need some help on something with my hopper with sling

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
we just had six inches of snow here in our town and the problem is when i watch a HD channel it automaticlaly switches to the SD channel why does it do that.any one from DIRT is working tonight so i can talk to? any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Allen bluegras Culver
illinois

we just had six inches of snow here in our town and the problem is when i watch a HD channel it automaticlaly switches to the SD channel why does it do that.any one from DIRT is working tonight so i can talk to? any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Allen bluegras Culver
illinois

The SD channels are usually stronger. You probably have some snow on your dish that's decreasing your HD signal. Can you reach your dish to clean it off?

Is there a bunch of snow on the Dish? I live in the western suburbs of Chicago, and we received about 11 inches of snow. It is a real wet snow, so the snow got caught on the Dish. My signal was about 15 on the various channels, so my HD channels switched to SD as well. Once I took a broom to wipe all the wet snow that was caught on the Dish, the signal was back up to where it should be.

Is there a bunch of snow on the Dish? I live in the western suburbs of Chicago, and we received about 11 inches of snow. It is a real wet snow, so the snow got caught on the Dish. My signal was about 15 on the various channels, so my HD channels switched to SD as well. Once I took a broom to wipe all the wet snow that was caught on the Dish, the signal was back up to where it should be.
so u guys think that what is going on i did not know.

The SD channels are usually stronger. You probably have some snow on your dish that's decreasing your HD signal. Can you reach your dish to clean it off?
i have to get a ladder and get on top of the roof tommorow to fix it.

By tomorrow it might be melted off and should be working fine. Tonight you should watch SD, DVR'd recordings and OnDemand. Stay safe. :)
i will my friend i did not know what is going on this is our first snowfall this season so i am hoping that it will be melted off tommorow.i will waitch netlfix tonight you know that jessica jones is real good i should say.

Reactions: JSheridan
I had to do the same today, wet snow. Fortunately, I can do it from the ground with an extension pole/broom.

I had to do the same today, wet snow. Fortunately, I can do it from the ground with an extension pole/broom.
if the sun does not melt then me and my stepdad has to do it i was wondering what is going i thought sometime was wrong with my hopper with sling dvr.

Same here. Have to wait til tomorrow. Hopefully it melts or slides off before then.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

I don't understand why the HD goes out before the SD?

It's not like Directv's KU vs KA.

DISH is all KU HD and SD.

What's the reason the HD channels have a weaker signal?

Allen, many users here have stated that they use a "super soaker" type water gun filled with hot water to clear their dishes. If you have one you might use that first before breaking out the ladder in the snow.

Hope you get it cleared off.

Allen, many users here have stated that they use a "super soaker" type water gun filled with hot water to clear their dishes. If you have one you might use that first before breaking out the ladder in the snow.

Hope you get it cleared off.
me too i did not anything about those supersoakers i will try that i idea out instead of putting the ladder up/

I have my dish on the ground level on a pole ,easy accessible for me to do anything I need to . But I live down here in southeast Texas and we rarely suffer any ice or snow. Heavy Rain on the other hand can still be a factor. Lost it today for around 10 minutes when it was raining cats and dogs.

I don't understand why the HD goes out before the SD?

It's not like Directv's KU vs KA.

DISH is all KU HD and SD.

What's the reason the HD channels have a weaker signal?
It is the angle through the atmosphere that the signal from 129 has to pass. It is pretty low to the horizon and therefore the signals have to pass through much more water vapor that disrupts those signals. The 110 and 119 sats have a higher angle relative to 129 and lose far less signal due to water vapor. I am not an expert on this, but that is the simple explanation of it.

Reactions: charlesrshell
It is the angle through the atmosphere that the signal from 129 has to pass. It is pretty low to the horizon and therefore the signals have to pass through much more water vapor that disrupts those signals. The 110 and 119 sats have a higher angle relative to 129 and lose far less signal due to water vapor. I am not an expert on this, but that is the simple explanation of it.
Well that would be a great answer if I was actually using the 129.

But in my location I'm using the 61.5 and 72.7 and the angle is 40 degrees.
But considering mine does the same in bad weather with eastern arc I have a feeling this isn't the correct answer.

Doesn't dish also have HD on the 110? That would also throw out that theory.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)