Need to record from one channel dropped by Dish

One of your assumptions about the Bolt is not correct. Tivo is a whole home solution. For no ongoing costs you can buy a mini tivo which is similar to how a joey works. That mini can be in any room you want as long as there is internet access. In today's world that should be no problem with several low cost devices that brings a wifi signal to any room and then can be hooked up as an ethernet.
You would put the bolt where the antenna is and the mini wherever you want.

I have had TIVO along with DISH for years now to record/watch all the OTA stations.

As others have mentioned the least expensive would be to get the DISH OTA adaptor. You could then use Dish Anywhere to watch in any room, or a Joey. Though you still need to have the Hopper with the adaptor near the antenna/cable.
Thank you Tampa8. So, if the Bolt is with the antenna (and the small TV) and the mini Tivo is with the Hopper and the main TV, how does the miniTivo connect? To the TV, and if so via what kind of connection? Or does it show up as a streaming app, and if so will the Tivo remote (or the mini remote?) let the viewer select a recording, or even watch whatever the Tivo sees from the antenna?

I realize this is an expensive solution, I'm just wondering how it works.

Reactions: charlesrshell
With MOCA enabled on a TiVo receiver any and all TiVos in the house can be connected by the same cable that they receive either cable Tv or OTA signals, alternately they can all connect via wireless or ethernet.

With MOCA enabled on a TiVo receiver any and all TiVos in the house can be connected by the same cable that they receive either cable Tv or OTA signals, alternately they can all connect via wireless or ethernet.
Yes. I use wireless internet works flawlessly. Allows for ota channels in any room.

Thank you , Dish, for settling with Tegna and resolving my problem.

I had never heard of Tegna. I see that they are the media part of the split-up Gannett. That explains why Channel 11 is so resource-starved. I see that Tegna's goal is to acquire more stations...

I am closing this thread. Thank you to all of you. I learned a lot.

Wonder if the OTA adapter would work utilizing a HIC… and as such, would be able to be plugged in another room if absolutely necessary, although I cannot understand why it would be necessary.

Wonder if the OTA adapter would work utilizing a HIC… and as such, would be able to be plugged in another room if absolutely necessary, although I cannot understand why it would be necessary.
The HIC provides a Ethernet connection to the Hopper MoCA network, so I don't see a way USB data could be transferred that way. It is however possible to use Cat 5E/6 cabling as a USB extension provided you spliced male/female USB connectors on each end or bought adapters like these.

Thank you , Dish, for settling with Tegna and resolving my problem.

I had never heard of Tegna. I see that they are the media part of the split-up Gannett. That explains why Channel 11 is so resource-starved. I see that Tegna's goal is to acquire more stations...

I am closing this thread. Thank you to all of you. I learned a lot.
Just a reminder that you haven't closed it yet. There have been a couple posts since including this one.

The only way to close a thread is to ask a moderator to close the thread which disallows any further postings. I think what judyintexas was alluding to is that her issues no longer exist so the thread is moot to her...

There is a way, but a completely jerry-rigged-not-standard way to do this. Has worked for me for more then a year now, but don’t do this unless you know what you are doing (grounding the antenna for example, and able to troubleshoot if you get something wrong) or just plain nuts like me.

A little info before I explain: Dish’s implementation of MoCA is in the 675-850 MHz, satellite communication is 950-3000 MHz depending on the technology used, and UHF communications are 470-608 MHz (this range used to be higher, in the 700’s which would cause problems but a lot of that space was reallocated to 4g/5g). All three of these are on different frequencies, so running them on the same line is now possible.

You can’t use the original Dish diplexers (manufactured by Holland I believe?) since those block MoCA on the sat bypass ports, but you can use hybrid taps/hubs for diplexing purposes. Why? They allow 0-950 MHz on their client ports, and the satellite bypass ports are 0-3000. So if you connect a OTA antenna to a Solo Hub client port, this will act as a entry point for the OTA signals. Then at the Hopper location use a Tap and connect the OTA module to the client port on that. If you do not have a client port available on the Hub, you can also add another Tap to ‘inject’ the OTA channels at some point between the Hub and Hopper (but not between Hub and LNB, the hub does filtering for both MoCA and OTA on the LNB port).

Now, doing all this will work, but is brings about two problems. First, having a big-a$& antenna attached to your MoCA network means you are broadcasting MoCA signal to the neighbors, which may be a security/network performance issue (mostly the latter, I wouldn’t worry to much about someone randomly deciding to setup a MoCA sniffer or something but it’s still a possibility). Second, you are letting everything from the 0-950MHz range into the system with an antenna installed like this, which means ham radio, 4g/5g, OTA transmission, among a bunch of other unnecessary stuff that can cause interference. What you need to fix this is called a band pass filter, a device that filters some frequencies and let’s others through. Here is an example of one, and it’s the one I have installed as well VHF-UHF band-pass filter 174-216 + 470-700MHz special , it limits Ham and Pagers | eBay (I could not find one that ships from the US, but I have gotten them in the past so just use the eBay link for reference).
You had me at Jerry rigged / band pass filter! ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)