there. But we live in an area that gets foggy - is that a problem for reception and can anything be done about it?

The direct tv website lists a 35 hour tivo, but no model number, is that the R10?

You guys convinced me to stay with cable or go to DSL for internet.

I suppose I should contact Direct TV and find out if there are standard charges for extra wiring or whatever so I'll know if I'm being taken advantage of when (if?) the installer comes :)

Thanks folks! keep posting if you think of anything else I should know!

TrishLLC said:
Thanks guys,
I'm in Los Angeles, CA and we live on a ridge top, so I don't think I will have a problem there. But we live in an area that gets foggy - is that a problem for reception and can anything be done about it?
Sat TV is only interrupted by the worst of storms, if very little intereference causes any change at all to your reception its likely a dish alignment issue. I talked to people who never lost service during the hat trick hurricane season they went through.

The direct tv website lists a 35 hour tivo, but no model number, is that the R10?
When you are installed, you'll get whatever the installer bring out (assuming you go through D*). There are still some 35 hour DVRs in circulation, so thats why that hasn't been updated. Given your area you'll almost certainly get a 70hour unit (the R10 is only 70 hours, there are others like the Samsung SIR-S4080 that I had installed via DirecTV last weekend that are being sent out too). The 35 hour listing still on the site is just a CYA thing.

You guys convinced me to stay with cable or go to DSL for internet.
Good, thats the best choice by far :)

I suppose I should contact Direct TV and find out if there are standard charges for extra wiring or whatever so I'll know if I'm being taken advantage of when (if?) the installer comes :)
DirecTV probably cannot give you an estimate on custom work, as it is done individually by the techs when they come out. They can use your existing cabling for the install though, just make sure they dont completely butcher it if you wish to have a Cable modem, or you'll be paying for an install from them too.

OK, since you live in the LA market, all of your locals are on the single 18". Unless you live in a market where an oval dish is needed for locals, or unless you are getting HD or Spanish/Chineese prog, most of the time they will NOT give you the oval dish for free. (you might have to pay a small extra charge to get it) It is nice to be somewhat futureproofed for HD, in case you make the jump. (but keep in mind D* is going to be going through more changes w/HD, so the oval dish may end up changing in a couple years, particulary in your market since LA is going to be one of the first 12 to get HD locals)

TrishLLC said:

After calling DirecTV, call valuelectronics (or, faster, send a PM to DTV Tivo Dealer) to see if Robert can match DirecTV's offer. Satelliteguys members get 10% discount.

Whoever you order, ask carefully about installation. Normally, only basic installation is free. But if you negotiate well enough, you can get non-basic free as well.

I think I would go with valuee after thinking about it,
reason #1, you know what your getting, they are not going ot send you out any shot in the dark box like directv
#2, they have good prices for us memebers
#3and this is off topic, I have never ever lost sat. service (well once when I was e*, actually make that twice with them) but never with directv, and I have been through the blizzard (northeast ohio 14 inches) in a day but good luck!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts