Need some OTA help

dennisinsc

SatelliteGuys Family
May 2, 2007
Upstate SC
Setup is WA 110/119/129 on pole 100+ feet from house, as we are surrounded by 80-90' oak trees. OTA antenna mounted on same pole. Can't get EA without moving further away from house.

OTA split at pole to supply a 622 in house and a 211K in gazebo, using diplexers on both runs. Until recently we were getting high 80's to low 90's signal on OTA, now we get high 60's to low 80's, with fluctuations as much as 12 to 15 percent within seconds.

Have checked antenna orientation - OK according to TVfool. Replaced transformer - no change. Cleaned all connections - no change. Eliminated the OTA splitter - no change. Other than run a new dedicated OTA cable to house (ain't gonna happen, too many obstruction, like flower beds, walkways and deck), I'm stumped.

This set up has worked for three years with no problems. The antenna is aimed directly at a 80' oak that is 200' away. Would it have this kind of effect after three years?

I'm lookin for creative solutions from the satellite guys brain trust.

I know you said the antenna is point the right way but did you try making any adjustments to see if signal would change?

Satellite guys does have an OTA forum that this could be moved to. How long have the diplexers been exposed to the weather, good place for corrosion to form? Did your low signal level start when the leaves started filling in? How high above ground is the TV antenna, do you know what model it is?

You've eliminated the OTA splitter and you get the same signal strength on both receivers?
Bypass the diplexers as well (yes, you'll lose satellite reception while you do this). What happens with the signal strength?
Have you physically looked at the coax connections? They will often get corroded out and the center conductor is just barely passing the signal.

Just a couple thoughts off the top of my head.

Antenna is about 12' off the ground. Model unknown purchased from Radio Shack, I think. Diplexers are about two years old. Stations we usually watch are 25-50 miles away. Problem has been on going for about six months, it just finally got my goat enough to start investigating. About four months ago put all the diplexers and splitter in bax out of the weather.

Haven't reconnected the 211 as don't have another splitter. Will try dropping the diplexers tomorrow. A cursory inspection didn't show any corrosion. Will take a closer look tomorrow. Will have to see if I have enough RG6 in the shop to bypass all the existing spaghetti.

It's buried the WHOLE WAY? From the pole to your house? I've been to a service call where the guys dish was on the other side of the woods so he could get line of sight. That cable was just laying on the ground, and after a quick inspection, I noticed squirrels or something had chewed through the cable. Also if there's even just a tiny nick in the cable, it could potentially work for years until it eventually rusts out enough to start seeing problems..

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)