Need to replace VIP722. Have 2 EHDs full of programs

J

johnd393

Sep 1, 2007
The 211(no Z) is what's in service.
My 211z is a unsubscribed spare. I think I bought it on eBay
The Z was in use for about a day before I figured out I could repair the 211(noZ)
A EHD works on the 211, it just can not access a old EHD that was loaded with programs.
I don't have a Hopper

Bobby

Bobby

Publican
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Rohnert Park, CA
The 211(no Z) is what's in service.
My 211z is a unsubscribed spare. I think I bought it on eBay
The Z was in use for about a day before I figured out I could repair the 211(noZ)
A EHD works on the 211, it just can not access a old EHD that was loaded with programs.
I don't have a Hopper
You say an EHD works on the 211 but can't access an old EHD that is loaded with programs. What kind of receiver was that old EHD attached to? And, was the receiver that old EHD was attached to on the same account number as the existing 211?

Reactions: charlesrshell
J

johnd393

Sep 1, 2007
You say an EHD works on the 211 but can't access an old EHD that is loaded with programs. What kind of receiver was that old EHD attached to? And, was the receiver that old EHD was attached to on the same account number as the existing 211?
Recording on old EHD were made on the same 211 that is in use now. I've only ever had the same account.

Reactions: pattykay
Bobby

Bobby

Publican
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Rohnert Park, CA
Recording on old EHD were made on the same 211 that is in use now. I've only ever had the same account.
OK, was just checking. What you might try is this: unplug any EHD that you have in that 211. Next, unplug the 211 from power for 30 seconds. Plug it back in and let it boot up. After you have channels plug the old EHD into the USB port. What happens?

J

johnd393

Sep 1, 2007
The replacement VIP722 has shut down with a high temperature message 145 degrees. It was not even pushed back in the cabinet yet. It's sitting on a milk crate in front of the cabinet, with free air around it. It's come back to life with the cover off and a external fan blowing on it. Thought I would swap the fan out from the old unit.
Does anybody know if the internal fan is supposed to run continuously or does it only come on at higher temps?

HopperGenie

HopperGenie

SatelliteGuys Guru
Jul 19, 2022
Shreveport Louisiana USA
Even the Hopper Duo runs more quietly than a ViP DVR.
I can agree with the low fan noise on the duo, if buying used though, DO NOT OPEN IT TO CLEAN THE FAN, turns out that dish has made it to if you take out one of the screws it will break so then half the unit won't stay closed. I'm assuming that dish has done this to tell whether the warranty has been VOID.

pattykay

pattykay

formerly crodrules
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
I can agree with the low fan noise on the duo, if buying used though, DO NOT OPEN IT TO CLEAN THE FAN, turns out that dish has made it to if you take out one of the screws it will break so then half the unit won't stay closed. I'm assuming that dish has done this to tell whether the warranty has been VOID.
I'm not sure exactly what you broke, but I can say that I was able to successfully take apart a Hopper Duo and put it back together without that kind of problem. I was even able to put a non-working hard drive inside it, so I could salvage the internal hard drive that originally came in it, before I sent it back to Dish. (That Hopper Duo had died from some other issue, but the internal hard drive was still functional.)

Reactions: TheKrell
HopperGenie

HopperGenie

SatelliteGuys Guru
Jul 19, 2022
Shreveport Louisiana USA
I'm not sure exactly what you broke, but I can say that I was able to successfully take apart a Hopper Duo and put it back together without that kind of problem. I was even able to put a non-working hard drive inside it, so I could salvage the internal hard drive that originally came in it, before I sent it back to Dish. (That Hopper Duo had died from some other issue, but the internal hard drive was still functional.)
I’m assuming I put a screw in the wrong spot

J

johnd393

Sep 1, 2007
I'm running it with the cover off and trying to observe the fan operation. Mostly I don't see the fan running. It ran a little when the unit was first powered up. At some point I'm gonna stick a meter on the fan wires and see if it's powered to run and not starting. Perhaps it stays cool enough with the cover off to not switch the fan on. I turned off the exterior fan that was blowing over it yesterday.
I did hear some noises one night that could have been fan bearing noises or from something else altogether.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)